Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lightweights in the house! Any more people with less to lose/less BMI's?

I'm 5' 4" and currently weigh 255. My surgeon said a good goal for me is 175... Which is good' date=' but I would LOVE to be around 150...

So I have 80-100 lbs to lose...

I will get my date in the next few days, insurance approved me today![/quote']

You sound a lot like me.. I'm 5'5" starting weight 230, my goal weight is 150! I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, sever sleep apnea and borderline diabetic. My sleeve surgery is scheduled for June 3rd! I'm excited but also nervous about how this will work for me since I am hypothyroid.

You sound a lot like me.. I'm 5'5" starting weight 230' date=' my goal weight is 150! I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, sever sleep apnea and borderline diabetic. My sleeve surgery is scheduled for June 3rd! I'm excited but also nervous about how this will work for me since I am hypothyroid.[/quote']

Do you take meds for it? I had hypothyroid during my pregnancy and have not been taking Synthroid since... My sneaking suspicion is this aided in my weight gain and inability to loose. Worried about how this will effect the sleeve loss.

Do you take meds for it? I had hypothyroid during my pregnancy and have not been taking Synthroid since... My sneaking suspicion is this aided in my weight gain and inability to loose. Worried about how this will effect the sleeve loss.

Make sure you do get tested - you don't want to have another barrier to losing weight. It would be silly to just wonder or have a suspicion especially since you have a history of hypothyroidism.

FYI - I have similar stats as some of you who have posted. I am 5'3" - and in Feb of 2012 I weighed 194 lbs and was pre-diabetic. From March until August 2012 I was able to lose and keep off 10 lbs - at that time I decided to have the sleeve. I could see that I was not going to do this on my own. I lost 2 more lbs before surgery on 9/11/2012. In December of last year I was a size 8 and thrilled beyond belief - I never thought I would be that small again! Well, I am here to tell you that just a few months later I wear a size 4/6 and they are not too tight. I NEVER in a million years thought I would be this size and I want to add that I am not "too thin." I sometimes get that comment but people often forget that I am short!! I am telling you all this because I would warn against buying clothes yet - I made that mistake and had to recently give away tons of clothes! Good luck to you all - you will likely have times of regret but it will pass.

FYI - I have similar stats as some of you who have posted. I am 5'3" - and in Feb of 2012 I weighed 194 lbs and was pre-diabetic. From March until August 2012 I was able to lose and keep off 10 lbs - at that time I decided to have the sleeve. I could see that I was not going to do this on my own. I lost 2 more lbs before surgery on 9/11/2012. In December of last year I was a size 8 and thrilled beyond belief - I never thought I would be that small again! Well, I am here to tell you that just a few months later I wear a size 4/6 and they are not too tight. I NEVER in a million years thought I would be this size and I want to add that I am not "too thin." I sometimes get that comment but people often forget that I am short!! I am telling you all this because I would warn against buying clothes yet - I made that mistake and had to recently give away tons of clothes! Good luck to you all - you will likely have times of regret but it will pass.

WOW! Way to go get em girl! That's absolutely wonderful!!!! You're an absolute inspiration!! Just what I needed to hear! OMG! In 4 months, you became a size 8! Holy cow! LOL. Then in a few months more......SIZE FLIPPIN' 4/6!!! LOL. Goodness that sounds like a dream. And I suppose you still have 3 months to hit the initial year mark, so who knows how much more you'll lose!! Good for you!

I don't have enough "loose skin" to even ask if insurance will cover. I know depending on your policy it could be covered, however, there is documentation that would have to be provided (rashes, etc). It is unlikely that being a lightweight insurance would cover anyway - most policies have a "lost 100+ lbs rule."

There's this place that does lipo/smart lipo/skin tightening and such for ridiculously cheap in the U.S. And they are very reputable! I was looking into it only a few months back before I reconsidered the vsg. Lookup MyShapeLipo on Facebook or just google it to get their site. They even have monthly giveaways (free lipo) or you can also win more free Lipo if you can make a facebook page about why you need/deserve the procedure and get the most fans on there. It's a competition thing. A little too much for me, but hey...it's free lipo lol! Anyways, they have great prices for a fraction of the cost of other places. AND they have quite a following on facebook, and I've talked to plenty of past patients of their's too. They love it there. Just thought I'd put that out there for you or anyone else who may need the information. I know lipo may not be what you're looking for, but they have amazing out of this world prices for smart lipo(skin tightening) too.

I'd love to know also! My sleeve is scheduled for June 4th. My goal is to lose about 70-80 lbs. I state this journey (surgery requirements ad all that jazz) at 227. I'm 5'2 so that's pretty heavy. I'm down to 212 now and would love to be at about 140ish. I know that when you have more weight to drop is comes off faster. I hope I am teach my goal weight sooner than later

OMG! Just noticed your date is coming up soon!!! You must be so excited! Good luck and can't wait to see you lose! :D

Do you think its possible that the insurance can approve you if you need to loss 63 pounds? Any similar experience?

Do you think its possible that the insurance can approve you if you need to loss 63 pounds? Any similar experience?

Well, I certainly cannot speak from experience since I'm paying out of pocket for my procedure. However, I had asked my doctor out of sheer curiosity regarding coverage IF I had insurance that would cover bariatric surgery (which mine does not cover under any circumstances, it's pretty basic) and she told me that I would have a hard time being covered since I do not have any "significant" comorbidity's. Being that, I am borderline everything (hpb, high cholesterol and already pre-diabetic) but since I do not have any of those yet (which is only a matter of a few lbs for me now) they would not cover me since I have 80+lbs to lose which is less than the 100lbs they cover with comorbidity's, which I do not have....yet. She said, I could always factor in how much weight I've gained and lost and all of my back problems and knee problems, being a Gestational Diabetic and my PCOS and everything else and it would still be pretty iffy. So it really depends on how "sick" you are plus how much weight you've got to lose. I'm pretty sure if a person was 60-80lbs overweight like us but had diabetes, high blood pressure and other obesity related diseases the insurance company wouldn't make too much of a fuss. But in my case, the doctor was pretty straight forward about it even though she wants me to get the procedure herself. Despite being biased I mean to say.

But honestly I think it depends mostly on the insurance you have. And take my advice with a grain of salt, since I haven't actually been through any sort of approval process. I'm just going by what my doctor told me. Hang around hun, I'm sure someone with more (accurate) info will be around soon enough....it's early ;).

Well' date=' I certainly cannot speak from experience since I'm paying out of pocket for my procedure. However, I had asked my doctor out of sheer curiosity regarding coverage IF I had insurance that would cover bariatric surgery (which mine does not cover under any circumstances, it's pretty basic) and she told me that I would have a hard time being covered since I do not have any "significant" comorbidity's. Being that, I am borderline everything (hpb, high cholesterol and already pre-diabetic) but since I do not have any of those yet (which is only a matter of a few lbs for me now) they would not cover me since I have 80+lbs to lose which is less than the 100lbs they cover with comorbidity's, which I do not have....yet. She said, I could always factor in how much weight I've gained and lost and all of my back problems and knee problems, being a Gestational Diabetic and my PCOS and everything else and it would still be pretty iffy. So it really depends on how "sick" you are plus how much weight you've got to lose. I'm pretty sure if a person was 60-80lbs overweight like us but had diabetes, high blood pressure and other obesity related diseases the insurance company wouldn't make too much of a fuss. But in my case, the doctor was pretty straight forward about it even though she wants me to get the procedure herself. Despite being biased I mean to say.

But honestly I think it depends mostly on the insurance you have. And take my advice with a grain of salt, since I haven't actually been through any sort of approval process. I'm just going by what my doctor told me. Hang around hun, I'm sure someone with more (accurate) info will be around soon enough....it's early ;).[/quote']

Thank you!!!

I'm 5'6 and 215 - 220 with luckily no comorbidities. I have bad foot pain, a sore back, and a bad knee, all from work and sports and carrying this extra weight for 20+ years. Ive decided to go to Mexico and just be in the solution around this. The surgeons locally are hard to get appts with, are evasive about what my insurance will or won't cover.

I've told my closest friends, kids and hubbie and ALL are supportive. I was surprised, and not one of them told me I was too thin or that I should "just try harder". I guess they've witnessed my "fat is fat is fat" forever, just like me.

Waiting for a date. I requested one this morning after backing off to reconsider a few weeks ago. That was just depressing. Now I can't imagine going to battle with this weight without a sleeve.

Oh and I figured out that while I'm rarely hungry, I'm never full and I can just eat lots of everything. Time to quit -now. And get active in the solution. Thanks for all of your posts, you help me more than you know.

I'd love to know also! My sleeve is scheduled for June 4th. My goal is to lose about 70-80 lbs. I state this journey (surgery requirements ad all that jazz) at 227. I'm 5'2 so that's pretty heavy. I'm down to 212 now and would love to be at about 140ish. I know that when you have more weight to drop is comes off faster. I hope I am teach my goal weight sooner than later

I was 245 ur height n lost it all in 9 months I was 130 n now two yrs this month im 126

Wow! That's absolutely amazing Nena! Look at how well you've done! In only 9 months nontheless! Goes to show doesn't it. We can do just as well and lose just as fast if we just keep at it and eat right and exercise! It takes work! Lot's of work, but it is totally worth it! Thanks Nena, your totally inspiring! :)

I don't know if I am considered a lightweigh but I have struggled with keeping my weight down. It always come back. I started looking into weightloss surgery last year but didn't have the committment level as of yet. Last summer, I lost a few pound putting my BMI at 33. I had went to a Bariatric presentation back in January 2013 when I lost my job. Subsequently, I had a consult and was told I may qualify for a Lap band with co morbidities. Just know since January 2013 and being unemployed, I gained 17 pounds and I see the nutrionist every month. I went from eating once a day to 3x a day as recommended, I eat healthy and I cook every day instead of buying take out. hmmmmm, Now my BMI is 35 and when I saw the surgeon after most of my tests and visits have been done, he recommended that I get the sleeve now. I am little excited about it and can't wait to get a date. I have one more nutrionist visit (per my insurance, I have to have 6 months of nutrionist visits).

I just have to say, I agree with most people here.I am JUST starting my process now and my husband and his family all cant seem to understand WHY I want to take sucha risk with surgery when I could "just go to the gym and stop eating so much". I am 5'3 and 232. My BMI is 41. I think the problem with so many people judging is because they have NO IDEA what it feels like to be obese. To obsess over how you look and if you're breathing to hard on the treadmill at the gym! (or maybe that's just me, but about 90% of the time I get off before I have to because im embarrassed.) And I think this is something you have to do for you. That's it. Obviously it helps to have a support system and some understanding, but the sad fact is, this is (typically) elective surgery, and so all the people you know that diet because of their excess 5 lbs wont ever truly understand. They cannot walk in your shoes. So take a deep breath, and love yourself. This is a choice you made to improve your life and you will. I read so many stories of so many brave and beautiful people here and I feel like I want to be that. I want to inspire someone like all of you have inspired me. :) Thank you!! And truly...BEST OF LUCK!!!!