Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk me OFF my eating ledge! Help? :-)

I'm 9 days post op, and starting to eat things I shouldn't! I am supposed to be on 2 weeks of liquids, cream Soups and yogurt are allowed. The first week I did strictly broths and Water, Protein Shakes. Then slowly started with yogurt and cream soups thinned with milk. Now in the last 2 days I have been slowly trying other soft foods. They are going down fine, no pain, nothing bad happening. But in the back of my mind I know I am not supposed to start soft foods for another 5 days. So far I have had a bite of mashed potatoes, a few tablespoons chili mushed up into very thin consistency, a small piece of cheese that I sucked on until it was liquid. I know I shouldn't, so why cant I say no!?! I'm not hungry, no hunger at all, I just feel like I should eat something that isn't chicken broth!

KNOCK IT OFF!! I think the best way to look at this time right after surgery is that it's NOT A DIET. It is a slow progression back to "real" food to let your stomach heal! It was cut and burned off then stapled back together. And things won't hurt right now because most likely it is still numb and swollen. Be good to yourself! Give yourself time :)

The time to start conditioning yourself to say no to things you shouldn't have is now. You trusted your doctor to slice you open and take out a perfectly good stomach (ok 85%) why, why, why would you NOT follow instructions now?

You will hear others say that their doc allowed different things. Your doctor told you to wait 5 more days. Not judging or meaning to lecture, but like Laura said, you are numb and swollen. You even said you are not hungry. I wish I could remember which vet I'm quoting here, but you had surgery on your stomach, not your head. You need to get yourself to a place where you don't let your head win out over what is best for you. You can say no. You just have to commit to it.

Don't be a test case here, follow what your doctor laid out.

It will get easier, stay strong.

Listen to the ladies - you don't want complications that could have been avoided. It's good that you reached out for help, but get on here BEFORE you put something in your mouth

I totally get where you are coming from. I am also 9 days out and am bored with what I'm having now. I think that is the most powerful thing to overcome. Like you said, I'm not hungry, I'm just bored with my current selection. It's hard, but I'm going to stick it out for another 5 days until I meet with my NUT. Stay strong! We can do it!! :)

Habits are hard, if we were good at breaking habits most likely we wouldn't need the surgery in the first place. You know what helped me a lot? sugar free popcicles. It counted as liquid which helped me with that intake and it took some time to finish it so it kept my mouth busy. I'm bad with trigger foods. Some things I just cant have near me. At all. If cheese is yours, get it out of the house. I don't know if it will help or not, but don't think of it as you are doing your normal "cheating" as well did on diets. This is a medical thing, and you don't want to risk any chance that you are damaging anything. For some reason things got easier for me after two weeks or so. At first I craved things, I wasn't hungry just wanted comfort food because I didn't feel good. It went away for me though in time. Perhaps call your doc and tell him/her about your struggles and see if he/she has any ideas :) Hang in there......as someone told me last week when I was downing goldfish crackers like a machine......YOU CAN DO THIS!

I was sleeved on the 11 th I completely feel you. There are so many things I would love to eat. I see things on TV that I would never eat in a million years that just look so tasty to me. But when I start to think those thoughts I grab a Popsicle or make a sugar free sno cone and read a book or something to take my mind off the food cause as we all know its not cause we are hungry. Good luck it will get better.

It's for the safety of your new stomach. I know it sucks but this phase will pass very soon!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches