Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Sixties!

Part of me wants something to drink besides Water sometimes the part of me says stay away from the soda I don't need it.

For those of you who have already had the surgery, Have you noticed the Hair loss yet?

I am 61 and hope to have surgery sometime in the fall.

I am from Roanoke Va. and wonder if there is anyone else in this group from Roanoke.

For those of you who have already had the surgery, Have you noticed the hair loss yet?

Started Biotin in November, had sleeve November 18, 2013. Hair loss started April 2014. I cannot tell if there is new growth. I slowed down on washing/coloring, blowdrying my hair so as not to add more stress on it. I finally had to buy a wig as I am very fair and blonde and the loss is around my face. I bought a Gabor wig and get lots of compliments. I am very vain about my hair. I would say make sure you play around in a wig salon somewhere so you do not end up in a bind at some point. I could rant on and on, but I love my new self so I am making do. I hear now that Biotin only helps re-growth but I was not told this by anyone at surgery. I bought Toppik powder (read about it online). It does not work for me whatsoever. Thank God for my wig!

I second the recommendation that you get a wig if your Hair loss is noticeable/bothersome. My hair is very thin in front due to genetics, rather than nutrition. I wear a wig every day. Most people don't know unless I tell them. They just compliment me on my great new hairstyle.

Thanks to all who responded to my post, I love this website.

Great weight loss. I have thin hair since I was 23 as a result of the high powered birth control pill that screwed up my whole system when I went off of it. It's gotten worse since menopause on top and sides. I use Toppik and Courve which masks the scalp.

Since you live in FL isn't the wig hot to wear? What about when you go to the pool? I lived in FL for 25 yrs and now in AZ.

What tips do you have for wearing a wig in a hot climate?

Thanks

Started Biotin in November, had sleeve November 18, 2013. Hair loss started April 2014. I cannot tell if there is new growth. I slowed down on washing/coloring, blowdrying my hair so as not to add more stress on it. I finally had to buy a wig as I am very fair and blonde and the loss is around my face. I bought a Gabor wig and get lots of compliments. I am very vain about my hair. I would say make sure you play around in a wig salon somewhere so you do not end up in a bind at some point. I could rant on and on, but I love my new self so I am making do. I hear now that Biotin only helps re-growth but I was not told this by anyone at surgery. I bought Toppik powder (read about it online). It does not work for me whatsoever. Thank God for my wig!

Shersun, most of the time in this heat I am wearing a visor, which hides my hair except for the top of my head. I only wear the wig if I am going someplace indoors. The visor and the wig are my lifesavers.

Oh! I mis-read this--- I thought you said WeeWee'ers... got my attention! ;-)

Hello WeeWers how are you? I hope you are doing well these days. I have been trying to find this group but for some reason it dropped off and I still cannot figure it out. After a 2 week stall I lost another 2 pounds so I am now officially down 50 pounds since surgery. This is really hard I would have thought the weight would come off fast but it is not. I think some of my problems come from the fact I am still so heavy and walking is just an effort for me at this point. My knees still hurt when I walk around for more than 15 minutes so there is no 30 minute walks for me. I am hoping this will be resolved in time. I did'nt get fat overnight so getting thinner will also take time. The hot Florida weather is now upon us and it will be hot and humid until end of October.

When is your surgery date? I had mine done in Tampa, FL by Dr. Alfredo Fernandez on March 11th. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

Always,

Cheryl

I am 65, and my surgery date is July 25th, with Dr Keith Kim in Orlando. I start a two week liquid diet this Friday.

Have a meeting Wednesday to discuss my labs. I am worried that something in my lab work could delay the surgery. Has anyone had that experience? I also have to lose 8 lbs before my surgery. I am hoping the liquid diet will take care of that. Has anyone else had to do a liquid diet, and if so, what was your weight loss?

thanks

I am 65, and my surgery date is July 25th, with Dr Keith Kim in Orlando. I start a two week liquid diet this Friday. Have a meeting Wednesday to discuss my labs. I am worried that something in my lab work could delay the surgery. Has anyone had that experience? I also have to lose 8 lbs before my surgery. I am hoping the liquid diet will take care of that. Has anyone else had to do a liquid diet, and if so, what was your weight loss? thanks

Hello, ladyrider! Congratulations on your journey to better health. I was on the liquid diet for 5 days before surgery and lost about 4 lbs. I was a low bmi, so I got off 'easy'. Let us know how things are going.

For those of you who have already had the surgery, Have you noticed the hair loss yet?

For those talking about the Hair loss -- in 3 years of people in support groups I've been around, it varies a lot from person to person. But the good news is that most people have full regrowth by about one year. Generally the shedding spans about a 4-6 month period. Mine started at about month 6, stopped falling out about month 10, and was fully restored by a year. A lot of times, WE think it looks a lot worse than how OTHERS see us though. It's pretty traumatic to see what looks like ALL THAT hair in the shower, and in your hands, and everywhere! Bottom line, for MOST of us--it IS going to happen (not EVERYONE experiences it though--lucky ducks), and spending bunches of money trying to prevent it is really fruitless.

Hang in there--it does grow back.

I was sleeved Oct 22, 2013. I will be 66 in August. I have lost 85 pounds. I am off all prescribed meds. Use a fitbit for my exercise and stats everyday. My life has changed tremendously for the better. I am constantly told l look wonderful and like a totaly different person. This is truly life changing. My Hair loss has been some concern, but i have two beautiful wigs that i am told look so natural, no one even knows. I have truly enjoyed them and my new life.

Hi ABJ. Glad you joined up. We are never too old to have fun and love life are we?! I will be 68 next month and I am counting my blessings. I too have wigs. Thank goodness.

WHAT ACTUALLY causes the hair to fall out, The only thing I have ever read id the Surgery itself, but Ihave had 3 Major surgeries and I didn't experience this.