Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated Sleever Post Op Day 9!

I had my sleeve surgery Apr 15 and came home 36 hrs later weighing 7 lbs more. It had to be my iv responsible for the wgt gain as all I had mon was a few ice chips. Tues I had Water, ice chips and one Protein shot. I gradually lost the 7 lbs and was back to my surgery day wgt (263 lbs) 7 days later (mon). Yesterday I lost a pound and today I gained it back. So after 9 days I am even again. This is extremely frutrating as I have done exactly what I have been told (except weighing every day). I was on Clear liquids until yesterday when I got to have full liquids and had a v8 juice, cup of skim milk, sf pudding and cream of chicken Soup. I have been getting in my 70 gr of Protein (because I actually can stomach the matrix mint cookie protein shakes). I have been drinking close to my 64 oz of Water. I was eating around 600 cal until yesterday and had around 700. I know some of you will say why are you weighing yourself every day but I say after all I have been through emotionally and financially I would like to see some results. If I hadn't weighed myself I still would have known that I had not lost wgt as my clothes fit the same. It is so hard to read posts where people are losing so much wgt when I am losing none. I know people will say to be patient but my patience is running out. I am very sorry I wasted my time and money on this surgery. I hope someone reading this who hasn't had the surgery would see not everyone is losing big numbers. I wish I had tried harder at ww.

On the positive side, my surgery went well and I had no complications. My scars are healing very well. I was out walking the day after I got home and off pain meds. I have been out shopping and out visiting family. Only problem I have had is gas pains which gas x strips really help. Anybody have any idea why I am not losing? My surgeon said I should have less than 100 carbs. I believe that is too high. I am going to try to go much lower today with carbs. Has anyone else not lost wgt right after surgery and then starting losing at a good rate?

Sorry this is so negative but this is my story so far and not a happy one. I want to turn this around and start losing weight but don't know what to do. :(

I had my sleeve surgery Apr 15 and came home 36 hrs later weighing 7 lbs more. It had to be my iv responsible for the wgt gain as all I had mon was a few ice chips. Tues I had Water, ice chips and one Protein shot. I gradually lost the 7 lbs and was back to my surgery day wgt (263 lbs) 7 days later (mon). Yesterday I lost a pound and today I gained it back. So after 9 days I am even again. This is extremely frutrating as I have done exactly what I have been told (except weighing every day). I was on Clear Liquids until yesterday when I got to have full liquids and had a v8 juice, cup of skim milk, sf pudding and cream of chicken Soup. I have been getting in my 70 gr of Protein (because I actually can stomach the matrix mint cookie protein shakes). I have been drinking close to my 64 oz of Water. I was eating around 600 cal until yesterday and had around 700. I know some of you will say why are you weighing yourself every day but I say after all I have been through emotionally and financially I would like to see some results. If I hadn't weighed myself I still would have known that I had not lost wgt as my clothes fit the same. It is so hard to read posts where people are losing so much wgt when I am losing none. I know people will say to be patient but my patience is running out. I am very sorry I wasted my time and money on this surgery. I hope someone reading this who hasn't had the surgery would see not everyone is losing big numbers. I wish I had tried harder at ww.

On the positive side, my surgery went well and I had no complications. My scars are healing very well. I was out walking the day after I got home and off pain meds. I have been out shopping and out visiting family. Only problem I have had is gas pains which gas x strips really help. Anybody have any idea why I am not losing? My surgeon said I should have less than 100 carbs. I believe that is too high. I am going to try to go much lower today with carbs. Has anyone else not lost wgt right after surgery and then starting losing at a good rate?

Sorry this is so negative but this is my story so far and not a happy one. I want to turn this around and start losing weight but don't know what to do. :(

Please don't be frustrated, the first few weeks are the hardest!!

Stop weighing yourself daily, your body weight fluctuates daily. V8 is full of sodium, that would definitely affect your weight.

Try to relax your body has just been thru a major surgery... give it and yourself sometime.

Good Luck!!

After I wrote the post, I looked at the labels again on what I had yesterday. I didn't realize G2 had 7 carbs per 12 oz so I may have had too many carbs. I had the low sodium v8 but it does have 95 mg of sodium. I am going to track everything on myfitnesspal.com to see if that helps. I kept track in my head and that probably wasn't as accurate. lol I have to make this work. I have put too much time and energy into this. I have told everyone about this surgery. I can't be a failure.

After I wrote the post, I looked at the labels again on what I had yesterday. I didn't realize G2 had 7 carbs per 12 oz so I may have had too many carbs. I had the low sodium v8 but it does have 95 mg of sodium. I am going to track everything on myfitnesspal.com to see if that helps. I kept track in my head and that probably wasn't as accurate. lol I have to make this work. I have put too much time and energy into this. I have told everyone about this surgery. I can't be a failure.

Forget about "everyone" and concentrate on yourself. I use myfitnesspal too, it really helps.

You can do this! Relax it will be ok...

You really can't gauge your weight loss on others. It will bring you down. Everyones body is different, and everyone will lose different. I was almost 100lbs heavier then you for my surgery on April 4th. My first two weeks I lost alot very quickly, but did not feel well. I have now slowed down considerably only losing about 2 pounds in a week, but thats okay. Just like everything (and yes I know this is a cliche), but its a marathon not a sprint. Be patient with yourself and your body! As long as you are following what the doctor tellls you and you are feeling good then you have no worries. Good luck on your journey!

Don't weight youself every day your weight will go up and down at first I was sleeve March 4th and went in to a stall but start back on weight loss but loss 1 1/2 dress size love my myfitnesspal and my support group. Be good to your self it takes time with your new life There is a great book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies it was a big help for every stage of your new life.Walking helps a lot and lot's of Water ...I'm on fitnesspal as sastexan4u you can friend me if you like..

Stephanie

I'm 3 weeks post op, and losing very slowly as well. I emailed my NUT, she told me not to weigh again until I came in for my next appt, she's right, it will drive you crazy!

I agree it drives you crazy weighing every day. I am almost crazy now but feel better since I posted and realized that I had unknowingly made some poor choices. I think I thought if it was on my list of things I could have it was ok. I now realize there is a big difference between drinks when it comes to carbs. Water 0, flavor enhanced Water 0, Vitamin water zero 4 carbs for 20 oz bottle and G2 7 carbs for 12 oz. Going to switch to Vitamin water zero for a treat. Need to drink water or flavor enhanced water which is 0 carbs. No more sf pudding which is 11 carbs and not worth it. I need to read labels better as I start having real food.

I was sleeved on April 9th. I've had to stop myself from weighing everyday and it took me 2 weeks just to lose the Fluid from all of the IVs. This first few weeks are very frustrating but I imagine my poor body is holding on the everything I put in there. I'm sure it's terrified it's soon to starve to death!! Lol

Don't be so hard on yourself. Most of us are chunky because we've yo-yo dieted for many years and our bodies just don't know how to react. Personally, my metabolism is so jacked up that it no longer responds in a favorable manner.

Give your body some time to adjust, it will all be okay.

Make sure you use my fitness pal for every morsel that goes in your mouth. You can track cal, sodium, carbs and whatever else you want to track. I was shocked at what was in some foods. I am 66 years old and not able to exercise and have lost 66 lb in 5 months. I have a I pad so tracking is not a problem for me. I take it with me everywhere so everything that goes in my mouth is tracked. I had a really bad day yesterday and ate 1600 cal. But today is another day. I still lost 2 lb last week. It is down to 1-2 lbs a week, which is OK. I hope to be at goal by my 1 yr anniversary.

Best of luck to you

Hi everyone! I'm new here! I too am feeling your frustration. I had my surgery 4/11/13 and by my visit on 4/16/13 I had lost 10lbs but nothing else so far! I am obsessed with the stupid scale that is showing me the same number! I know I just need to relax about it but just disappointing when I know I'm hardly eating and nothing is happening :(

I do think that tracking will be a great help to me. The more I think about it the more I realize I may have been having too many carbs. I did start tracking on myfitnesspal.com this morning. I guess I have to accept that I am a slow loser. I did lose 11 lbs on my pre op diet. :) How many carbs do you think I should be eating? My nut says less than 100 but I think that is too many. I am thinking around 60. I am going to see if that helps me to lose faster.

I'm on a strict liquid diet for 2 weeks after. I am not allowed to sip more than 1/2 c. every 30 minutes so it's an all day drinking game to get in the Protein. I LOVE the cream of chicken Soup. I do 1/4 c with 1/4 milk and 2 tbsp dry milk powder and then I strain it. It's about 10 g of protein. I don't know how many carbs I'm taking in altogether, though. Some people take a long time to get rid of the excess Water weight from surgery. I gained 23 in the hospital and by the time I left I was up 9. I'm 8 days out and I've lost 10 pounds from my starting weight. My nutritionist says hydration is more important than protein, which is good because I can't stomach a lot of it yet, so I make sure I'm getting my water in and then try to get protein in when I can. It will come off! Hang in there! :D