Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. F. Garcia, 3 month update

Well its been a little over 3 months since I made the lifechanging trip to mexico and had surgery with Dr. Garcia.

As of today I am down 41 lbs. I just wanted to say I am doing GREAT! At this point I can eat most anything without problem (although plain Water still makes me sick) IF I wanted to I could easily eat quite a bit, HOWEVER having the surgery and seeing the weight loss has become an AMAZING motivation to stay on track. I now actually LOOK forward to exercising, it's become a time for quiet and to destress. I exercise at least 3x a week doing strength and cardio.

As for food, I found myself eating too many carbs these past few weeks and decided it was time to go back to basics and focus on Protein. I've been following the Atkins phase 1, BEFORE surgery giving up carbs would have been a nightmare and I would have been unsuccessful. NOW though I am half way through my first week on the low carb diet and feel fine, and havent had any struggle to do it or stick to it :)

I wouldnt say the sleeve FORCES me to eat right, or exercise, or stay on track. It instead MOTIVATES me to do so and gives me that little extra push I need. The sleeve has been my catalyst to get my eating under control and live healthy.

I am posting pics of my month progress (Please note the change in back fat. I was a low BMI to begin with, but decided on the surgery because I have scolisosis and have steel rods attached to my spine and the weight was causing me pain and discomfort. Now that I am carrying less weight my back feels SO much better)

ETA: also notice the short changes in the pics, The shorts I wore in my pre op pics dont fit any more and I've had to wear the bra on a tighter link :)

post-45061-13813666541958_thumb.jpg

Wow! Amazing transformation!! You look great! When did you start exercising? I am 11 days post op and have no energy. :-(

That's amazing! You are doing great. I'm glad your back is feeling better!!

Wow! Amazing transformation!! You look great! When did you start exercising? I am 11 days post op and have no energy. :-(

I started doing light walking as soon as I could after surgery. It was only a few weeks ago that I really felt like I could exercise for real

Fantastic! Looking forward to my journey as well. I am 15 days post op and started treadmill 3 days ago. Only doing a mile at 3.5 for 24 mins next week would love to go to 1.5 and so on. Are you experiencing any "new" symtoms at this stage? (Hair loss, food staying down, head aches etc)

This is what worries me. I've done low carb diets but I eventually stop and gain the weight back. I'm not paying all this money to go on a diet I'm paying it so I will have restriction and not want to eat a lot.

Btw I'm going to Garcia to be sleeved Monday and I did read somewhere that your weight loss outcome depends on the skill of the surgeon so it kind of has me worried at 3 months out if you have no restriction.

This is what worries me. I've done low carb diets but I eventually stop and gain the weight back. I'm not paying all this money to go on a diet I'm paying it so I will have restriction and not want to eat a lot.

Btw I'm going to Garcia to be sleeved Monday and I did read somewhere that your weight loss outcome depends on the skill of the surgeon so it kind of has me worried at 3 months out if you have no restriction.

I suppose I should clarify. I do have restriction but it is possible to eat around it. The sleeve doesn't magically force me to eat the right foods or right portions, it encourages me to stay on track. And I think people are misguided in thinking that they can have the sleeve and still eat whatever they want. For this tool to be effective you have to change the bad eating habits that made you overweight to begin with and make better choices.

I have consistently lost weight with no stalls, even when I was taking it a lot of carbs and very little Protein. I noticed my eating had gotten out of hand and chose to go Atkins for the week to regain control. And pre sleeve if i attempted atkins i was lucky if i could manage it for a day. but this time im not hungry and not craving the carbs because my sleeve is supporting me in making healthier choices. That's it, I don't consider this a diet but a lifestyle change.

The sleeve does work if you want it to :) and put it to good use

Fantastic! Looking forward to my journey as well. I am 15 days post op and started treadmill 3 days ago. Only doing a mile at 3.5 for 24 mins next week would love to go to 1.5 and so on. Are you experiencing any "new" symtoms at this stage? (Hair loss' date=' food staying down, head aches etc)[/quote']

Omg yes, the Hair loss. Thankfully I have a lot of hair so the loss doesn't bother me but once I hit 3 months it started lol I only ever threw up once after surgery. It used to be that I would daily feel nauseous from over eating but now that's a rare occurrence. I think I have figured out how to eat, and how much my sleeve can hold so I don't over eat and I don't have discomfort

The incredible shrinking woman! You look fab, and it sounds like the best part - you have energy and feel better!

WOW!! You look amazing!!! That's really fantastic that you have no restrictions on what types of food you can eat!!! I also believe and agree that for Sleeve patients, due to our tiny stomachs that a modified version of Atkins is the best way for us to eat!! I went with Dr. Garcia on April 29th, and I'm doing fantastic on my recovery as well!! A little concerned for Hair loss, but I have a lot of hair and it's thick too, so they have to thin it out anyway, I'm sure it won't be that bad. As for the people who think the sleeve is a solution for being overweight, they have a lot to learn!! There will always be restriction in portion but that in no way is going to effect the choices they make. I can eat 3-4 oz at a time and mostly anything I want without complication but am I going to stuff my face with Oreo's?? NO! Absolutely not!! Sleeve is a tool, not a solution. A lot of us have to learn how to eat again, and that includes a high Protein diet, and if you don't want to stall for very long or gain weight, common sense, stay away from empty carbs, if you want to poop regularly, eat more fiber!! Hence Atkins, low carb, high protein and high Fiber. Sure its not for everyone, but for me it makes sense.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. I applaud you for realizing you've been slipping up and adjusting your diet to suit!! That's quite an accomplishment in itself!! Keep up the good work girl! You looking amazing and inspiring us!!

WOW!! You look amazing!!! That's really fantastic that you have no restrictions on what types of food you can eat!!! I also believe and agree that for Sleeve patients' date=' due to our tiny stomachs that a modified version of Atkins is the best way for us to eat!! I went with Dr. Garcia on April 29th, and I'm doing fantastic on my recovery as well!! A little concerned for Hair loss, but I have a lot of hair and it's thick too, so they have to thin it out anyway, I'm sure it won't be that bad. As for the people who think the sleeve is a solution for being overweight, they have a lot to learn!! There will always be restriction in portion but that in no way is going to effect the choices they make. I can eat 3-4 oz at a time and mostly anything I want without complication but am I going to stuff my face with Oreo's?? NO! Absolutely not!! Sleeve is a tool, not a solution. A lot of us have to learn how to eat again, and that includes a high Protein diet, and if you don't want to stall for very long or gain weight, common sense, stay away from empty carbs, if you want to poop regularly, eat more fiber!! Hence Atkins, low carb, high protein and high fiber. Sure its not for everyone, but for me it makes sense.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. I applaud you for realizing you've been slipping up and adjusting your diet to suit!! That's quite an accomplishment in itself!! Keep up the good work girl! You looking amazing and inspiring us!![/quote']

Exactly! Couldn't have said it any better!

Woojooooo!!! Congrats, you looks amazing! !!!

Congrats!! You are looking great!