Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Farther out post-ops, do you feel different than other people?

I'm only two weeks out so right now I obviously feel different than others. But does that mentality go away?

When you're able to eat "normal" food, do you still feel funny when you're, say, out to dinner with friends or at a work lunch or something like that?

Or do you feel like you can eat a smaller meal that appears quite average? I just hate that feeling of being the odd one out.

At 4.5 months out, I can order what looks like a normal meal (though it might be an appetizer), and eat it slow, take most of it home, or share it with my husband, and no one is the wiser. But as far as feeling different from other people, I felt like that before surgery because I could eat all of whatever it was. Now, I think I feel more like other people because I eat less.

I eat out with friends often & no one knows I've had surgery...I feel absolutely normal! No one even bats an eye when I get a to go box! I eat slowly & am usually finished at the same time as they are & freq I'm not the only one getting a to go box!

This is a fear of mine....

At six months out I feel pretty normal now...

I know what your talking about in the beginning everything is so much harder. I mean I still went out but I felt different and digestion of new foods were sometimes an issue.

As a matter of fact I went out to sushi with a friend last week and I think she was kinda surprised that I ate my sashimi easily and had no problems!

It takes awhile but it does get to a more normal place.

I feel totally normal. I can eat about 1/3rd of the meal with no difficulties. No one notices and I totally love eating small meals now. This is my norm. :P

Hey Laura

I'm a month out and had severa incidents where I threw up bc I either gasped too much air while drinking or I wasn't ready for a certain food. Some weeks are better than others. What was your experience a month out. Sometimes I get frustrated. Vitamins. Sometimes its hard to get the pills down. Taking one aday, Biotin and D3

Hey Laura

I'm a month out and had severa incidents where I threw up bc I either gasped too much air while drinking or I wasn't ready for a certain food. Some weeks are better than others. What was your experience a month out. Sometimes I get frustrated. Vitamins. Sometimes its hard to get the pills down. Taking one aday' date=' Biotin and D3[/quote']

Well I have to say I've been really fortunate in the fact that I've never thrown up. But at a month out? I still felt like crap a lot of days. One day if be ok the next day I would feel queasy.

Things definitely get better in the second and third month, but honestly I'm going into my 6th month now and is have to say for me it's just the last couple of weeks that I feel really "normal"

I can drink Water more normally I can eat things like salad and not be scared of it not feeling good.

I still can't drink with meals, none of us can.

That would be, to me the only thing that's still weird.

Thanks. I want to eat salad but I won't. At tis point I hate prtein drinks and won't drink them that much maybe a couple times a week. Eating chobanie a banana and a tiny meal at this point

I feel a little better each day, but I don't feel like myself yet. I am 8 weeks out. I haven't been out to eat yet with friends or family. I have eaten around family at my dad's house, but just a few instances.

Best of luck to you! Time makes it better - I hope!

Thanks. I want to eat salad but I won't. At tis point I hate prtein drinks and won't drink them that much maybe a couple times a week. Eating chobanie a banana and a tiny meal at this point

Haha a banana! That makes me laugh because as I was writing the above post. I started thinking about how well I handle food. Then I remembered a couple of weeks back I posted something about a banana. And a person that is a year out said to me "OMG you can eat a WHOLE banana???" Umm yes I can. She said "well I might be able to also but it would take hours" :P

So I don't know I might be a freak of nature and

Not the best example for you guys :D

I feel a little better each day' date=' but I don't feel like myself yet. I am 8 weeks out. I haven't been out to eat yet with friends or family. I have eaten around family at my dad's house, but just a few instances.

Best of luck to you! Time makes it better - I hope![/quote']

It will! I promise :)

yes, I love eating bananas too especially with Peanut Butter spread on them. They are perfect fuel food before a run. And they go down in seconds. Well, 20 seconds that is. I just started eating bananas this last week and am 10 months out. Tried a strawberry today and it was so refreshing. This next week I am going to start eating apples. I feel so much better eating the carbs from fruit.< /p>

yes' date=' I love eating bananas too especially with Peanut Butter spread on them. They are perfect fuel food before a run. And they go down in seconds. Well, 20 seconds that is. I just started eating bananas this last week and am 10 months out. Tried a strawberry today and it was so refreshing. This next week I am going to start eating apples. I feel so much better eating the carbs from fruit.[/quote']

I'm way ahead of you Fiddleman I've had strawberries, bites of apple (no skin yet) and I eat a couple of blueberries almost daily!

I'm way ahead of you Fiddleman I've had strawberries' date=' bites of apple (no skin yet) and I eat a couple of blueberries almost daily!

[/quote']

Why no skins yet ??