Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all! For the sleeves who have been healed for a while, if you are a tanner like me, how long did you have to wait to go tanning after surgery? I usually tan 2-3 times a moth during the warm months in Seattle (June - September) but I'm not sure how long to wait? I figure a few weeks after my incisions have fully healed I should be good as long as I put SPF on the scars but wanted some input. And please no preaching about tanning in general, I do it only 8-12 times a year and use the uv free tanning beds, 5 times more xoensive but much better for the skin. :)

I did not know we had to wait. I started tanning as soon as my incisions were healed. I don't see any complications or feel anything weird.

Cool! I don't know that it's a rule to wait or anything, my dermatologist has just recommended I wait a few weeks but its good to know you've been able to with no issues. :)

My dr said to wait a bit & to cover my incisions, which I did with a towel. I've been out in the real sun 3 times, tanning bed about 5 times....my scars are practically gone...but I'm naturally tan, though...I'm nearly 9 weeks out...

I waited almost 3 months but now I tan a few times a week and my scars haven't gotten any darker at all, they kind of just blend in now that I have some color; which is great!!

If you MUST tan, cover your scars with bandaids, as long as you do that I don't think it will really matter how long you wait so long as you can get up and down from the bed by yourself. For me, that was probably about a week post op.

I LOVE Tanning Beds....Gonna start tanning this week!!!! and Be so excited to actually fit in the bed like a normal person!!!

so just a heads up, I have been tanning for a month now, and I did'nt cover my scars (I did not think to do so, but I did start tanning after they healed) and now they are darker than the rest of my skin. So I agree, if you are going to tan, put sunblock or something to cover them at least every other tan. I don't regret tanning b/c its blending my stretch marks into the color of my skin, but it's funny seeing my incision scars that dark =] Happy Tanning

so just a heads up' date=' I have been tanning for a month now, and I did'nt cover my scars (I did not think to do so, but I did start tanning after they healed) and now they are darker than the rest of my skin. So I agree, if you are going to tan, put sunblock or something to cover them at least every other tan. I don't regret tanning b/c its blending my stretch marks into the color of my skin, but it's funny seeing my incision scars that dark ='] Happy Tanning

Me too! I thought the sun would be good for them but it made them dark! Lol! I'm at 4 months now and they have started to lighten! :)