Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret telling people at work

I was so excited for my surgery and I've pretty much told everyone in my life including co-workers about it. My family has been great, but some of my co-workers have been shady. I've even had a few try to tell me that WLS is cosmetic! As if. Now I am not one who cares too much about what others think. But it's super annoying. half of the reason I shared is because 75% of the women I work with are overweight themselves and perhaps hearing my story would inspire them. Instead they hate. Well they will really hate me a year from now when I'm a size 8. Ha.

highest weight = 228 DOS = 219 CW = 203 DOS was May 7th 2013

There haters... focus on the positive things to come out of this WLS. Look into proper exercise, diet and work your sleeve. If your family is supportive, that's all you need, and that's all that matters... who cares what some jealous, insecure coworkers think.

I totally understand what you are talking about! I told the women in my department that I thought I was close to and I thought they were my friends, including my boss and the VP of the company. Well, everything has changed...and I am only 11 days post op. Every time I say anything related to the surgery, they roll their eyes and walk away. I wish I wouldn't have said anything. Even got to the point that I am thinking about looking for another place to work.

I believe analytical thinking is growing increasingly scarce. In the narrowly confined brain activity of the mediocre there is little room for consideration of anything beyond the norm. The average yokel reacts from blind emotion and fear. It annoys the zombie hordes when someone exhibits life beyond widely accepted stumbling and mumbling. Their brain hardly functions and they want to eat yours because it does.

I have been an oddball in many ways all of my life. Being different is not so bad. After a while you are happy that you cut yourself from the herd.

I am glad you see their retribution coming in the form of your coming slim form. It's turn or burn for them: turn to your side in applause or burn with envy. Let 'em stew in their ignorance.

I am so proud over my sleeve and no one could ever make me feel different about it. Here is what I think, as long as you are fat your ok. Now Girl, you´re loosing weight and so you can become a threat. Enjoy your ride and endure the envy that comes with it!

I know how you feel. When I talked to my sister about revising to the sleeve she asked some questions and I answered all of them honestly. She then told me that I had said all of the same things before my band surgery and that was an epic fail. That was pretty mean. I thank the band for helping me not get to 400 lbs. she is heavier than me and I almost thnk she is jealous that I am brave enough to get the revision to the sleeve. But I think that people may not accept it until some weight comes off and you are getting healthier! I have to really not care what anyone else thinks... Congrats on being sleeved btw! You are on your way to proving everyone wrong :)

I totally understand what you are talking about! I told the women in my department that I thought I was close to and I thought they were my friends, including my boss and the VP of the company. Well, everything has changed...and I am only 11 days post op. Every time I say anything related to the surgery, they roll their eyes and walk away. I wish I wouldn't have said anything. Even got to the point that I am thinking about looking for another place to work.

People are so mean! I have told a select few at work and I only bring it up if they ask. But they seem to be doing ok with my choice. Hang in there. You may lose relationships but you will be gaining a better quality of life!

I know what you mean.. for the most part.. the nurses I work with at the hospital have been very supportive of my surgery..and some have inquired themselves into surgery for them.. but.. at my morning job.. most are very happy for me and tell me how great I look.. but there is one nurse there.. Im sure she means well.. she is over weight and chooses to do it naturally.. (lose wt). but it seems like she always has to tell me when she sees me that she will not have surgery to lose wt.. (not like ive asked to have surgery either) she always says.. least I didnt have surgery to lose weight. welll.. really? guess what.. Im down 94lbs..and you are what.. hmmmm 3mo and down.. 5lbs? really? well good for you. Im happy for you.. why cant you be happy for me? cuz you are way Jealous of how I look now.. fabulous.. thats what every one says.. and she looks? well lets face it.. 5lbs is not much.. she looks the same. I just smile and say good job.. way to go and keep it up.. and smile. LOL YaY us losers LOL.. keep it up.. .we ROCK!!

I have been told by 3 people lately that I took the easy route by having the sleeve......There is nothing eay about changing your life to be a healthier you....The sleeve is a tool, we have to do the work to succeed.....

I don't care what they think......down 116 lbs and counting.....Go girl go and take no prisoners...

It seems like this procedure (or any WLS, really) is the great litmus test for relationships. All kinds of relationships--family, friends, significant others, spouses, co-workers.

I look at it this way; if my connection to that person--or group of people--is so shaky that being sleeved will destroy it, am I really any worse off? Better to clear the negativity, and ditch the haters! I'll be thankful if my sleeve and the success it brings also helps me shake off anyone who isn't really who they claim to be in my life! Sometimes you gotta lift the rock to see the creepy crawlies underneath for what they really are. Rock that sleeve and let them choke on their jealousy.

Its so sad to hear how people really are when you get to the nitty gritty about things. You know, You make sure to just take of yourself and let your family be there to support you and we are here as well. We must all realize that we are NOT in control of what others think of us or what the don't b/c all in all, it is us who have to deal w/ what life has in store for us. You know the saying, "misery loves company"? , well, we know that being over weight is a miserable thing in ones life, and as you stated, most of the women there at your work are over weight too, so sure, you all laugh to each other while covering up your pain. Now that you've decided to not only verbalize your pain to them, you've decided to do something about it...and b/c you will NO longer be miserable, well, there too goes the company!! I am NOT making excuses for them, but their problem is probably the fact that now they feel forced to have to do somethhing about their own situations, and just like the decisions we had to make to have surgery, they too are going to have to self evaluate and you know that its difficult when you're not ready. So chin up, we are here for you and we are proud of your decision that YOU made for YOU!! Congrats and God Bless:)

I know what you mean.. for the most part.. the nurses I work with at the hospital have been very supportive of my surgery..and some have inquired themselves into surgery for them.. but.. at my morning job.. most are very happy for me and tell me how great I look.. but there is one nurse there.. Im sure she means well.. she is over weight and chooses to do it naturally.. (lose wt). but it seems like she always has to tell me when she sees me that she will not have surgery to lose wt.. (not like ive asked to have surgery either) she always says.. least I didnt have surgery to lose weight. welll.. really? guess what.. Im down 94lbs..and you are what.. hmmmm 3mo and down.. 5lbs? really? well good for you. Im happy for you.. why cant you be happy for me? cuz you are way Jealous of how I look now.. fabulous.. thats what every one says.. and she looks? well lets face it.. 5lbs is not much.. she looks the same. I just smile and say good job.. way to go and keep it up.. and smile. LOL YaY us losers LOL.. keep it up.. .we ROCK!!

I know what you mean. As if losing the weight naturally makes it more legitimate or makes her a better person. I'm quite sure most if not all people who have decided on weight loss surgery have tried for many years to lose it naturally and have not had long term success. Just because we chose to face reality and realize that we may need more assistance doesn't make the weight loss less valid. We still have to exercise and make the right food choices. For me the surgery has forced me to make changes and has given me the motivation to exercise and make good food choices because I see it working.

I totally understand what you are talking about! I told the women in my department that I thought I was close to and I thought they were my friends' date=' including my boss and the VP of the company. Well, everything has changed...and I am only 11 days post op. Every time I say anything related to the surgery, they roll their eyes and walk away. I wish I wouldn't have said anything. Even got to the point that I am thinking about looking for another place to work.[/quote']

I told this one lady who is super skinny, and now somehow always manages to bring up how lucky she is because she eats what she wants just has super fast metabolism in every conversation (she never talked about that before my surgery) that I don't give a damn what anyone says about me behind my back because they are cowards. I don't really care what there opinions are as long as they keep it to themselves. If you want to compare my sleeve to a boob job that's your uninformed decision. I just don't want to hear it. I don't bring up my surgery anymore. But they sure love asking about my progress and what I'm eating. I keep it vague now.

Don't let those people run you out of a job. Confide in those that support you and screw the rest. You will be happier with you when all is said and done... And that's ALL that matters. You will also be healthier and out live all those b*****s lol.

I know how you feel. When I talked to my sister about revising to the sleeve she asked some questions and I answered all of them honestly. She then told me that I had said all of the same things before my band surgery and that was an epic fail. That was pretty mean. I thank the band for helping me not get to 400 lbs. she is heavier than me and I almost thnk she is jealous that I am brave enough to get the revision to the sleeve. But I think that people may not accept it until some weight comes off and you are getting healthier! I have to really not care what anyone else thinks... Congrats on being sleeved btw! You are on your way to proving everyone wrong :)

Sisters are naturally competitive. Sounds like she doesn't want to be left behind. Misery loves company.