Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for a buddy in michigan!

Greetings to all!

I am new to this and find this MOST helful and supportive. Thanks to all!

I have not had my surgery yet, in the early stages however have many questions I am hoping someone can answer. Went to seminar, met with Nut for the first time this past Friday (having SX in Toledo hopefully?).

I have BCBS of Mi and apparently I have to meet with Nut for 6 monhs? Is this normal? I have not contacted them however this is what they told me at clinic. My fear is that after 6 months the insurance company will say no..MY BIGGST FEAR!

Any insight on what to expect during this process and how long does it take after 6 months with Nut before surgery?

Each insurance company's requirements are different. I have Cigna and they required one nut appt (mine was over the phone).

Greetings to all!

I have not had my surgery yet' date=' in the early stages however have many questions I am hoping someone can answer. Went to seminar, met with Nut for the first time this past Friday (having SX in Toledo hopefully?).

I have BCBS of Mi and apparently I have to meet with Nut for 6 monhs? Is this normal? I have not contacted them however this is what they told me at clinic. My fear is that after 6 months the insurance company will say no..MY BIGGST FEAR!

Any insight on what to expect during this process and how long does it take after 6 months with Nut before surgery?[/quote']

Definitely each insurance is different. I had to go to my PCP for 6 months of weight loss under his supervision. I also needed clearances from a dietitian, psychologist, and the PCP. Also blood work, urine samples, EKG, chest xray, as well as an endoscopy and an ultrasound of my gallbladder.

Since I had a set back because of finding a cyst in my lung, which I had to surgically have removed, I now have to repeat blood work, EKG, and chest xray. As well as a clearance from my thoracic surgeon. So it depends on not only insurance but also what your doctor wants.

I have HAP PPO .Health, Alliance and Life.

I was sleeved on June 19, I'm in the Lansing area. ????

That is great to hear!! I love hearing all positive things about him! I have yet to hear anything negative! I have been jumping thru hoops for my insurance company since September. My surgery was suppose to be June 11th with him but in pre surgical testing he found a baseball sized cyst in my left lung. Thank goodness he found it! Anyways my bariatric surgery was delayed and I had lung surgery on June 12th to remove the cyst. I have a new date of August 13th and finally feel like I am back on track!!!

Yes!!! And it will be here before you know it!!!!

Glad to hear all is well after your lung surgery!

Greetings to all!

I have not had my surgery yet' date=' in the early stages however have many questions I am hoping someone can answer. Went to seminar, met with Nut for the first time this past Friday (having SX in Toledo hopefully?).

Any insight on what to expect during this process and how long does it take after 6 months with Nut before surgery?[/quote']

I have BCBS of mi and because my bmi was greater than 50 my insurance company did not require anything. Just my dr required the psych eval, lab work, chest X-ray, ultrasound on the gallbladder & EKG. I saw my dr for a consultation on april 2, after debating surgery for a year, and was scheduled for surgery may 13.

I have BCBS of mi and because my bmi was greater than 50 my insurance company did not require anything. Just my dr required the psych eval' date=' lab work, chest X-ray, ultrasound on the gallbladder & EKG. I saw my dr for a consultation on april 2, after debating surgery for a year, and was scheduled for surgery may 13.[/quote']

Did your BMI drop below 50 prior to surgery? If so did you have any issues with bcbs?

Did your BMI drop below 50 prior to surgery? If so did you have any issues with bcbs?

Not that I am aware. It was only about 6 weeks difference and the only weight loss I recorded before surgery was the week before because I was on a strict 1000 calorie diet & 3 days before Clear liquids and Protein drinks only. During that week I lost 10 pounds and when I found that out it was because they weighed me the day of surgery. So even if I had, (but don't think I did) i don't think they would have caught it in time anyways lol

Not that I am aware. It was only about 6 weeks difference and the only weight loss I recorded before surgery was the week before because I was on a strict 1000 calorie diet & 3 days before Clear Liquids and Protein drinks only. During that week I lost 10 pounds and when I found that out it was because they weighed me the day of surgery. So even if I had' date=' (but don't think I did) i don't think they would have caught it in time anyways lol[/quote']

Thanks. Good to know.

Sleeve 4/23 Henry Ford Hosp. Detroit by Dr. Genaw. I just joined the forum, and was just curious about others experiences post-op :-)!!

I'm also in Southfield, and I wish u the best!! I was sleeved on 4/23, and I'm down 42 lbs yayyy lol!! So pls don't get discouraged because it's gonna be a lil bumpy at first, but it gets better everyday!

Hey Ladies it is good to hear that we are so close in proximity. I live in Lathrup Village. Do you guys know of any support meetings in our area?

Sry I don't. The closest group that I know of is at the Henry Ford Athletic center if ur familiar with that.

Sry I don't. The closest group that I know of is at the Henry Ford Athletic center if ur familiar with that.

Is it just for HF Patients or are all welcome?