Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I really need to go to my 3 month post-op Dr. appointment.

Soon I will be 3 months post-op, I have had no issues what so ever. I've seen my PCP and had the blood work done, all all was well. I'm eating about 1200 calories a day and exercising 5 or 6 days a week. I've lost 2 to 5 lbs every week. I would like to go see my surgeon because I personally like him, he's into strength training and I enjoy it too. The thing is I would need to take a few hours off work $$$ and the $50.00 office co-pay. It would end up costing me about $150.00 for what I'm sure would be a 15 minute tops talk with him. So what do you think keep the appointment or cancel it?

SW 304

DOS 277

CW 226

Only my opinion, but Yep. Keep it, friend!

Wow Joe,

Youre blowing past me. My SW was 297 and im currently on my 14th day stalled at 232 and Im 5 months out :-/

Id say if youve had your labs and gotten an ok from one doc then dont really see what it would hurt?

How many days a week are you working out? Weights every time? How much/long do you do cardio? Just trying to break this stall :-/ any tips appreciated.

You are right it would probably be pretty "routine" and it sounds like you are having zero issues, and if you don't have any questions, you probably *could* skip it. But for the sake of myself being a rule follower, I would probably go.

If you don't end up going make sure you schedule your 6 month appt and keep that one!

I can't wait for my 3 month appt. I would go ... any way you can change the appt. so that you don't miss work??? I think its important to keep to the designed plan... the docs have been doing this for years... and have a reason to want to check up on us.. just saying... :)

Are you sure your PCP did ALL the bloodwork the surgeon's office would do? My surgeon's office performs very detailed blood work for Vitamins, Iron, etc. that my normal blood work does not include. Given that we are prone to B12, D and K deficiencies I wouldn't skip my follow-ups for anything! I intend to keep mine through at least two years, if not longer.

You spent a lot of time and hard work getting to this point why not go to the doctors? I know if I would have skipped I would have never known that I needed more Protein everyday because of my workout plan. I s told at first to get 90-100g in a day now after my 2nd visit I am up to 130-145g a day because I work out very hard and my body needs it.

You might not think you need it but you never know what blood work might show or the doctor might tell you based on your diet and exercise.

I tend to stay on the better safe than sorry side of things -- I would go.

Wow Joe,

Youre blowing past me. My SW was 297 and im currently on my 14th day stalled at 232 and Im 5 months out :-/

Id say if youve had your labs and gotten an ok from one doc then dont really see what it would hurt?

How many days a week are you working out? Weights every time? How much/long do you do cardio? Just trying to break this stall :-/ any tips appreciated.

I workout 5 or six days a week usually alternate weights with cardio. I'm not lifting heavy more reps 16-14-12 increasing weight each set with about 1 minute between sets for a total of a little over an hour, cardio is between 45 minutes and an hour. Some times elliptical or a run or bike ride outside, sometime both run and bike.

Are you sure your PCP did ALL the bloodwork the surgeon's office would do? My surgeon's office performs very detailed blood work for Vitamins, Iron, etc. that my normal blood work does not include. Given that we are prone to B12, D and K deficiencies I wouldn't skip my follow-ups for anything! I intend to keep mine through at least two years, if not longer.

My surgeon gave me what blood work he wanted me to have, my PCP had to order it and all my numbers came back good.

Call his office and ask. I called about my 1 week post op check and they told me if I had no problems I could wait

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches