Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low calories-slow weight loss

I'm feeling a little down at the moment because in the first couple of weeks I lost 5 kgs and now I'm on soft diet and under 500 cal a day, exercising for about 40 min a day I'm loosing super slow about 700 grams a week. I don't understand why so slow. The main thing I struggle with is Water intake. Any advise highly appreciated

How far along are you? Just from my experience: the first 3 months I ate 400-600 calories a day. Month 4 I started eating about 800 but still tried to shoot for 600, it was just much harder. Now I am 5.5 months out and I shoot for 1000 calories a day. I lose about 1-2 lbs a week and don't have too much left til I hit goal. Everyone is different. My nutritionist doesn't recommend I eat more than 800 a day, but I feel more normal at 1000 and am still losing, so sometimes you know your body better than anyone.

You need to get your Water intake up. My nurse said that it helps with weight loss.

You are doing well, don't get too despondent, the weight will start to come off :-))))

How far along are you? Just from my experience: the first 3 months I ate 400-600 calories a day. Month 4 I started eating about 800 but still tried to shoot for 600' date=' it was just much harder. Now I am 5.5 months out and I shoot for 1000 calories a day. I lose about 1-2 lbs a week and don't have too much left til I hit goal. Everyone is different. My nutritionist doesn't recommend I eat more than 800 a day, but I feel more normal at 1000 and am still losing, so sometimes you know your body better than anyone.[/quote']

I'm 4 weeks post op and I'm on to soft food and stay bellow 500 calories. It's just the first couple of weeks I lost like 5 kilos and I've slowed right down.

I'm trying to keep my Water up but find it so hard, ill try do better though if its going to help ????. The only thing I REALLY miss is diet coke. How long til u can have diet soft drink again?

I started drinking it at 10 weeks.

I started drinking it at 10 weeks.

So you have been able to drink diet soda after the sleeve? Did it hurt or make you sick?

My nutritionist said no soda period. The carbonation stretches your stomach back out.

My nutritionist said no soda period. The carbonation stretches your stomach back out.

Oh crap don't want that. Will suss out what my Dietition says. Thanks for the heads up

I think you should take more exercise. 40 minutes are not just enough. I think that 40 minutes are consumed to warm up your body and not too much for your purpose. Must do one and half hour exercise daily. First 30 to 40 minutes for warm up your body and the other time you should do some cardio and other exercise like cycling or running. Also concentrate to your diet.

I'm feeling a little down at the moment because in the first couple of weeks I lost 5 kgs and now I'm on soft diet and under 500 cal a day, exercising for about 40 min a day I'm loosing super slow about 700 grams a week. I don't understand why so slow. The main thing I struggle with is Water intake. Any advise highly appreciated

I have been maintaining for 2.5 years, but I vividly remember the time when I was losing. I "ONLY" lost 62 lbs in 6 months. About 17 of that was the first month.......the rest of it, slowly but surely it came off. Don't worry, it will happen. My caloric intake was LOW the entire time I was losing, starting out immediately at about 300 calories, but during about one month out and until goal at six months, it ranged from 350 - 800. Never above 800 calories. I felt good, labs were good. I had to find a way to INCREASE my calories to maintain. Now, at 3 years I eat 1300 calories per day, Protein has always been good, starting about month 2 I had gotten the hang of it. Now, between 60 and 90 grams. Don't think of it as "ONLY" - think of it as gone for good. We didn't wake up fat and we don't wake up thin. Enjoy every lb you lose, don't freak out when the scale goes up and down a little. That is how I did the entire time.....but I knew there wasn't anything going into my mouth that shouldn't, if you're following the guidelines set out by your physician, you cannot fail!!!! Good luck, you're doing good!

I felt down the first few weeks after surgery and still get that way at times. I only lost 3 oinds thenfirst month. I was eating around 600 calories a day and me nutritionist said I had to increase calorie intake. It was very hard to consume so many calories, but I did increase my intake a little and lost 10 pounds the second month. I'm in my third month now and feel a bit discouraged again. I've put my scales out of sight for a while and will only weigh monthly at my doctor's office. I am going to tell the, that I can't force myself to eat. I eat 3 small meals a day and healthy Snacks in between. Still not nearly consuming the 1000 calories they suggested for me. I LOVE Water so that's not a problem. I find the more I drink, the more I want. So try to increase your Water intake a little each day.

As for carbonated beverages, my doc said I had to make a lifetime commitment to eliminate them. And I did.

Hang in there. This is the forum for you. Loosing slowly seems to be the only way for me.

One good thing about slow weight loss, people don't notice right away and you don't have to explain or defend your decission to have WLS.