Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi , I am getting banded in 12 days!

:nervous hello everyone! I just found this board. I am getting banded in 12 days and I am getting really nervous. I want to get to know everyone because I am sure I will need all the support I can get. I have read a lot of posts, and like a lot of other people, I am not as worried about the pain as I am about going 4 weeks on a liquid diet. I know I am going to really want to eat. Why else would I need a lap band if I didn't love to eat, right?!

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and I hope to get to know people. It will be great to have a place to come where people understand how I feel!:)

yay...Congrats on your upcomming surgery...how exciting for you...You have come to the right place for support and encouragement...I have been a member here since May and I have learned sooo much and gained some really great friends as a result... so Welcome to lapband talk and I look forward to hearing of your progress

:) becky

Welcome Denise and congratulations on your surgery date. Are you on a pre-op diet? I'm wondering if you have told people or if you have to find a way to get through the Christmas excess discreetly.

Welcome Denise! This is a great site for information and support. Be sure to read everything and ask lots of questions. I look forward to getting to know you!

Welcome to the lapband forum Denise. You will find a ton of information on the surgery, etc. on the site. Enjoy the next couple of weeks. Good luck on your presurgery diet.

My doctor isn't making me do any kind of pre op diet. He said it would be great if I could lose 5 lbs. I can probably do that right after Christmas. My goal right now is not to gain over the holidays. I am 5'2'' and I weigh 210.

He said my goal should be 135. I am 54 years old. If I were younger, my goal would be lower.

There aren't a lot of people that I have told about this WL surgery. I have told close friends, but the people at work I am telling that I will be dieting. I don't feel like answering a bunch of questions like how can I afford to pay for this myself. I took out a 2nd mortgage on my house, but I don't think it's any of their business.

I just came from a consultation with his nurse who had gastric bypass 5 years

ago. She looks great. She holds the support groups here. That's how I found out about lap band. I started going to the support groups with my daughter after she had the gp. I have been going for over a year. Anyway, the nurse said during the 4 weeks of liquid Protein I can have very thinned down oatmeal, egg flower Soup, and yogurt along with the Protein drinks. I would imagine that will all get old in a hurry. I remember my daughter living on the egg flower Soup in between her Protein Drinks.

I am excited but scared too. Such a life change. Does anyone know about losing hair? I thought only the GP patients did that . The nurse said I probably would too. That freaks me out!

I am going to need all of you. I am so glad I found all of you!:biggrin1:

thank you, Denise

Welcome!

I'm getting banded tomorrow! This site has a wealth of information and I've found the posts by folks who have already gone through this process to be the most comforting.

I haven't told many people either because I want to keep my "good karma" as long as I can! I don't want to be dragged down by other people's negativity!

I hope you find this site as helpful as I have!

Welcome Denise!

I'm getting banded on Dec. 29th. too! Yayyy for us! I'm 5'2 1/2 or 5'3 depending on who you ask. (smile) Before the pre-op diet I was 226lbs, and havelost 5 lbs so far. I haven't actually had a consultation yet with my surgeon, (it's scheduled for the 26th) so I don't know what he'll have as my goal weight. I personally would be happy at between 140-150lbs. I've told several people at work because I am hoping for their support in addition to my family's. Any negativity will just be ignored. I think the 4 week post-op diet is my biggest worry also, but after my hysterectomy and my back surgery I had to force myself to eat for about 2 months. So I'm hoping my hunger will disappear this time too! I'm glad we found this board too.

Take care and keep us informed.

Butterfly

HI there,

Thats so cool that we are getting our bands on the same day. It will be really nice to have someone else going through this at the same time. I am glad I found this board. We are the same height, and almost the same weight. I weigh 210 right now. I am just hoping not to gain any weight from now until then. But today I had a Baskin-Robbins ice cream cone. I keep telling myself I have to eat the things that I won't be able to eat soon. I know thats the wrong way to think. I have lost all my will power that I used to have. I hope the 4 weeks on liquids will tame my sugar cravings.

Well I am really glad we found each other. It will be really nice to have someone to share this experience with.

keep in touch! Denise

Hi Again Denise!

We are also almost the same age (I'm 55).

My pre-op instructions say that going on a high Protein, low fat and low sugar diet will help to shrink the liver-which has to be lifted out of the way during the procedure. Because the liver is pretty fragile, the smaller it is the better/easier it will be to avoid injury to it if it's smaller. Sooooo, put some brakes on the ice cream and such!!!!(smile) I do understand how you feel though. When my surgery date was pushed back (1 week), My DH and I went out for Mexican food the next day!!!!! And I ate what I wanted the whole weekend!!! But I got back down to business on Monday. Maybe from today on you can try to up your Protein and reduce everything else. It's hard I know-especially this time of year-but it WILL help you avoid complications during surgery. I think we both would be considered "lightweights" on this forum and on the OH forum. By the weigh (pun intended), have you browsed that forum yet? It's also very interesting and informative, but it includes people who've had ALL types of bariatric surgery. They do have a state forum and a Lap Band forum though. Check it out at www.obesityhelp.com. And have a wonderful day!!!

8 Days and counting,

Myrna

I am also having my surgery on Dec 29 and weigh about the same. It will be exciting to go through others with the same simularities. I have told the people at work and they are very concerned about me having the surgery but I have learned to not let that bother me. I am doing this for me and I know that this is the right descision.

Wow! That's 3 of us having surgery on the same day! Yay! It will be so nice to have two other people to go through this with. I am kind of freaking out, because I am such an emotional eater. I am worrying that I am going to get depressed that I can't eat what I want. :help:I just have to picture myself buying clothes in the regular department instead of the plus sized. That will be so much fun!

I am really happy to hear that there will be 3 of us at nearly the same weight, having surgery the same day. I am sure I will be whining to you really soon. It's a week from today.

How did you put that surgery date and your town in on your post? I am so computer illiterate!:biggrin1:

wow I really lucked out today! I can't believe I found all of you. I too am 55,5'2". I am getting my surgery date on Tuesday. It's cool to know there are more people just like me.I'm having my surgery in Michigan how about all of you? Thanks for being there...