Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not going to lie...I like to drink and drink a lot. I only drink scotch on the rocks or vodka on the rocks. Since there are no juices mixed in I am not worried about the calories as much. Anyone out there drink it straight like me? Are there any problems? How long did you wait post-op? I don't want to give up drinking entirely and I am going on vacation in August and might need some liquid refreshments.

Please nobody tell me to take is slow or one-day-at-a-time.

Thanks

I drank at 10 weeks out, with no complications. My doctor told me I am ok. Just watch empty calories, ulcers and transfer of addiction (food for alcohol) I drink seldomly during a given month with no problems. Lots of people have their own thoughts on this- and it can be a touchy subject.

I drink beer and cider, not liquor- I don't like it. :(

I had my first drink 9 weeks post op...i am a bartender so although i dont really drink at work i do socialize and like my cocktails. I am a beer and vodka drinker and shots are always in the mix. i havent had any beer ,i scared of the bubbles and i usually use seltzer as a mix so i cant do that now either ..also the shots i havent done .. but i love my coconut vodka on the rocks with a bit of pineapple juice now or my vodka and splash of cran with lots of ice.. We have to live our lives so enjoy !!! Its just the calories i think we need to watch out for!

Those drinks still have calories!

Okay, you asked for info, so I'm going to give you some with "no holds barred".

Let's start with some facts:

Beer - 12 oz - 5-6% alcohol - 150 calories

Beer, light - 12 oz - 4-5% alcohol - 105 calories

Wine - 4 oz - 12% alcohol - 77 calories

Wine cooler - 10 oz - 5-6.5% alcohol - 125 calories

Spirits - 1 oz - 40-80% alcohol - 64-84 calories

Liquiers - 1 oz - 16-26% alcohol - 103-123 calories

You're not using mixers, so you think calories are not a problem. WRONG!

Just ONE drink per day will use up approx. 10% of your target calorie intake in the first few months of your post-op life. That is without any redeeming nutrional qualities such as Protein, Vitamins, minerals, etc.

In fact, alcohol causes very significant dehydration during the metabolization process (that's a large part of why people get such horrible hangovers). The liver metabolizes fat (important during weight loss), however alcohol intake takes "priority" in the liver and fat metabolism will take a "back seat" while it works through your alcohol.

Alcohol consumption causes increased loss of Calcium, magnesium, potassium and zinc. It interferes with Vitamin absorption (B1, B6, B12 and folate), as well as interfering with the processing of Vitamin A and D.

Post-op you are already facing a significant challenge in maintaining proper nutrtion, preventing muscle loss due to Protein canabalization (the body prefers to break down muscle for energy before it breaks down fat) and dehydration due to smaller quantities of food/fluid intake.

The body also needs much more Water to process fat and alcohol than you normally need when not in weight-loss mode.

SO WHAT, you say? A couple of drinks a day won't hurt me (I assume you mean at least that many if you "like to drink a lot").

Aside from the obvious health risks excessive alcohol brings into your life without this surgery, you MUST realize that drinking AFTER this surgery will negate most of the positive effects of this very drastic decision you've made to remove 85% of your stomach!

Now as to problems.......

You wil get drunk VERY fast compared to pre-op. That could lead to safety issues (driving, operting machinery, hell even walking could be dangerous!). And when you drink, you lose your inhibitions, and sometimes self-control. But for the first few months of post-op life, you MUST be super-careful what you eat/drink so you don't damage your stomach and possibly cause a life-threatening leak!

It's hard to be in good control and make smart decisions when you are impaired. And you WILL be impaired, even if you're not ready to admit that to yourself or anyone else. The brain does not operate at optimal performance levels with toxins "on board" and that is literally what alcohol is, and that is why we get drunk.

I'm not saying NEVER drink. But you should wait until you're stable and fully recovered from surgery (that can take up to 6 months), on a good stable eating plan (also at least 6 months) and when you do start drinking again, make it in a controlled and safe environment (at home?).

Okay. So now you know and you can make informed decisions. It's up to you.

Love your new profile pic Webchickadee! I always enjoy your posts. They are rational and pragmatic without being preachy. You are a huge asset to these boards!

I will just tell you from personal experience that I drank once at almost 5 months out & I don't ever want to drink again. Whiskey neat was my drink of the night. I am no light weight drinker. I got VERY drunk VERY quickly. In the past I would have had a liter of Water & 2 Tylenol before bed. With the sleeve I just couldn't get anywhere near that quantity of water in. I had one of the worst hangovers of my life the day after. The alcohol tore my whole intestinal system up. It was horrible. I can tell you that I have absolutely no interest in ever drinking again. So, I won't preach about calories or addictions, but I'll tell you that it straight up sucked. Big time. So, proceed with caution.

alcohol has affected my weight loss, I'm definitely limiting myself to 1 day at week.

after the surgery I was feeling depressed and found myself drinking 3 - 4 times per week, n 9 months Ive only lost 60lbs. which makes me sad to know, i let my emotions take over.

I will definitely think twice about drinking during the week n try to workout instead of thinking of drinking.