Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing Addiction After Weight Loss...

I am getting a little concerned about my addiction for trying on clothing. My favorite past time right now is going to Goodwill and trying on clothing and buying the favorite things I try on. My mom let me go through her unwanted clothes the other day and I took home a trash bag full of clothes. It is so FUN to try on clothes now. I spent years hating to shop because nothing looked good and what fit looked like old lady clothes, but that is changing. I am just a little worried that this is becoming my transfer addiction. I am not spending a lot of money on the clothes, but my closet it becoming overwhelmingly full of clothes. I want them just because I can wear them. I know I can only wear one pair of jeans at a time, so why am I collecting so many pairs? I was just wondering if anyone else developed this problem after they lost weight and what did you do about it?

I'm now addicted to clothes and online shopping. I've been trying to curtail my addiction though.

I am probably the last person who should answer this post. Since I am fat, I buy shoes, handbags and stuff for the house. I don't know that I believe that anyone could have too many clothes - I can see myself doing the same thing, but you're so close to your goal - you should probably clear out some for your ultimate maintenance size

Take a bag with you every time you go to Goodwill. Then when you come home with another bag, you'll have space for it! And you're recycling!

Wow, Vidalia, I feel like deja vu! I think I could have written your post verbatim!! I , too, am going to Goodwill about once a week..and it is so much fun! I have finally been able to wear a med/large, 12/14, and end up buying stuff just because it fits and it's cheap! I am really enjoying finding the great deals, and have snagged some nice name brand stuff! Even a black lace dress for $5! I am having a hard time feeling guilty, though! I have a feeling too much of this is not healthy for us, though! (You know, anything that feels real good usually isn't good for you!) I am laughing at the coincidence of your post, because I had a great Goodwill trip today!

PS: I used to only be able to buy the shoes, purses, lots of jewelry, so I guess we can justify the clothes by needing them to go with what we already have! (And I donate LOTS of stuff back to them, too, from my son's closet and my own, so it's not really that bad, huh?)

i love online shopping now it worst T_T so many more choices

I'm being completely sincere here...I think buying second-hand clothes is a totally healthy, inexpensive, environmentally-friendly pastime!

But if you get to the point where you are overwhelmed by all the clothes you own, you could try curating and building the ultimate wardrobe. It could be a fun challenge!

I would make a list and basically set boundaries, like no more than four pairs of jeans, or six dresses, three coats, or whatever number works for you. And then keep on shopping as often as you want, but do it knowing that if you buy another dress and it takes you over your limit, you will have bring back and re-donate another. That way you're always free to look and if you really want it, buy, but only keeping the stuff you love the best.

PS: I used to only be able to buy the shoes, purses, lots of jewelry, so I guess we can justify the clothes by needing them to go with what we already have! (And I donate LOTS of stuff back to them, too, from my son's closet and my own, so it's not really that bad, huh?)

Exactly! And you're getting probably 4 or 5 outfits (or more!) for the price of one pair of pants from LB or Avenue!

I am no help here! I have always been a shopping addict at every weight I have been but when my weight is down, I go more crazy! I know (and look forward to) getting all new clothes! But I am currently on a shopping hiatus knowing its a waste to buy big sizes now. Good thing is, I kept all my size 10 from 3 years ago and 12 from two years ago and 14 from sat year so I am now trying to work back down into those sizes!

Oh, and the advise is good to declutter the closet- out with the old, in with the new!

Melixxa, I love your idea here. And just think of alk the other peiple we will be helping by donating back the clothes we have stored instead of them just laying around our house collecting dust.

Wait, did I write this post?? I do the same thing. I buy clothes at Thrift City every time I lose a size. The other day they had 75% off and I bought like 50 items all in sizes down to 10. I am 14 now. I know I am addicted but I keep cleaning out bigger stuff. I am not spending a whole lot so I don't feel too bad about it. Hopefully once I get to a size 8 or 6 I won't need an additional closet :)

My mother love her stores where she buys second hand clothes. I will say I bought new fitted clothes and feel way better self esteem wise than when wearing my baggy clothes.