Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what's the difference between something that fits and something that's tight?

Now, warning.. this might sound stupid!

What is the difference between a piece of clothing that fits and a piece of clothing that is too tight?

I'm confused.

See, for the past 20 odd years, I have always worn baggy clothes, to hide my weight and when the weight had gone, to hide the lumps and bumps! And probably to hid the weight loss so I don't have any attention... I don't really enjoy too many comments about how I look, I still get embarrassed!

So now I have had the apron removed, obviously my waist is smaller (although still swelling like made at 7 weeks post op, but that is to be expected and will, eventually go) and I need to get some new clothes, especially jeans and trousers.

I am trying on different styles to see which will suit me the best and I can't make up my mind as to whether they are a tad too small or whether this is how they should look; I'm not used to wearing fitted clothes and I don't know how they should look or feel on me! I know how they should look on someone else! It is such a strange feeling - I'm just not used to showing my body shape in clothes at all!

Like I said, it sounds stupid. I still think that my mind is way behind my body, even at this stage...

I'm finding it hard not to be too hard on myself - again - still! My hubby continues to tell me that I look great, amazing even and that I should stop being so self critical! I know he is right, I just want to be the best I can be... this applies to all areas of my life, not just physically.

Ok - breath, take a chill pill and stop stressing the small stuff - right? When will roller coaster stop!?

Anyone else feel like this?

Coops,

I am nowhere close to goal, but I know what you mean! I'm having a hard time shopping.

I think I'm so used to having things baggy and comfortably hiding the things that need to be hidden. That when something "fits" it feels tight or constricting..

You said you can tell on other people if something fits right. Next time you are in a fitting room perhaps look at yourself as a stranger what do you think of her in that outfit?

I know that's a pretty stupid answer but its all I have :)

Lol.. Just asked my daughter your question. She said, it's too tight if you can't breathe, have to lie down to get it on, or if when you're sitting and you have body in places it shouldn't be, ie: muffin top, back boobs etc

I'm not a vet, sorry. But I thought I would throw out a suggestion... Maybe go to a boutique type store and ask the sales person what shape might look best. Then try three sizes. One a size bigger, the size you think you need, and one smaller. Go with what you feel confident in. When you look in the mirror be honest about how you feel in the clothes. What makes you hold your head higher and stand taller? Don't think about how others will perceive you. Focus on if the clothes make you happy and confident. :-)

I'm nit a vet either but I know you are supposed to buy jeans a size too tight because they stretch. You can also squat fully when ou are trying them on, to get them to relax. I have often bought jeans that felt right in the store only to be falling off me after a single wear. In fact all of my size 20 jeans are doing that now (size 20 AU is probably some 24 US and I really probably could have worn a 22 US).

:P easy I have been know to wear well fitted clothes. The trick is to wear it, have a seat if you see lot of bulges try a bigger size. For jeans, do three squatt in a row if you can it is a winner. Truthfully you will get used to what fit you best and develop your own sense of style etc. because I am more of a sexy chic I wear lot of skirts and shirts and tight fitting dresses so go with the flow

Congrats on the TT. Most of the fine department stores have free personal shoppers ( like Macy's and Nordstroms). Book an appointment and let them that your concern is fit, They will not only give you an unbiased perspective but can have the their in-house tailors fit the clothes to you rather that the other way around. If you get a few key pieces that way, it will give you good insight for shopping on your own.

I agree with the poster above. Go to a high end department store and have someone who specializes in this area help you. I have this same problem and need to go in. I am adopting a new frame of mind that the clothes that I buy, I must absolutely love them and they must be the fit also......You deserve to have the best fit also. Jeans are suppose to be snug, but not cut off your blood flow either. I had really tight jeans that i can't breath in but the other day I caught myself wearing my size 6 Lee jeans. :) COOPS I can't wait to see a new pic of you>>>. I know your every more sexy than ever..... :) YOU DID IT! :wub:

I have to wear pants too big or i get a muffin top of extra skin. work slacks I use Shapewear to avoid that. No wonder I like dresses!

So wear good under garments - bras and anything else you wear. Bring a friend and try on different sizes.

Red marks. If something is too tight it will leave impressions on your skin. Because of my weight distribution I have been tempted to buy those pregnancy jeans with the regular sized legs and stretchy waistband, with my chubby lower belly and extra skin, my legs get lost in pants that fit my waist.

Funny thread lmao! Back boobs lol. I call them back titties. Or the good ole liver roll. I'm taking some of this advice I just think its funny as hell. No offense to anyone.

Under garments really make a difference.(do you watch Gok?--How to look good naked? http://www.channel4.com/4beauty/style/fashion-tips/how-to-look-good-naked-fashion-tips ) Start by getting fitted for a bra. Almost ALL of us are wearing the wrong size.As others have said... I think a realy great gift you can give yourself after all the body changes is get a shopper or well dressed shop girl to loan you her eyes while you are trying things on. You might also work up two or three types of looks... for school, flirty and sporty or something like that. I have always worn bags during weight loss stints, then when close to goal bring on the well fitted cloths, and BAM!! People really have something to say... all positive... so even though your uncomfortable with compliments, get ready, deep breath, enjoy and say thank you! No "I really planned to lose 5 more pounds" or "Ths old rag",

let people compliment, and let it sink in. I try to update my makeup and hair now and then too...to keep up with my body shape and personal style. You are already a beautiful lady, inside and out Coops, its time for the big reveal! Good luck with the shopping and once you get the look and size that works, it will be easy peasy!

thanks for the replies, they all make sense! As Gok would say; 'it's all about the confidence!' Which, by the way, I still lack! But I am working on it.

I have got the knack of good underwear now, it has taken me some time, but I am there! Makes a huge difference to the overall shape of the garment.

I suppose I just have to get used to the feeling of clothes on my skin, as opposed to baggy clothes that just brushed over the skin! Time to re think and build up my wardrobe!

I'm looking forward to being able to exercise again, fully, so I can continue to shape and tone... I think that will help.

On the topic of the muffin top, even after my TT I still have one, albeit much smaller... I suppose I expected it to be gone! But I think once I can do proper ab work that will at least reduce it - I don't think I will ever be perfect... just want to 'look good naked!' - God! I love Gok!

My motto is "if you can button it, you can wear it!" lol