Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something *THIS* fat girl never thought she would ask...

Good morning, lovelies! I have a question for the veterans. I was sleeved on May 16, just over a week out, and am still on liquid phase. I am not having any problem sipping (with the exception of forgetting that swallowing a mouthful is not longer an option causing a little back up in the works) and I like my Premier or EAS shakes just fine, especially for Breakfast. I pour the entire thing over a cup of ice, it takes me about 2 hours to finish it, including the excess Fluid from the melting ice.

For lunch, I am having a Dannon Fit and Light Greek 2x the Protein and 1/2 cup of milked down cream Soup. (I am going to start adding Protein powder to the Soup to help there.)

For dinner, I might have a little broth and MAYBE a pudding cup or a popsicle.

My calorie intake is about 350-400, my Protein is at about 45 and I am drinking about 36 ounces of Fluid over the day.

I know I am supposed to get in 60 grams of protein and my diet calls for three Protein Shakes a day but I just CAN'T do it. Again, it's not the taste, it's simply the thought of putting a straw in my face as another meal. (Yes, I got permission for a straw. I have far less air intake with a straw, no more pain and a lot less gas. My NUT wasn't happy, but the discomfort overrules the "rule".)

I will call the NUT on Tuesday about my unwillingness to drink more than one shake a day right now. It's not inability, I just dread the thought of holding that much more fluid. I feel heavy, bloated and it honestly makes me so tired even contemplating walking to the fridge to open one.

My energy is ok (I wont' say great), I don't feel deprived, I am not having any stress or depression over cooking my family yummy foods, and while the thought of a little taste/lick/chew is there, I know it's in my head only.

Do I force the shake or just try adding in unflavored protein into my soup or yogurt? I just can't imagine more volume of food in my day.

OH MY GAWD, did this chubbette just say that???

You are too cute! All I can say is, what you're feeling is totally normal. I'm wondering if maybe you should replace the cream Soup with more Protein Shake. Even when you make them with milk, the Protein in those is pretty negligible. I have never been the greatest at getting my protein in, but in the beginning it is SO important because you are healing. That's what protein does is "rebuild" and "repair" your body. The more protein you get in, the faster you will heal. Good job so far, and welcome to "the other side"! -Kendra (5 + months out)

In the first few months it will take time to reach "the goal" of 60 grams of Protein a day. You will get there.... Have you thought of adding Protein Powder to you pudding also.... I also use PB2 powder (pb2 powder is basically powdered Peanut Butter with 85 % of the fatty oil & calories removed.) with pudding. At 6 1/2 months out I still enjoy the pb2 with pudding. You can find the pb2 at Amazon.com and it is inexpensive. Hope this helps!

Fit in the Protein when and where you can but probably wouldn't "force" anything at this point. You're right out of surgery so it may be important to listen to your nut and your own body equally right now. Sounds like you're doing great!

Just wanted to step in and say I actually found PB2 at our local Walmart last week!

lol! If I had a nickel before every time I wish I said I could eat more I'd have well, not even a nickel. Now, I'd have at least enough for a cheap pedi. :)

Really though, if you can stomach the Isopure, that does't sit as heavy in the stomach as the milk based shakes. If you can get even half of one per day that's an extra 20 grams of Protein. I was on only liquids for 3 weeks so yogurt and pudding were off limits for me. At 3 weeks I did start making spike pudding and that helped with the calories and Protein.< /p>

You are rocking it my friend, keep it up!

Dang on the straw though, thought I was gonna get to yell at you and get all judgey. Now I gotta go find someone else to pick on. :P:D:P:D

At one week out, I wasn't allowed to have anything but Protein Drink and other limited fluids, like crystal light and V-8. By the end if the two weeks, I was so sick of Protein Shakes that I cried. But I was getting in 60 grams of Protein and 64 ounces of Fluid every day. If getting there is your goal, you might consider a more limited liquid diet for a day or so to see if it helps you get it in. Eventually, the swelling in your stomach will go down and you will be able to tolerate more volume. Sounds like you are doing very well for one week out.

Good morning' date=' lovelies! I have a question for the veterans. I was sleeved on May 16, just over a week out, and am still on liquid phase. I am not having any problem sipping (with the exception of forgetting that swallowing a mouthful is not longer an option causing a little back up in the works) and I like my Premier or EAS shakes just fine, especially for Breakfast. I pour the entire thing over a cup of ice, it takes me about 2 hours to finish it, including the excess Fluid from the melting ice.

For lunch, I am having a Dannon Fit and Light Greek 2x the Protein and 1/2 cup of milked down cream Soup. (I am going to start adding Protein powder to the soup to help there.)

For dinner, I might have a little broth and MAYBE a pudding cup or a popsicle.

My calorie intake is about 350-400, my protein is at about 45 and I am drinking about 36 ounces of Fluid over the day.

I know I am supposed to get in 60 grams of protein and my diet calls for three Protein Shakes a day but I just CAN'T do it. Again, it's not the taste, it's simply the thought of putting a straw in my face as another meal. (Yes, I got permission for a straw. I have far less air intake with a straw, no more pain and a lot less gas. My NUT wasn't happy, but the discomfort overrules the "rule".)

I will call the NUT on Tuesday about my unwillingness to drink more than one shake a day right now. It's not inability, I just dread the thought of holding that much more fluid. I feel heavy, bloated and it honestly makes me so tired even contemplating walking to the fridge to open one.

My energy is ok (I wont' say great), I don't feel deprived, I am not having any stress or depression over cooking my family yummy foods, and while the thought of a little taste/lick/chew is there, I know it's in my head only.

Do I force the shake or just try adding in unflavored protein into my soup or yogurt? I just can't imagine more volume of food in my day.

OH MY GAWD, did this chubbette just say that???[/quote']

Question: How soon a after surgery did you start protein shakes and cream Soups?

You are too cute! All I can say is, what you're feeling is totally normal. I'm wondering if maybe you should replace the cream Soup with more Protein shake. Even when you make them with milk, the Protein in those is pretty negligible. I have never been the greatest at getting my protein in, but in the beginning it is SO important because you are healing. That's what protein does is "rebuild" and "repair" your body. The more protein you get in, the faster you will heal. Good job so far, and welcome to "the other side"! -Kendra (5 + months out)

I know a shake for lunch would be better, but I am not a sweets eater so that little bit of salty soup is saving my sanity. Besides, I bought the best little baby spoons! They've taken 40 years off my age already!

Dang on the straw though, thought I was gonna get to yell at you and get all judgey. Now I gotta go find someone else to pick on. :P:D:P:D

Good thing my big girl panties are still pretty damn big. I was a bit skeered to post about my straw usage. :ph34r:

Question: How soon a after surgery did you start Protein shakes and cream Soups?

I was allowed to start 1st day post op. I didn't start the shakes until day three, I had to work up the courage. I didn't start the Soup until day 6. I found the Imagine Organic brand and it's a very thin cream based Soup and they have low sodium. I bought mine at Fresh Market and Whole Foods.

So far I have tried the Red Potato Bliss (think pourable garlic mashed potatoes) and I bought the portabella and potato leek. I am looking for black bean bisque (no bean skins in it) and I bought potato spinach, quinoa to go in the blender once I am cleared for pureed next week.

Here is the link in case you need it! http://www.imaginefoods.com/products Look under creamy Soups. They have nothing to strain out.

I HIGHLY suggest them on flavored Protein powder from GNC! I use it in cream of wheat, Soup, pudding and even jello! Can't taste a thing and I have no problem getting my protein in! I'm usually at about 80 grams a day

I was sleeved on 5/22/13, I am not able to stomach the Protein nor the sugar free Jello. I had no problem prior to surgery but since then nothing. I know it's important to get the protein in but right I'm going to introduce this at a gradual approach. Maybe by time my second phase starts next week it will be better. This journey is truly going to make a difference in everything I put in my mouth from now on.

I eat a dannon light and fit for lunch or Breakfast too but I mix half a scoop of natural flavor whey Protein into it. It does NOT taste good, but it helps me reach my Protein goals. My surgeon actually sells several high protein meals on their website. They have a hot chocolate that's good. And the protein Meal Replacements are good as well.

http://www.stopobesityforlife.com/ourstore/

highest weight = 228 DOS = 219 CW = 206 DOS was May 7th 2013

I bought the best little baby spoons! They've taken 40 years off my age already!

:lol: :lol: :lol: