Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not that I have the ability, at this point, to enjoy anything other than Full liquids, I am just passed 2 weeks Post Op and my doctor's office says I must be on liquids for 4 weeks, that is unless they progress me at my first appointment after surgery, which is next Thursday.....BUT, I am curious as I look through diet recipes on this site, I see where low-fat mayo and butters and other products are utilized, I was just curious if using the actual product, albeit not as much would be better than a product that has been transformed by chemicals and other processes?

I am wondering if the natural products would be easier on the stomach?

Just wondering if anyone has any input on this???? :huh:

Some use low fat, some believe that they lose better using full fat but less. It is trail and error. See what works best for you. Just make sure you track your calories and Protein and carbs. That is very inportant.

I don't use any products that tout themselves as "light", "low fat" etc. If they aren't naturally low fat or low in calories, I usually just don't bother with them. If you are unable to do that, it is better in the long run, from a nutritional standpoint, to eat the regular item, not one that has been overly processed and contains way to many chemicals to be healthy.

I work at staying away from processed foods, except my Protein Shakes and Protein bars.... The less ingredients the better! :)

Everyone has different opinions & experiences with this. Some swear by fat-free everything. Some more natural. I am 6 months out & have found that my sleeve has an aversion to a lot of things. Particularly processed foods. Even at this point, every time that I try a food that I haven't had post-sleeve I treat as if I have never had it before. It's really like learning to eat all over again.

Personally, the more ingredients on a label the sicker it made me. I'm talking afraid to be 3 feet from the bathroom sick. It was awful. I have also found that my sleeve doesn't tolerate meat...not even moist & overly chewed. So, I stick to mostly very basic whole food ingredients now. Luckily I have a share in our local CSA. So, I eat a lot of Beans, rice, vegetable stir fries, vegetables with home made hummus, fruit & nuts. I depend on Protein Shakes to make sure that I do get in enough Protein. I have had to learn to be very creative so as not to get tired of them! :D

My Dr.'s office transitioned slowly too...1 week on just Water, followed by 2 weeks of just shakes & Water. Then some food so mushy I didn't want it...lol. I thought that I was going to lose my mind, but it gets easier in time. All I can say is don't let others dictate your diet, not even your NUT. Mine tells me that I eat too many carbs, but I get also get in all my Protein, water & exercise. I'm down 101 lbs in 6 months so I'm not complaining! Take advantage of this time to learn how to really eat healthfully. Listen to your body (not your head hunger talk) & you will make the right choices. It looks like you're already off to a great start!

I use full fat mayo and cheeses. I would rather eat less and have the full flavor. I do also use the olive oil mayo sometimes. If I don't have some oils in my diet, it messes up my digestion. I do use them in moderation though!

I just buy what I prefer taste-wise. I don't like full fat yogurt or cottage cheese because it's too thick/heavy. So I use low fat cottage cheese and fat free yogurt, but only out of taste preference... I agree that using less of a more natural product is better for us overall, it's just a matter of what someone prefers. I knew a girl who would spray butter flavored Pam cooking spray on her toast instead of using butter or margarine. I thought that was the ultimate in ridiculous! But, to each their own I suppose...

I try to avoid sugar free low fat and diet labels. It's not realistic for me. This is a life long doable way of eating for me. Not a diet. I'm using butter and mayo and still losing at almost 3 weeks out. But obviously use the smallest amount posible for flavor. I want to be Healthy....and Happy. It's possible

I use real half and half in my coffee.. I eat real pork bacon.. I eat at least half an avocado a day. I make buffalo sauce with real butter.. I make full fat yogurt.. I eat the chicken skin. I eat a LOT of fat.. today I am on schedule to consume 72 fat grams. BUT I also only net 20 carbs or less a day so it balances things out. I'm at 800-1050 calories a day with 70-80 grams of Protein, no more than 20 net grams of carbs and the rest from FAT.

I tried the diet foods route but I find that using real full-fat foods and limiting my CARBS works better for me. Also, my blood lipids are abnormally low.. go figure.

I try to avoid sugar free low fat and diet labels. It's not realistic for me. This is a life long doable way of eating for me. Not a diet. I'm using butter and mayo and still losing at almost 3 weeks out. But obviously use the smallest amount posible for flavor. I want to be Healthy....and Happy. It's possible

I agree with the more natural route. I am 1 week post op and I cannot tolerate sugar free Jello, pudding, crystal light, light yogurt, etc. Most things with artificial sweeteners. I think my body is saying ENOUGH already. It's too much and it hurts my tummy, gives me gas. I want to eat healthy for the rest of my life and I don't see myself doing that on all this fake stuff. (the words "diet" and "cheat" are no longer in my vocabulary - this is my new lifestyle)

I just started full liquids and it's hard right now. I'm trying to eat Soups (the real ones - just blended and strained), and start working in some of the things without the fake sugar. I can ony eat 3 bites anyway. 5 days till soft foods and counting!

I knew a girl who would spray butter flavored Pam cooking spray on her toast instead of using butter or margarine. I thought that was the ultimate in ridiculous! But, to each their own I suppose...

Now THAT's a real "slider" food. Nonstick all the way! crazy.gif

At this point you want the best high quality food you can buy yeah no extra chemicals please!!!!