Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non-exerciser has to share this

I don't exercise. Ever. Unless I'm forced to. Then I do it for a little bit and stop as soon as I can get away with it.

This wonderful way of life got me an extra 100+ lbs of fat attached to my skeleton for over 20 years. Wasn't I so clever?

Anyway, I had the surgery and lost some weight. One of my checkups with the surgeon puts me 3 lbs down in 2 weeks. Hmmmm. Not so good.

Next appointment shows me down 1 lb. ONE stinkin' POUND in 2 solid weeks of following the diet!

I'm beyond disappointed and discouraged with this. The NP says, are you doing your exercise?

My mind is whirling like squirrels juggling knives as I search for a way to convey my philosophy of exercise without sounding lazy and stupid. There is no way. I just look down and tell her straight-out. No.

She tells me to try. Start slow, maybe every other day. Or just a little bit each day.

I steel my nerves to get up and get myself on that very expensive treadmill that I just had to own. I did 30 minutes of walking the first day and didn't drop dead. But, I hated every second of it.

Next day I did another 30 minutes. Faster speed. Still hated it.

I'm now on day #8 and I'm almost embarrassed to admit this--I'm kinda liking how I feel and how my clothes are feeling looser. Best yet, my scale shows me down 9 lbs since I started! We'll see when I go on the super-duper surgeon scale next Monday.

I'm done now, just had to share. As Bartle and James used to say, Thank you for your support.

mariecarmen -

YOU GO GIRL!

Isn't it amazing how exercise becomes easier and less hateful as you keep on going? I have the same relationship with my elliptical machine. Getting started is the hardest part. And the scale is moving, too? What a great motivator! I'm really proud of you. Do you sweat yet? I love to feel myself break into a full out sweat. It's so.... satisfying.

Keep up the good work!

Nathalie

Marie, I used to be the same! My WHOLE LIFE!!! I hated exercise. Hated it. As soon as I started to lose weight I think my hormones changed and I kinda liked it... just a little. Fast forward to today. I LOVE LOVE LOVE exercise. i'm addicted. I do about 2 hours of it a day. I jog for an hour each day and do another hour of either cardio or weight training. Those endorphins are VERY addictive.

Oh, one thing that helped me to like it was to buy an mp3 player and have an "exercise" playlist with my favorite pump-me-up music. Gets me motivated when I exercise. People laugh at me on the treadmill sometimes, dancing as I jog and doing air guitar. I'm a total dork. I don't care. It's why I love it!

Maybe that's why my weightloss has stalled. I do HATE exercise, plus, and really I'm not trying to use this for an excuse but I've had neck, back, and foot surgery in the last two years and I suffer to death on a daily basis with my lower back and neck. I'm sure if I could ever get into it it might also help my back problems. I will try oh so hard to take what you've just shared and start on my own expensive treadmill that I had to have off of QVC and paid a small fortune for and put it to use. Maybe even if I try for 5 min. first day, maybe at least that's a start?

Cute story. I might just get on my expensive treadmill tonight too. As it stands so far, I have paid about $500 a use for my treadmill. LOL.

Does everyone own a treadmill except me? I walk outside...on the grass and the sidewalks - sometimes even in the street. I feel so deprived.

I don't own one. I belong to a gym that owns one, though - LOL. Sometimes it's too cold to jog outside, but I can go MUCH longer outside because the scenery changes.

Another addict here, two hours a day five days a week or so.

Honstly, to feel this physical control over my body, this athletic prowess is simply an incredible feeling. Its so empowering and elating, the only thing I can liken it to for me is the sheer joy I felt during childbirth, such a primal and powerful experience. I sound like a nutter, but exercise is just like that for me, just the joy of functioning on a totally physical level.

I've always loved exercise but life got in the way, however you have to go through some pain to get to the point where you love it like that. But I couldnt imagine stopping now.

I run outside mainly now, its sent my fitness to a whole new level but I do own a treadmill which I use once or twice a week - its invaluable for when Doug gets home too late for me to safely go out for a run and I also use it for a kind of weights circuit hour long thing that I do.

I have aquestion--is there anyone out there who has lost a fair amount of weight without exercising? I have severe arthritis in my knees, ankles, and feet(which is why I had the surgery in the first place), and even walking is extremely difficult for me right now. I know that as the weight comes off, my joints will start to feel better, and hopefully I can start exercising more, but what about for now? I am only 12 days post op and have already lost 12 pounds, but I know that will slow. I would lovesome feedback!

258/236/150

banded Nov. 30, 2006

Dr. James Smith

Pueblo, CO

That is awesome Mariecarmon! I like your dedication. Exercise is not fun no matter what others may think. I joined Curves and I'm enjoying that. My scale is moving down slowly at 1 lb per week. Keep up the good work.

mariecarment

Congratulations...yes it is kind of addicting isnt it...I burn the pavement 5 days a week for about 1 hour a day and i love how exilerating it makes you feel. Thanks for sharing. keep us posted.

:) becky

MySherriJo, the first day I got on the treadmill I was at a speed that was as slow as if I were walking from my car to the supermarket in the parking lot. I have slowly increased it over the days. Now I'm up to the speed it takes to run to a child trying to put a key into an electrical socket. My son, the runner, wouldn't discourage me but I know he does the maximum speed and incline for a longer period of time. Maybe one day . . .

ConnieSue, all the weight loss you see on my ticker was done basically without exercise. I say basically because I did walk on the treadmill a few times the first week after surgery to try and get rid of the killer surgical gas. It worked so I sat back down on the couch and waited patiently for the weight loss fairy to come and make me thin and firm. It took me a month and 3 lbs to realize she was a no-show.

I'm finding if I listen to music or read a book, the time goes by much faster.

I exercise to Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds". I load the dishwasher and fold clothes, etc. while I "walk" for the first l/2 mile, until the moves require more attention. It makes the tape seem to go by faster. EVERY day I give myself permission to stop after 2 miles (28 minutes) and every day I manage to finish the DVD

Any low impact DVD will do. Moving seems to help my joints. I like to walk on a rubber mat (purchased at Lowes) to lessen the impact. I use large cans of Soup for weights. All total I spent less than $30 on my equipment. I never worry about the weather

Okay I hate working out with a passion..the red hot passion of a thousand suns!!! I do not like it Sam I am! But I know in order to get this disgusting fat off my body I am going to have to do it. I have a membership to Planet Fitness and....AND Bally's! But will I step outside my house and go? No! Hell walking to get into the car to go to the gym would be more exercise than I am getting now!I have tried everything else but working out regularly.. so something tells me that might be my answer! Duh? So how did you push yourself when you got stuck getting started like me?