Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My program Doc says forever....they are too hard on my sleeve even after I am healed. I'm following Dr's orders but totally curious if everyone else was told this?

I was told the first 2 months no nsaids but after should be fine. I think every DR is different. ITs true they are hard on the stomach but for me ibprophen is the only thing that takes care of headaches for me!

My program Doc says forever....they are too hard on my sleeve even after I am healed. I'm following Dr's orders but totally curious if everyone else was told this?

I was told never again after surgery.

Me too it's bad on your little sleeve...

I was told by my PCP that it's not suggested to take Ibuprofen anymore BUT he said about 3 months out, as long as you take something prescribed to coat your tummy, you can have ibuprofen in small doses. I eat them like candy due to my arthritis. I am freaking out that I have to stop 10 days prior to surgery. I tried to go 2 days without at first just to see how I'd do & I couldn't even walk around my house, I was so crippled & in such pain. :(

I had surgery march 6 And stopped my nsaid (voltarin) 1 week before surgery i was unable to walk much do to knee pain. I had been on this medication for more than 10 years. I was told about a topical pain med pensaid it helps alot rub it on knees 4 times a day so between this and 40 lbs lost i am moving. Now doing Water exercise very helpful. I was told no more nsaids ever.....

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was told by my PCP that it's not suggested to take Ibuprofen anymore BUT he said about 3 months out' date=' as long as you take something prescribed to coat your tummy, you can have ibuprofen in small doses. I eat them like candy due to my arthritis. I am freaking out that I have to stop 10 days prior to surgery. I tried to go 2 days without at first just to see how I'd do & I couldn't even walk around my house, I was so crippled & in such pain. :( [/quote']

Im 31/2 months out I just found out last week I have severe arthritis in both knees (couldn't understand why they hurt all the time) and my dr gave me ibuprofen to take but also he said to try Glucosamine/Chondroitin, it's over the counter. He told me it works for arthritis pain in 2/3 of the people who take it and they don't know why 1/3 it doesn't. I'm planning on getting some today to start taking to see if it helps. I'm hoping I'm one of the 2/3 it works for. Have you tried that yet? You might try it too and see if it does anything. I know how you feel about not being able to walk. Some days I walk around like an 80 year old woman and it hurts. Ask your dr about it, couldn't hurt!

There are two basic schools of thought on this topic within the bariatric world. Those docs whose practices have been based upon the RNY, which has some specific structural weaknesses that preclude the use of NSAIDs and other stomach irritating drugs, tend to transfer that experience to their recommendations to their sleeve patients. Those docs whose practices have been more biased toward the sleeve based procedures (primarily the duodenal switch and the VSG), which don't have the same structural defects as the RNY, generally have no problem with the use of NSAIDs; indeed, NSAID use is one of the major selling points for the sleeve and DS over the RNY. My doc, who has about twenty years of sleeve experience behind him, recommends NSAIDs for pain relief as soon as the normal post surgical prescription narcotic pain relievers are no longer appropriate.

Even for normal, non-WLS people, NSAIDs are potentially problematic drugs, and consistent use of them (even the OTC versions) should be done under MD supervision as there can be potential organ damage resulting from long term use, Some docs recommending NSAIDs for their VSG patients often recommend that they be accompanied by a PPI, but that need is somewhat controversial. For the "typical" occasional use, there is little difference between a "normal" person and a VSG post-op.

As usual, do take your surgeon's advice seriously, but consider that their current position on the topic will probably be changing over time, so should you find yourself in future need of NSAIDs, particularly on a chronic basis, check with your surgeon again for an updated recommendation.

I take a small dose almost daily, ok by my surgeon. It was one of the main reasons i chose the sleeve.