Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, my name is Martha. I am new to this forum and I was looking for a bit of advice. I realize that this is a decision I have to make, but I am all over the spectrum right now with all sorts of emotions. I am excited, scared, confused, mad, happy etc...I have been approved for the Sleeve on Monday 06/03/13. But I am really scared of all the complications I read around here. I went to see my surgeon (who I am very pleased with), I went through all the classes and seminars, and they made it seems so straight and clear cut. I knew at that point I could work on the healthier lifestyle, and begin frequent exercises! As I started my research on the internet, I began to get scared, reading all the negativity and complications. They have been discussed with me in my surgeons office but he explained as if they were extremely rare complications. Especially for someone in my condition. No, diabetes, blood pressure issues or sleep apnea. Cleared with flying colors from the Psyche, the heart dr, and the lung dr. Now I feel I am so stressed out and I don't know what to do??? when the hospital called and Friday and told me my surgery time... I gasped and told the lady, Ill be there if I don't decide to leave the country and never come back! (Needless to say I am still here). A lot of my decision is based on my 10 yo son. I want to be here for him for as long as I can!! and the Question now is, which one has me closer to Heaven? Sorry to bring this up, I know not a great subject, but it is reality for me (maybe toooo dramatic). Its really hard to talk to family, friends & co-workers, they all say "go for it!" uuhhhmmmm, wait a minuite, you are not going through what I am going through. I must add, I have never had an elective surgery, just an unexpected C-Section and of coarse I didn't have time to research the internet for that surgery since it was all of a sudden. I really love to hear all the great success stories here that had no complications I truly deep in my heart envy all of you. And those I have read that have complications I will continue to pray for you!!! Any words of encouragement or discouragement would be greatly appreciated!

I had the most horrible complications with my sleeve.......I was 5 months in the hospital and almost died.....That said........with everything I went through and I went through a lot.....116 lbs lighter and happy I did it....I eat better, feel better and most of all I am going to be here for my grand daughter......She is the most precious thing to me and it was all worth it...

Any surgery is a risk...even having teeth removed......You have to decide what is the most important things in your life and go for it..

I was 1 in 600 patients my surgeon did and I was in great health....but nothing is sure in this world...so you better make sure that you have the right motives for this new life that you will be having.....

All the best girl!!!!!

I had no idea if I would actually show up. I have been an RN for over 30 years. I knew everyone In the OR. I trusted my Doctor. I was just scared. I had to have my right hip replaced twice and it was horrible both times. This was cake compared to that. The worst part is the day of surgery when you can't eat or drink anything. But it's just one day. I took my pain medicine every 4 hours until I was not sore. I was able to walk right away and I did that a lot. I used my IS to prevent pneumonia. I went back to work 6 days after but my Doctor sent me home and told me because I had my gall bladder out as well he wanted me to rest. So take 2 weeks if you can. Complications are rare. Do what they tell you to do and you will be fine. I am now 12 days out and am so excited for the future. Good luck and we will look forward to hearing from you post op.

Hello! I was sleeved on May 21st. The whole month leading up to surgery, I was an emotional mess!!! I cried every day. I updated my will and life insurance policies. I had read all the horror stories & felt like I would be one of them. I have never had any health problems, other than asthma, which I was born with & basically grown out of. My surgeon told me the risks, but also said I had a higher chance of dying in the car due to a wreck on the way to the hospital than having something go wrong. Well, the surgery lasted a whole 30 minutes. I had some nausea the first 24 hours and couldn't drink plain Water. I still have a problem with plain water, but it is getting better & Crystal Light helps. I have had no complications & I feel like I really stressed myself out preop for nothing. I know those emotions are normal, but the risk of something going wrong is very low. I went back to work after one week. You will do great!!!

Here's psuchic help with your decision...

Play the odds. Have you been able to do sustained weight loss without surgery? If you can, DON'T do surgery! If you can't, where will you be this time next year. The worst case scenarios happen very, very, very infrequently. Me, I'll be at the hospital the day after you, let's be pals.

I am literally crying (doesn't take much right now) at all the supportive responses! Yes shrilann I will be taking 2 weeks off, mystigal, I have heard I have a greater chance of getting killed in a car accident than by this surgery. At Arts 137, would love to have a pal! Thank you all feeling better ...

At Arts 137, I too am federal!

I was sleeved on may 21. I had studied everything available to know all about the surgery. I am 53 so I not too young either. Well, I was prepared for anything and everything, I figured I only have so many years left and wouldn´t it be great to live those years in good health? First day post op I said to my self, OMG what have I done? That was just a moment and from then on it has been nothing but good. No pain, no nausea, no hunger. I drink and eat what I am supposed to, lbs are flying off and I couln`t be happier. Today I went in to the store to look at clothes I will soon be able to wear.

I was sleeved on may 21. I had studied everything available to know all about the surgery. I am 53 so I not too young either. Well, I was prepared for anything and everything, I figured I only have so many years left and wouldn´t it be great to live those years in good health? First day post op I said to my self, OMG what have I done? That was just a moment and from then on it has been nothing but good. No pain, no nausea, no hunger. I drink and eat what I am supposed to, lbs are flying off and I couln`t be happier. Today I went in to the store to look at clothes I will soon be able to wear.

I love this, congratulations to you! I pray to have your same recovery!

Hello' date=' my name is Martha. I am new to this forum and I was looking for a bit of advice. I realize that this is a decision I have to make, but I am all over the spectrum right now with all sorts of emotions. I am excited, scared, confused, mad, happy etc...I have been approved for the Sleeve on Monday 06/03/13. But I am really scared of all the complications I read around here. I went to see my surgeon (who I am very pleased with), I went through all the classes and seminars, and they made it seems so straight and clear cut. I knew at that point I could work on the healthier lifestyle, and begin frequent exercises! As I started my research on the internet, I began to get scared, reading all the negativity and complications. They have been discussed with me in my surgeons office but he explained as if they were extremely rare complications. Especially for someone in my condition. No, diabetes, blood pressure issues or sleep apnea. Cleared with flying colors from the Psyche, the heart dr, and the lung dr. Now I feel I am so stressed out and I don't know what to do??? when the hospital called and Friday and told me my surgery time... I gasped and told the lady, Ill be there if I don't decide to leave the country and never come back! (Needless to say I am still here). A lot of my decision is based on my 10 yo son. I want to be here for him for as long as I can!! and the Question now is, which one has me closer to Heaven? Sorry to bring this up, I know not a great subject, but it is reality for me (maybe toooo dramatic). Its really hard to talk to family, friends & co-workers, they all say "go for it!" uuhhhmmmm, wait a minuite, you are not going through what I am going through. I must add, I have never had an elective surgery, just an unexpected C-Section and of coarse I didn't have time to research the internet for that surgery since it was all of a sudden. I really love to hear all the great success stories here that had no complications I truly deep in my heart envy all of you. And those I have read that have complications I will continue to pray for you!!! Any words of encouragement or discouragement would be greatly appreciated![/quote']

I have been going through the same thing. One day I'm sure and ready and the next minute I'm crying saying there's no way i can do this. I had looked into getting sleeved last year and made appt with the dr. I didn't even show up to my appt. i was so not ready. I had no peace with getting sleeved. A year later God has worked miracles in my life and has given me a second chance at so many things. I prayed on it everyday if this was the right thing for me to do. He gave me the peace i needed. I saw the dr. did my evaluation and saw the nutritionist on a Friday and by Monday my insurance approved me. The last couple of days have been crazy with the what ifs until last night when I'm looking at a magazine and i read this: As you take the next step in Your Journey....

He will cover you with his feathers.

He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.

Psalm 91:4

That was my confirmation! I get sleeved Tuesday! I good luck to u! I hope u find peace in ur decision.

Hello, my name is Martha.

Hi Martha!

... I realize that this is a decision I have to make, but I am all over the spectrum right now with all sorts of emotions. I am excited, scared, confused, mad, happy etc...

Welcome to normal, Martha.

But I am really scared of all the complications I read around here. I went to see my surgeon (who I am very pleased with), I went through all the classes and seminars, and they made it seems so straight and clear cut. I knew at that point I could work on the healthier lifestyle, and begin frequent exercises! As I started my research on the internet, I began to get scared, reading all the negativity and complications.

This very thing had me freaked out for weeks before my surgery. I reminded myself of the many people around me who were wildly successful with this surgery. I also reminded myself of all the times I tried to lose weight on my own and failed.

Now I feel I am so stressed out and I don't know what to do??? when the hospital called and Friday and told me my surgery time... I gasped and told the lady, Ill be there if I don't decide to leave the country and never come back! (Needless to say I am still here).

Glad you stayed. You will be too! :D

I must add, I have never had an elective surgery, just an unexpected C-Section and of coarse I didn't have time to research the internet for that surgery since it was all of a sudden.

The last time I had surgery was when I was about 6 years old to get my tonsils removed. I woke up from surgery this past Tuesday expecting to be in excruciating pain but instead felt an intense gas cramp that would not go away. They offered me pain meds and I took them. By the time they wheeled me to my room I was laughing and joking with people along the way. The gas sensation turned into a feeling like the day after trying to do 1000 situps. A little uncomfortable to laugh or cough and move sometimes, but not a fraction as bad as I was expecting. The liquid hydrocodone they gave me has been an immense help.

You're in a good place here. Keep coming back!

I have been going through the same thing. One day I'm sure and ready and the next minute I'm crying saying there's no way i can do this. I had looked into getting sleeved last year and made appt with the dr. I didn't even show up to my appt. i was so not ready. I had no peace with getting sleeved. A year later God has worked miracles in my life and has given me a second chance at so many things. I prayed on it everyday if this was the right thing for me to do. He gave me the peace i needed. I saw the dr. did my evaluation and saw the nutritionist on a Friday and by Monday my insurance approved me. The last couple of days have been crazy with the what ifs until last night when I'm looking at a magazine and i read this: As you take the next step in Your Journey....

He will cover you with his feathers.

He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.

Psalm 91:4

That was my confirmation! I get sleeved Tuesday! I good luck to u! I hope u find peace in ur decision.

That is EXACTLY what I needed to hear! Good luck to you as well!

[/font]

Hi Martha!

[/font]

Welcome to normal, Martha.

[/font]

This very thing had me freaked out for weeks before my surgery. I reminded myself of the many people around me who were wildly successful with this surgery. I also reminded myself of all the times I tried to lose weight on my own and failed.

[/size][/font]

Glad you stayed. You will be too! :D

[/size]

The last time I had surgery was when I was about 6 years old to get my tonsils removed. I woke up from surgery this past Tuesday expecting to be in excruciating pain but instead felt an intense gas cramp that would not go away. They offered me pain meds and I took them. By the time they wheeled me to my room I was laughing and joking with people along the way. The gas sensation turned into a feeling like the day after trying to do 1000 situps. A little uncomfortable to laugh or cough and move sometimes, but not a fraction as bad as I was expecting. The liquid hydrocodone they gave me has been an immense help.

You're in a good place here. Keep coming back!

Thanks for the break down! This is great, I feel like "finally" people who understand me and how I feel! Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I wish you continued success in your SPEEDY recovery!

If you are not religious, then this post isnt for you. One week before surgery I went to talk to my pastor. Like I said before, I was an emotional mess. I am a single mom to a 9 year old girl and didnt want to leave my daughter without a parent, especially due to an elective surgery! I told my pastor that and he said "Your death certificate has already been written. If May 21st is your day, it is your day. And whether you go into that operating room or not is not going to change the date on your death certificate." That really put it in perspective for me.

Again, no offense to anyone who is not religious.

Take it from somebody who truly regrets this surgery - even though I have had no complications so far (knock on wood) - unless you are 110% sure- don't do it - it completely changes your life - and not all the changes are good. I read & researched for a year...thought I was 100 %...woke up regretting it and regret it more each day. Life is more than what Mr. scale says...I just didn't realize that soon enough.

Do what is best for you & your situation. I wish you the best of luck!