Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did any of you have doubts pre-surgery when you saw pics and videos of the loose skin left after weight loss?

It is not likely I will be able to get reconstructive surgery and I'm trying to determine how I feel about this *before* I have taken the step so I will be prepared *after* I have surgery.

yes, in fact that I am having surgery next week and the only thing I fear is the loose skin that is to come. I would rather have the loose skin than be unhealthy and overweight.

I'd rather have loose skin and be healthy, than have gorgeous skin in a fat and unhealthy body. Also, the loose skin can be hidden under the right kinds of clothes, but the fat cannot. In addition, the only people who ever see the loose skin are me and my significant other. Everyone can see my fat.

You know, I think, somewhere in the back of my mind, I had hoped after having WLS that I'd be 18 again. Young, fit, smooth, tight skin, maybe even 2 or 3 inches taller and beautiful, too! ;) Of course, I KNEW that wasn't going to happen, but it was really HARD to face the fact that 20+ years of obesity had caused problems that were just NOT going to go away...even WITH the weight loss.

So yes, after losing 85 lbs, I had an even saggier belly (2 pregnancies and C-sections meant scars and some sag already), mild bat wings, and floppy thighs. Did I like it? Nope. HATED it.

Then I had plastic surgery for the belly and the mostly non-existent boobs. That helped, but then, I was a size 10 in the belly and a size 12 in the butt. LOL Try getting pants to fit nicely that way! It's not easy! ;) I wasn't even entirely happy with the BL/BA.

What did I learn through all that? It's life. Living life as a skinnier person with some loose skin is infinitely better than life as an obese person. The loose skin is just something that I have to accept as part of the aging process and living most of my live so overweight.

Don't let a "what might be" worry stop you from doing what you know you need to do. If the skin is an issue later on down the road, deal with it then...but staying overweight to avoid loose skin is NOT the answer.

I agree with enigmachik, I'd rather have loose shrinkly skin rather than tight and fat.

I assume my loose skin will be BAD because I am 54 and my stomach has been overstretched all my life. I have bat wings already and my thighs started sagging a few years back when I lost 63 lbs. I expect to be a mess and to have to hide it for the rest of my life but....I'll take it. I am just too uncomfortable physically and mentally the way I am.

I do wonder if those people who lose all their excess weight and cant get plastuic surgery do eventually lose most of the excess skin. I have read not to get a tuck until at least 2 years have gone by because your body will keep adjusting. I just wonder if it might go on even longer than that.

I am 67. I am pretty sure my skin is going to sag big time. I am using Palmers Firming Butter and it does make my skin feel better, but at my age it's just not going to shrink up much. I'll either have to live with it, or have plastic surgery.

I would rather be healthy and thin with saggy skin than stay 100 overweight like I am now though!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hi Kaj,

Yes, this is my greatest fear. I know it's better to be thin & healthy and to have lose skin -- but I was so hoping that I might be able to look a little pretty once again. Thinking that with the amount of lose skin I'll have at my weight (305) and age (60 in 2 months) I fear that I'll look like a thin, healthy *hag*!!

Oh, me and my pity party!!

WeeWers

-- but I was so hoping that I might be able to look a little pretty once again.

WeeWers- you probably articulated exactly where I'm coming from with sentence...and then I find myself wondering why I would even be concerned about "pretty" at 60 yrs old, thinking I'm a grandmother, I'm not supposed to be "pretty"....maybe even I'm supposed to be soft and round.

<shakes her head> Lord I'm SOOOOO vain.

I got down to 104 with my band so I know my skin sags. I have the bat wings, sagging thighs and some loose tummy skin from 3 10 lbs babies, but I was ok and Spanx became my new BFF. I can definitely live happy with saggy skin @ 55. Maybe that's why the good Lord arranged for older couples to need glasses.. Once in bed w/o glasses we don't look bad at all ;)

You mean we wont look 18 again, rats. And I was looking forward to all those nubile young boyfriends,NOT. I am wanting a Tummy Tuck and bat wing cure and facelift and neck tuck and why? Vanity? Keeping up with the Jones? Trying to figure out what it is that makes me think this is necessary. I think keeping perspective means we are healthier, and that in itself goes a long way to making you feel good about yourself, which makes you ageless. So loose skin, bring it on. I will deal with it as it comes.

You mean we wont look 18 again' date=' rats. And I was looking forward to all those nubile young boyfriends,NOT. I am wanting a Tummy Tuck and bat wing cure and facelift and neck tuck and why? Vanity? Keeping up with the Jones? Trying to figure out what it is that makes me think this is necessary. I think keeping perspective means we are healthier, and that in itself goes a long way to making you feel good about yourself, which makes you ageless. So loose skin, bring it on. I will deal with it as it comes.[/quote']

Thay is the conclusion I came to as well, Barbmeow. At 61 I'm not a spring chicken and I don't really care to try to look 20 years younger. I think I'm pretty okay with reveling in my healthy crone-ism and accepting myself in all my real me beauty.