Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else feeling down

I am one month post op. And I have been down for a few days and I'm worried because I was not like this Pre -op I was a pretty happy person. And I have been really depressed crying jags and not wanting to do anything I feel good body wise I'm losing weight I've lost 40 lbs but mentally I'm not so good kinda thinking I should go to my reg doctor and maybe get on some anti depression I do have meds for anxiety but I haven't taken them since I haven't had a panic attack.. Any Help or story's would really help..

Sorry this is so personal but I should be happy my family life is great

Unfortunately I think what you're feeling is really common after WLS. Our bodies go through so many changes, and it affects everyone differently. I feel fortunate I'm already on an antidepressant or I think I'd be a crying mess these days!

With rapid weight loss, your body is releasing massive amounts of estrogen that were stored in those fat cells. This is going to cause ups and downs and mess with your emotions. It is completely normal and this too shall pass!

Just remember to take some deep breaths and when you feel an episode coming on..get up and move about..the release of physical activity can help combat some of those feelings!

Unfortunately I think what you're feeling is really common after WLS. Our bodies go through so many changes' date=' and it affects everyone differently. I feel fortunate I'm already on an antidepressant or I think I'd be a crying mess these days![/quote']

Ok I just hate this feeling.. But I think I'm going to go get some antidepressants..

Im sorry I dont have any good news for you because 2day Im really down myself. I shouldnt be because just like you, I too have lost weight (30lbs) & Im only 2 weeks out but for some reason Im just not feeling into it. I feel like I wanna just climb back in bed, put the covers over my head & just cry myself to sleep. I think about how I have SOOOO much weight 2 lose & it gets 2 me EVERYTIME. All I can say is keep doing what you been doing as far as your weight lost is concerned & pray that moments like those pass. I know Im praying & HARD!

Ok I just hate this feeling.. But I think I'm going to go get some antidepressants..

Your doc may think for the short duration that antidepressants can help you get through the emotions you're feeling. I definitely second the notion of going for walks and getting out and about when you're feeling down. Endorphins released from walking can really help!

Sorry to hear you're having a down time, Maria. I hope things turn around quickly for you.

To the vets,do guys go through this too? Do our fat cells release anything during rapid weight loss? I've heard all my Vitamin D is in there.

Dear MariaL, i am a recently sleeved psycologist. What you are feeling may be perfectly normal. You are used to see yourself as an overweighted woman. This, even when is not the ideal way of being, has been your way for i dont know how long. We humans are animals of habits and we leatn about this habits. Now you are changing and even when changes are for good, they are not a bit easy. So i recommend you, more than taking antidepressant pills, go to avtherapist and work in change of habits . You will be ok but it will mean interanl work. Good luck and be string. You can break habits!!! We all can.

I'm feeling the same way... But at least you've lost substantial weight. I'm almost a month out and I have less than 6 pounds loss to show for it, so feeling like a failure. I am trying very hard not to think that way, but that combined with the constant struggle to get in enough Water and Protein and the low energy making me unable to do much exercise. I'm so emotional and frustrated.

My dr said lack of B12 can make u sad is this possible for you?

No I take my b12 everyday as well as my Vitamins

Thank you everyone for the great advise... I know it's horrible to say but I'm glad I'm not alone in this feeling.. I hope it passes soon

My Dr said not having enough fluids will cause you to mentally feel bad/down. Try setting a timer to remind you to take a sip of some fluids. Good luck! :)

What your feeling is pretty normal. My doctor put me on a antidepressant to help with my hot flashes but it also helped my depression. I was on a emotional roller coaster for a couple of months. I agree with the others, when down go outside and take a walk. Everyday does get better! :)