Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we smoke 6 days after the procedure?

Well personally everyone can lecture me until they are blue in the face. But there risk no matter what, walk a day in my shoes my

mother died at the age of 52, she never smoked a day in her life, nor did she drink, she was over weight her heart was damaged by the time she was 45. My sister in law quit smoking for 5 years before she was diagnosed with in operatable lung cancer at the age of 33 she died at the age of 35. My mother never got to see my sons she died when I was 5 1/2 months pregnant with my first born. My mothers only living sibling is 84 and smokes 4 packs camel no filter a day! Way I see things is God has a plan for everyone, put your faith in him and he will guide you in it, thru it, and past it, he.

has the ultimate power over our life.

Just listen to your surgeon and those of us with extensive experience. When it comes down to it, on that table your life is in his hands and he knows best

If you are going to smoke than the sleeve is not for you. They will take your blood a few days before and if nicotine is in your system will tell you your to big of a risk:(

Totally not true. It depends on the doctor. My doctor knew I smoked. I cut way back and he was fine with it. I had no issues

Again, I question the motives of surgeons that don't emphasize optimal health before they cut you open. Whether it be smoking, pre op diets, etc.

I dont kno the answer to that but I have a ? for you. How long did you stop before the procedure? Was it a month, weeks or days...PLEASE help, my day is June 3

I never quit. Smoked as soon as I got out of the hospital which is stupid but the truth is I not ready to stop. I am working on smoking less since I want to be healthy and smoking is definitely bad for our health.

Well personally everyone can lecture me until they are blue in the face. But there risk no matter what' date=' walk a day in my shoes my

mother died at the age of 52, she never smoked a day in her life, nor did she drink, she was over weight her heart was damaged by the time she was 45. My sister in law quit smoking for 5 years before she was diagnosed with in operatable lung cancer at the age of 33 she died at the age of 35. My mother never got to see my sons she died when I was 5 1/2 months pregnant with my first born. My mothers only living sibling is 84 and smokes 4 packs camel no filter a day! Way I see things is God has a plan for everyone, put your faith in him and he will guide you in it, thru it, and past it, he.

has the ultimate power over our life.[/quote']

I am so sorry for your loss. And let the lectures go in one ear and out the other. If quitting our vises was so easy none of us would need this surgery

Self righteous so sorry it was the damn autocorrrect but where do u get off saying vsg isn't for people who smoke. U need to get over yourself. I did have surgery for both reasons to be healthier & look better. We all do so u can get over that 2. I believe I said I wasn't recommending it for anyone just giving my experience. Or did u forget to read that part. Seriously grow up. That's why I hardly come to this sight anymore bcuz so many people like u ruin it bcuz u can't say a damn thing without getting "flamed". Ridiculous

I'm not going to be all self righteous & tell you my mother died of lung cancer when I was barely 18, nor that I had sleeve surgery so that my weight wouldn't be what took me from my children. I will tell you that cigarettes can cause ulcers & healing problems. My friend had WLS & because of her excessive smoking, her stomach developed a leak & her stomach basically exploded. She is lucky she survived. I hope the best for all of you. We all struggle with our addictions. If you cannot quit, I recommend the VaporStix cigarette, I have no less than 30 friends & Family members who have quit using it.

.....aaaaaanyway, back to the OP. stopping ASAP is in your best interest as nicotine lasts in the system up to three months. Trust me, quitting smoking is the easiest part of the sleeve process :) you can do it!

I'm not going to be all self righteous & tell you my mother died of lung cancer when I was barely 18' date=' nor that I had sleeve surgery so that my weight wouldn't be what took me from my children. I will tell you that cigarettes can cause ulcers & healing problems. My friend had WLS & because of her excessive smoking, her stomach developed a leak & her stomach basically exploded. She is lucky she survived. I hope the best for all of you. We all struggle with our addictions. If you cannot quit, I recommend the VaporStix cigarette, I have no less than 30 friends & Family members who have quit using it.[/quote']

Well stated. And so glad your friend is ok! I had a leak and followed every instruction to a T! I can't imagine one caused by an ulcer. Thank you for illustrating the severity and sharing your story :)

True we are all adults and we will end up doing as we please but the OP did ask the question therefore I would assume she wants a truthful answer. Furthermore it is also true that smoking does slow down healing at the metabolic level. Whether it causes a serious enough slow down for the patient to notice it (leak) (failed sutures) (blood clot) (pneumonia) is a whole different topic.

There are so many things I want to say to so many of the people in this thread but it really wont do a damn bit of good. I watched two grandparents die due to smoking, my mother has breathing problems due to it and I quit after being a 2 pack a day smoker for 10yrs. Does quitting suck? Yep. Is it hard? Sure is. The only people that will quit will do it because they really want to. I've begged my mom to quit (and she said she would when both my dad and I quit but she hasn't) because I'm worried she wont be there to see my son grow up. In the end she'll quit if and when she wants. I'm with all the people who say if you are getting the surgery to be healthy why would you continue to smoke. Sure, not ALL smokers die due to smoking but you do cause a whole lot of health issues you wouldn't normally have. Not to mention how much harder it makes working out. I also hate having to smell cigarette smoke when I'm walking out in public with my son, I hate that I don't have a choice if he is exposed to second hand smoke in some situations. It's one thing if you are harming yourself but people that walk anywhere near you also have to breath it in.

To the OP, I would really check with your dr to see if they are going to test you. My surgeon requires that you quit smoking for a period of time prior to the surgery and will refuse to do your surgery if you have nicotine in your system. They also test for a period of time after surgery and will deny seeing you (IDK if it affects insurance) if you start back up. From what my surgeon had said in his seminar it can cause serious problems after surgery.

I smoked for the entire time. My doctor knew about it and said if I quit, it would be more of a stress on my system than if I cut back so we agreed that I would cut back and it hasn't slowed my progress one bit. I smoked once I got home too. Not saying smoking is good for you, but if you're not ready to quit, it's okay too.

Yes you are adults and its a choice. I choose to keep living and will be alive a long time and some smokers wont be. Life is short enough why shorten it further? Not directed at anyone except people who stand close to establishments and smoke getting it into my freshly washed hair. :)

I also heard the receptionist at my Dr`s office say someone had to be smoke free for 6 mos before he would consider them as a candidate. Thats just my doc. If I can quit pills and be clean 7.5 yrs people could quit smoking. Just saying.