Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Months post surgery today and loving my sleeve!

It's working, it's really working! I can't believe I am 3 months post op today. As I wake up today, I am dragging 48 total pounds less out of bed. I am walking around, exercising and living 48 pounds lighter. Hard to believe. 48 pounds that I will never, ever see again! I tried lifting a 40 item the other day in Ikea and could barely get it off the ground. How on earth did I walk around with 24/7??

13 pounds pre operative lost and 35 post operative. I am over the moon about this. I know lots of people lose faster and I am thrilled for them, (and secretly wish I was them) but I am so happy with my loss thus far. Only about 4 or so pounds came off this month but seems like my size diminished more this month than ever. I was busting out of an 18W pre surgery and yesterday slipped into the size 12 cute shorts with the embroidered pockets (yes, even mom shorts can be cute! I have no intention of dressing like a 20 year old) I bought them my first shopping trip after surgery and fell in love with them. Couldn't get them past my thighs much less covering my rear!

Luck has been on my side, I must say that I had a very easy surgery and recovery. I followed my surgeon and NUT instructions (outside of using a straw a week early) and it has served me well. I am aware that there are a good number of people who, while following instructions to a T are not having as easy a time as I have. I am very grateful that has not been the case for me. I can eat anything now. I just eat WAY less. The eating plan that I am on with my NUT does not call for extremely low carbs. It calls for as balanced as I can get it, keeping in mind the Protein first, veggies/fruits second and have not made it to the carbs part as there just isn't room. We go out for a burger a few times per month and I have a few fries (5-6) and no bun. That has been the only carb that I have had any room for. They are good, but not the end all. I have not yet tried any breads, Pasta or sugars mostly because I have not craved them. That could be a slippery slope for me and so I choose not to go there yet till my feet are firmly planted. I am still finding my way.

It seems something has clicked for me. I look at food differently. The surgery was on my stomach, not my head but so far, my brain is wrapping around the changes well. I hope that continues. I am well aware the hardest part has yet to come. For most of us life long dieters, sticking with the plan is easy. Till we don't. Sometime, I know I will eat a cracker, tortilla chip or cookie. How will I handle it? I hope and pray well. I believe I was ready to make the life long changes. I won't know for sure till there is no "off limits" foods. I do know that I can never go back to the way things were before. I couldn't do any longer, that is why I made this very difficult decision to have this surgery. It must be a life change for me.

I feel like my life is back (mostly) to my new normal. I don't think about food and how I am going to get my nutrition constantly any longer. I go to happy hour with my friends. I enjoy a glass of wine. Even in a Mexican restaurant. In Texas, Tex Mex is a food group. chips are on the table before you can settle into your seat. They don't seem to bother me any longer. Honestly, I do miss a good frozen Margarita. That is one thing I will not indulge in again. Just way too much sugar. I love wine so I still enjoy. No one notices what I eat or don't eat. We are all way to busy catching up. 99% of the time I can find something on the menu that is not only healthy, but that I enjoy. I love food. I always will. Again, I am lucky, not too picky of an eater. Poultry, beef and fish are all yummy to me. If can't find anything I will ask for a grilled chicken breast and grilled veggies even if it's not on the menu. Never be afraid to ask. :) I enjoy a couple glasses of wine on the weekends. (all totally OK with surgeon and NUT) I realize I could be a few more pounds down the road if I didn't but one thing my NUT does stress is to get to my new normal as soon as possible and not look at it as a diet. Look at it as the rest of my life. Eat like a thin person from the start. Getting to goal in 4 months is not the object of the game. Eating right and yes, enjoying life is. It should take 9-12 months. That is the plan I am on, which I know differs from others. It works for me and I am loving it.

Difficulties so far is I need to be better at getting to the gym. I have not mastered it. At all. I don't like it one bit. I know it is necessary but if I can find an excuse NOT to go? Well, I will say THAT I have mastered. :wacko: :wacko: No bueno! I do go, not nearly as often as I should. Someone PLEASE send some tough love my way. My big girl panties fall down a bit in this area. In my defense, I am way more active around the house and garden. We also have pool so I do use that for exercise. No excuse.

All in all, I am thrilled with my new life. I am healthier then I have ever been in my adult life. My blood pressure is normal, as are ALL my vital levels, LDL, HDL tryglycerides and the list goes on. My husband is amazed at the change in me. He tells me the biggest change is inside me. He travels for work each week and when he comes home, he can also see the physical change. He has been my rock. I am a lucky girl to have been his wife for the last 33 years. :wub:

I know the most challenging part is yet to come. I feel strong, and healthy enough, physically and emotionally to handle what comes. I look forward to see what the next 3 months are like.

Sorry this is so long, lots of reflecting and thinking going on my little head today. :)

I wouldn't worry about the gym right now. Use your pool and every muscle! Walk, dance, move a little every day. I am still pre-surgery, but exercise is one thing I am good at. I NEED to walk my dog, I NEED to swim with my kids. I never NEEDED to go to the gym, so I avoided it like the plague. Then I got a personal trainer and felt guilty if I didn't go. (Not to mention, I had already paid for the session.) Personally, I hate the gym, but there are many other ways to exercise. It sounds like you have a great attitude. And if getting to the gym is important to you, maybe try a personal trainer! They are excellent motivation and can be very encouraging! :)

Amy

PS--I loved reading your story!

I wouldn't worry about the gym right now. Use your pool and every muscle! Walk, dance, move a little every day. I am still pre-surgery, but exercise is one thing I am good at. I NEED to walk my dog, I NEED to swim with my kids. I never NEEDED to go to the gym, so I avoided it like the plague. Then I got a personal trainer and felt guilty if I didn't go. (Not to mention, I had already paid for the session.) Personally, I hate the gym, but there are many other ways to exercise. It sounds like you have a great attitude. And if getting to the gym is important to you, maybe try a personal trainer! They are excellent motivation and can be very encouraging! :)

Amy

PS--I loved reading your story!

Thank you! I am kind of feeling on top of the world today! :)

Ain't it great! I don't know how to explain it, but it is like something just switch, clicked or farted and my mind is totally into this new lifestyle. I've had no trouble adjusting or accepting the new ways I now live. From the minute I went into surgery I've been high on my new life and could never be happier. I don't know what did it.

My only regrets are I wish everyone's journey could be like this and that I wish I could have done this in my youth. But.. I'll take what I have because I am a very happy person.

Congrats on your progress.. You're awesome!

Thank you for posting your in-progress success story! You are doing so well! I hope all of the newbies read this as well as all the "regret" posts, to get a balanced view. And I want to be exactly where you in three months!

thanks for the inspiration. just what I needed to see tonight. Very frustrsted. I am almost 4 months out and lost total of 45 lbs. I know I should be doing more for exercise but geez shouldn't i loose a couple more lbs. a month at least. Seems like I go 2 or 3 weeks with nothing thn loose 2 then another 3 weeks and then another 1 or 2...It can't be possible to eat hardly anything and not use better than this.

New, I'm so happy for you!!! You really have it going on and that is fabulous! I hope to be where you are in a matter of months.

You were so helpful to me when I wrote a thread about knowing I was gong to be a slow loser, and I was so grateful.

My surgery is coming up on June 18 and I pray that it will all work as easily for me:)

Congrats!!

thanks for the inspiration. just what I needed to see tonight. Very frustrsted. I am almost 4 months out and lost total of 45 lbs. I know I should be doing more for exercise but geez shouldn't i loose a couple more lbs. a month at least. Seems like I go 2 or 3 weeks with nothing thn loose 2 then another 3 weeks and then another 1 or 2...It can't be possible to eat hardly anything and not use better than this.

You have lost more than 10 pounds a month. How can you not be happy with that? Give yourself a break! :)

Sorry this is so long, lots of reflecting and thinking going on my little head today. :)

Thanks for sharing with us, I enjoyed reading it! You're an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others here!

Difficulties so far is I need to be better at getting to the gym. I have not mastered it. At all. I don't like it one bit. I know it is necessary but if I can find an excuse NOT to go? Well, I will say THAT I have mastered. :wacko: :wacko: No bueno! I do go, not nearly as often as I should. Someone PLEASE send some tough love my way. My big girl panties fall down a bit in this area. In my defense, I am way more active around the house and garden. We also have pool so I do use that for exercise. No excuse.

You don't have to go to the gym and spend time on every single machine there to feel like you've accomplished something. For starters, tomorrow go and walk the treadmill for 10 minutes. Bring a book with you, music, whatever you'd like. That's it, you're done for tomorrow. Do the same thing the day after. And the day after that. It's not about motivation, it's doing something necessary in your life to take care of yourself. No different than brushing your teeth. And you do it because you deserve to take care of yourself.

If the treadmill isn't your thing, try the elliptical or anything else that's easy for you.

In 30 days evaluate what's working for you and what your next goal will be (upping that 10 to 15 minutes, going at a faster pace, etc.)

I'll be more than happy to break out the "if my fat behind can walk 25 minutes on the treadmill you can do 10" speech for you if you need it! :D

It's hard sometimes not to be frustrated, but when I step back and look at the big picture, it's well over 10 pounds per month and that just reeks success!

Hang in there, it will come off, as long as you keep doing what you are supposed to, it has no choice! :)

Ain't it great! I don't know how to explain it, but it is like something just switch, clicked or farted and my mind is totally into this new lifestyle. I've had no trouble adjusting or accepting the new ways I now live. From the minute I went into surgery I've been high on my new life and could never be happier. I don't know what did it.

My only regrets are I wish everyone's journey could be like this and that I wish I could have done this in my youth. But.. I'll take what I have because I am a very happy person.

Congrats on your progress.. You're awesome!

Thanks! It is great, that is a perfect way to explain it. I do feel high on life and I don't ever want to come down. I do wish I could have done this in my youth!

I went and splurged yesterday on a new bra, (the girls are falling out the bottom of my current ones) I love it! It's pretty and lacy and dare I say, a tad on the sexy side? Me, in a sexy bra? Whodda thunk it? And a couple pairs of shorts to get me through the hot Texas summer! I am hoping by summer's end they will be falling off too!

All I can say is when I get my soon to be formerly chubby butt into a pair of size 8 anything, I'll probably have an instant orgasam ! :D

Are we allowed to say that??? :D :D

Congratulations.......and thank you for sharing, your post is encouraging for us pre-ops!

Thanks for all the inspiration everyone! You are making me smile SO BIG reading along!

Your positive attitude and optimism coupled with acceptance of the process will continue to serve you well and you will float to your goals!