Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I love this site ,it has helped me sooo much. I enjoy everyone inputs and comments. I have a question for you guys. i know I have read that everyone is so private about there surgery. When told you look great and how did you do it .. Many respond diet and exercise ( which is true)..I dont know why I have no problem letting people know I had this surgery ,, I am not embarrased by it and I just speak my mind. I think thats a little strange of me. I would have thought I would have kept it a secret more. But i make it a point to state that by no means is it the easy way out and that you must work hard to figure out your new tummy and get all the nutrients and Water in. I am proud of what i have done and although it is still a battle for me I dont regret it ( maybe somedays...lol) when i told a customer of mine how hard it was to get the water in ,,he said he wouldnt have that problem because he drinks so much water... but when I told him you cant chug a glass at one time ,,he just looked at me...I said my tummy is so small I have to sip,sip ,sip and that takes a bit of time ... and he just smiled and said...wow... Any how ,I just needed to get this out.. Good luck to all my sleevers and thanks for all your posts ,which i enjoy daily!!!!!!!!!

I'm like you, I told and still tell anyone that will listen. lol I am so thankful that an aquaintance, not a close friend, that had this done told me the truth when I ask how she was losing the weight. I started looking into the surgery and decided it was right for me. Up until then I had not really heard of it much less knew anyone that had it. Since my surgery 2 years ago one of my best friends, and 2 cousins have had it done and two other co workers are trying to get approved. Every one has to do what they feel is right for them, but for me telling someone who may feel as desperate as I did is what feels right.

I can only speak for myself, but I shared with some family and some close friends that I was having surgery. Also a few co-workers ,but not all. It was not out of embarrassment, it is a very personal issue for me and one I struggled with for years. I did /do not discuss my diet or weight or other personal matters with those people and did not feel it necessary to share this. If asked, I'll be honest, but selectively. I don't share my medical issues with random people and kind of think it rude for someone not in my "circle" to ask.

There was some family members that I chose not to share surgery with until after the fact. I love my family, but there are some who, no matter what the issue, only will believe what they believe. I did not think any one of those people had better or more information on this topic than I did. I researched a long time before making my decision and was not going to debate the issue with anyone who could not possibly be as informed. I knew the risks, heard some "horror" stories... the whole spectrum. With certain people, I felt I would only be opening myself up to negativity, so I waited.

I have had a few friends say they knew someone else considering surgery and asked if could they share that I had it... No problem, I'm thrilled so far and would be happy to share my experience.

I didn't blast it on Facebook or anything, I didn't want anyone to know before surgery only my husband, parents, brother and a close friend knew. Now I'm not too worried about it. I still don't advertise but if someone asks then ill decide if I want to divulge that information. I've told a few more friends and they are pretty supportive. I haven't ever disclosed my weight to anyone but my mom and husband. Then it did occur to me that when ppl ask how much I've lost and they see (to me anyway) how big i still am, they can figure it out that kinda bugs me. So I guess a part of me is ashamed still. Not about the surgery itself but how large I let myself get before doing anything, ya know? I do find it's easier to tell strangers than ppl I know which I think is weird.

MrsG..

You are right about it easier to tell strangers than people you know... i do feel that as well ,,,maybe cause i couldnt give a $%^^& what they think !!!! but the people you love and know can be judgemental and that can hurt ... but you know what ,,the heck with them if they not supportive !!!! We will be healthy and fabulous and life will be SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone deals with it in their own way. It is a very personal issue to decide you need the surgery and to decide to have the surgery and also whether you tell others about it or not. I personally tell everyone who asks and post updates on Facebook, I do this in order to provide myself with additional motivation to stay on track, but that's just my way of handling it, I tend to be very open in this way but that is based on personality.

I only told certain people, not out of embarrasement but out of personal choice. I do tell people NOW that the surgery is done. I did not tell anyone because I did not want people to try to talk me out of it. I have many medical issues and I knew that people would worry about my health. I just did not want to hear it!! I needed to stay positive and surround myself with supportive people :)