Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many questions, please help me!

I was banded 8yrs ago, and I have gained back to where I started 320lbs, the first year I did great, then I have struggled for so many years. I am a food addict, and I wondering if I go with the sleeve will I have better luck with my control, there is a reason why we are so overweight and since I failed with the band I am afraid of failing with sleeve also. I know each person is different, but those that have gained a significant amount while having the band can you tell me how the sleeve is different, how do you know when you are full, with the band we all know it would come back up. I am self pay so I am going to have to go back to Mexico to have this procedure done, is there a doctor that one recommends more than others? I am sorry I am just having a hard time processing the difference with the band and the sleeve if we struggle with this addiction.

Jacinda....I wish I knew more, but I have never been banded. But, there is a whole section on the forum about band to sleeve revisions. I'm sure there is a ton of helpful stuff there.

But, as far as knowing as when you are full: I've known so many people like you who have been banded, and they only know they are full when it comes back up. For me with the sleeve, after my small amount of food, I feel full and satisfied, just as if I had eaten a huge meal before I was sleeved. I do know of sleevers who have thrown up from eating too much, but I never have. Usually when they do, they learn their lesson on what their limit is, and it's not a problem.

I failed miserably with the band and actually wound up weighing alot more post band then i did preband.

It is different - the sleeve just works better HOWEVER, it is still possible to fail with the sleeve. I think the key is to really get the weight off - really get to a reasonable goal weight. It is so much more motivating to maintain a size 8/10 then it was to maintain at a size 18 or whatever my loswest was with the band. I was still fat - now, I feel normal. I like it and I want to stay normal sized!

I worked really hard to look at all the "failings' and for me, having surgery out of country with no support was a contributing factor to my lousy results with the band. I needed more and I made sure I got it this time. Lots and lots of successful sleevers went out of country, I am just saying I did a heart to heart with myself over what i needed to do different this time.

I think part of it for me is I am just over it, I am done with being morbidly obese.done.done.done. Nothing I can eat is worth going through that again.

Sorry, I just realized that you HAD posted this in the band to sleeve revision section!

One of the things I was told by my surgeon and dietician was that post-sleeve I would feel differently about food, that it wouldn't appeal to me so much. I walked out of that appointment going "Uh-huh. yeah, that's not going to happen. I LOVE food too much" Well...it happened! I really don't have an appetite anymore, I eat only when I feel actual, physiologic hunger. It's amazing, I feel completely full and satisfied with a very small amount of food. My family and I can't believe the transition. I think you would do well to go with the sleeve. There is absolutely no question as to when you're full. It's obvious. Good luck!

I have never had the band, but I can tell you with the sleeve you definately dont have the same amount of hunger or cravings (once you get past the head hunger at least) But you do need to make the right choices and really start looking at food as a fuel that your body needs and that is all. I would really suggest counseling before and after if you decide to do this. I dont believe that just by having the surgery all of your food addictions will just dissapear. You still have to work at it, and like I said make the right choices. Sometimes it is really a struggle not to eat that piece of cake at work and indulge in all the goodies. Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best.

I had the band, and it was a waste of time. I too would classify myself as a food addict. Unfortunately, I yesterday that I can still eat a ton of food. (See my blog) I'm working extremely hard to make good food choices throughout every minute of each and every day with the help of a very good psychologist. In fact, I email him daily. I concentrate my food choices on high-protein low-carb restricted calories (850-1000) and exercise. Even with all of that, I am only losing 1 pound a week. That is really hard for me to swallow (pun intended!) However, I am not starving on a normal basis. I am pretty satiated for the majority of the day with what I feed myself. Don't get me wrong, I still want more and know that my stomach will allow me to eat a lot more, but I am working hard to get this weight off. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything.

Thank you all so much for the answers, I know every person is different in the way their body reacts to food, I just don't want to make the mistake again and fail again, I am praying this is the tool I need.

Jacinda,

I too have the same questions you have! I know I am a food addict and compulsive eater. I know how to "cheat" with my band (drink with meals) actually puke so I can eat more etc....so how will it be different with vertical sleeve? Can't you stretch out your stomach? I think my 60 lb weight loss with my band occurred because I was too afraid to go against the rules initially......but after 8 years, infertility treatments, and two babies, I feel pretty okay with the fact that I won't have a slip, so I cheat. Hence I weigh exactly what I did pre-band! I am so over being fat, but I use food as if it were a drug.....

I have been relearning how to eat because I too would trick the band. Drinking lots of Water, enjoying a lot of oil and butter to help the food slide through the stoma, Self-induced bulimia due to overeating, etc. I had a revision on March 27 and I can tell you that it is really truly different trying to eat because there is nowhere else for the food to go when you are full. There is no waiting to wash it down through the stoma, no adding extra oil and butter to get things to slide down, et cetera. I am not a very good rule follower, but with the sleeve I have never had an incident where I had to vomit due to overheating. Again, I do have a really good shrink who helps me through the detours on my path of reinventing myself. It's a really hard struggle, but I am worth it.

Zempress

Can you give me an example of a typical meal/day of eating? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how much I will be able to eat...having a hard time convincing my husband that we can still go to dinner and I will not be full on one shrimp - or will I?

Kcarr, you very well may be full with one shrimp-at least at the beginning. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to order your own mean, maybe hubby will just share with you! I am about 8 weeks out, and I don't/can't eat a whole lot at one sitting. For Breakfast today, I made a one egg omelette with one slice of cheese and finished about 2/3 of it. At dinner I usually have two or three ounces of grilled chicken or fish and few bites of steamed veggies and that's all. However, the 'slider' foods, like yogurt or Soup I can eat six ounces or so. I eat very small amounts every couple of hours. It's hard to call anything a meal, it's more like grazing all day. You'll just have to see what works for you and what doesn't, it's different for everyone. I will say that I LOVE my sleeve and haven't regretted my decision at all. Good luck to you!