Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I am a little over 5 weeks out from surgery. I weigh every Friday. Well last week I lost 2 lbs, and today when I weighed myself I had gained 3 lbs. I don't understand how this happened? I'm not eating anything I'm not suppose to. I try to get all my Water in, and I'm trying to be active as I can be. I do not understand how I could gain 3 lbs this past week? I am getting so discouraged. I see and hear about people after surgery and they are losing weight, and their looks are changing I feel like everything I am doing is FOR NOTHING!!!!

I am on the verge of a break down right now. I did this to feel better, and be healthy and I feel like I am going no where at all. I've made major changes. I really don't know what else to do. I do have a nutritionist who is about worthless. She is impossible to get a hold of, she never calls me back, or answers my e-mail. So I really have no where else to turn! I'm really just venting,

Has anyone else gained this early?

I see as many saying 'I've gained' as those saying 'I've lost'. AND MANY have what you describe a few weeks out. From the posts, it ain't "real" weight gain, it's just your body dealing with recovery from major surgery. Just stay with your program and you WILL do fine!!!

Hi. I am a little over 5 weeks out from surgery. I weigh every Friday. Well last week I lost 2 lbs' date=' and today when I weighed myself I had gained 3 lbs. I don't understand how this happened? I'm not eating anything I'm not suppose to. I try to get all my Water in, and I'm trying to be active as I can be. I do not understand how I could gain 3 lbs this past week? I am getting so discouraged. I see and hear about people after surgery and they are losing weight, and their looks are changing I feel like everything I am doing is FOR NOTHING!!!!

I am on the verge of a break down right now. I did this to feel better, and be healthy and I feel like I am going no where at all. I've made major changes. I really don't know what else to do. I do have a nutritionist who is about worthless. She is impossible to get a hold of, she never calls me back, or answers my e-mail. So I really have no where else to turn! I'm really just venting,

Has anyone else gained this early?[/quote']

I'm 9 days post op and I haven't lost a single pound in 2 days. Everyone else I know that had the surgery lost 2 or so pounds a day. Weird

It took me a year to get the courage to o the surgery, so have been following this website for quite awhile. Your problem comes up frequently and it always seems to resolve itself. It must have. Been a real shock tho!

Everyone has stalls or small gains from time to time. You could be retaining Fluid for some reason. I try to weigh myself once a week at the same time, not long after I get up and before I've eaten. Nonetheless, this week I stayed the same. Am I a little bummed, yes. But I've had other weeks, I think weeks 5 & 6 post surgery when I either stayed the same or lost only 1/2 lb. It seems like one's body has a mind of it's own sometimes. The scale will start moving down again, don't worry!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274

I'm in the same boat. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out (and an everyday weigher tsk tsk) and have gained two pounds this past week. This morning when I stepped on the scale and it still didn't move down i decided its time to mix it up and got back on the elliptical machine. I'm just going to focus on what I'm doing and I'm sure it'll start moving soon. It can't not if you're following the plan. Weightloss is calories in vs calories out, and we're not (or shouldn't be!) eating near enough calories to cause weight gain. Just stay strong!

Gaining a bit is totally normal as your body adjusts. Keep in mind your weight loss will not look like a slide, rather it will look like a staircase: you'll drop weight for a while, then plateau, and even gain sometimes (remember you'll only have bowel movements every 3 days or so). Keep following your plan and everything will work out. Chin up! You made the right decision. Jazzybmxmom, 9 weeks post op.

I'm 9 days post op and I haven't lost a single pound in 2 days. Everyone else I know that had the surgery lost 2 or so pounds a day. Weird

I was hoping I'd be one of those people, too (losing weight every day), but didn't really think it would happen. Sure enough...I've been home since Tuesday and the scales haven't budged a bit.

Katie, for my own sanity, I'm putting the scales away for a while. Maybe you could do the same? Keep to your program, track your calories, keep trying to exercise and the weight WILL come off. I thoroughly believe that stress and frustration make it HARDER to lose and weighing is sometimes stressful. We have to trust that this WILL work, but that it can also take TIME. I know...when you're trying to do so well and want the weight off so fast, giving it time to happen is the last thing we want. But in a way, we don't have a choice.

So maybe try putting them away for a month. Pay attention to your clothes instead? They're a more reliable indicator of true weight loss anyway. Scales can fluctuate too easily!

Good luck!

I long weight everyday. At 5 th week I gained two pounds in one day and lost nothing for five days. Dont worry I am in week ten now and down 41 pounds. It will go down plus some next week

This is a pattern for almost all of us. I get on the scale one day and it says I've lost then the next day I weight more. But I lost a lot of weight and inches and wear a size 6 or 8 pants and can wear. A small or medium blouse. Love it. :)

I gained a pound in a month period once but lost four inches... Go figure.. I know we wanna see that number move on the scale but have patience, out biddy will do what it needs to do...

Please don't get discouraged. Pick ONE day a week to weigh ...weigh the same day, same time, and wear the same clothes. Don't get on the scale every day...you give Mr. scale too much power when you do that! You can weigh differently every hour. I am 11 weeks out...I have gained 1 lb on two different occasions....the following week each time I had a big drop. I didn't do anything differently the weeks I gained. I think it is just a body thing whether a person has had surgery or not, you can weigh differently at different times of the same day. I think it is even more of a body thing with wls people - our bodies are adjusting.

Best of luck to you. Take care!