Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Farther out post-ops, do you feel different than other people?

I'm only two weeks out so right now I obviously feel different than others. But does that mentality go away?

When you're able to eat "normal" food, do you still feel funny when you're, say, out to dinner with friends or at a work lunch or something like that?

Or do you feel like you can eat a smaller meal that appears quite average? I just hate that feeling of being the odd one out.

I can't speak for others, but the fact that I am sleeved is less and less of a consideration each day as I get used to better habits. Not that I forget that I have it, it's just that it's not a constant thought of mine and I don't feel more odd not drinking during my meals now as I felt odd in the past as I was eating everything in sight when out with others. As in......."Are you going to eat that?" :)

Wouldn't that make you three weeks out?

Next week will be my three weeks and I'll still be on soft foods like fish' date=' mashed potatoes, Beans, etc. I was told to avoid raw fruit and veggies until the 4-6 week mark.[/quote']

Not food wise Clear Liquids week one starting 416... Full liquids starting 422 mushy on 429 and soft stuff like fish etc today 5.6 starting the fourth week.

I'm about 6 1/2 months out... honestly I think I can pretty much eat whatever I want... BUT... my quanties of food are still VERY small! When I go out to eat... I often times can only eat a couple of bites and then I'm done for. I feel bad... sometimes I've had servers ask if there was anything wrong with the food... I've just replied that it's me and I wasn't very hungry but it tasted wonderful.. then smile. This usually reassures them. :)

I will say though, when I've had something with a bit too much sugar or fat in it... boy do my insides let me know I made a BIG no no... I swear my insides are screaming out to me and letting me have it.. then a little while later... the throne and I spend some time together that isn't very pleasant. Sorry if that's too much info... but that's what I've experiened and a great reminder to myself to be good.

How long out did you start eating fruits? I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow as I was sleeved on 4. 16

10 months actually. I know, that is a long time. I think part of it was my fear of messing up a good thing, but then I realized eating like thin people is what we are after long term. In fact today I had my first 1/2 apple with lunch, with the skin!! No issues. I think my sleeve has relaxed enough to allow most foods. I do want to stay with healthy food that is clean, organic and good for you. It feels good to be able to eat normal again, especially to support daily fitness activities. You almost forget about the sleeve except when you do eat a bite or two more then the sleeve wants.

At 15 months out, I feel more "normal" than I ever have in my entire life!! VSG truly changed my life!! So incredibly grateful!!

At 4.5 months out, I can order what looks like a normal meal (though it might be an appetizer), and eat it slow, take most of it home, or share it with my husband, and no one is the wiser. But as far as feeling different from other people, I felt like that before surgery because I could eat all of whatever it was. Now, I think I feel more like other people because I eat less.

^ This! 100%.

The past few times that we've gone out to eat, I've ordered a turkey or hamburger patty without the bun or other accompaniments and with a side of fruit. The waitstaff haven't blinked an eye at it. I know I'm getting a very healthy meal (definitely getting my protein!) and my hubs gets to finish off the fruit - I typically only have a couple of pieces of the fruit chunks before I hiccup. We ate at Carino's two weeks ago and I was able to eat about 1/3 of a lunch portion of baked tortelloni. It was tasty but then I had to work harder the rest of the day to get in my Protein. One of my co-workers, a guy, is almost always saying "You are so good at following 'the rules'... I wish I had that determination." Well, it's more like Veronica (the sleeve) back talks too much. Throwing up at work is NOT fun.

To add... I guess how I order food now is my normal. :) But I do wish I could eat a huge lettuce salad with Ranch dressing. I miss that. Lettuce fills me up too fast, so it's a waste of a Protein opportunity.

4 weeks and two days out not a good eat day been nauseous and throwing up most of the day. Started when I ate watermelon. Tried to eat through out the day. Jus made made me sicker. Not a happy camper today

I feel like I eat normally when I go out to eat with people. Most would not know I was sleeved. I am 21 months out from my surgery.

I eat slow, and I take things home. If my meal comes with something that I don't eat, I order it anyway. For instance, I don't tend to eat potatoes or bread, but I still get the bread and potatoes that come with my meal. I might take a bite or two of potatoes. I just box it up and my kids will usually end up eating it.

The first few times you go out, try to look at the menu first. This helps you figure out what to order. I started out just getting the Soups and/or chili. I now tend to order chicken and/or hamburgers. I don't eat the Buns.< /p>

I have gone to a restaurant where the food was pretty much all fried (a bar menu). In that case, I will get chicken strips and try to peel off most of the breading.

For the most part, people don't pay attention to how you eat.

One thing I do though is that I will stop eating after I've had what I gauge as a couple of ounces of food. I wait 2 or 3 minutes before taking another bite. This lets me figure out if I'm full yet. I think this has saved me numerous times from getting too uncomfortable.

I do drink before dinner, and I will have sips during. I am usually too full to drink after dinner though. Even if I don't drink it, I still order something. If nothing else, I order Water with lemon.

If you don't make a big deal out of what you are ordering and eating, most people won't notice.