Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out!!!

All I know is that my life expectancy would have been far less that 67 if I had continued down the unhealthy, MO life I was leading. I honestly don't think the band has been around long enough (even the ones done around the world before they were approved in the US) to determine what the life expectancy is. I think it was mentioned earlier that life expectancy may be lower due to damage we have done to ourselves by being overweight in the first place. Too many factors IMHO.

I have never heard of having to have the band replaced. My surgeon said once it is in, it is there for life, unless for some silly reason I decide to have it removed.

I have never heard of it having to be replaced either. Both the surgeon in Australia who installed it, and my surgeon now here in Seattle have both said it is in for life. Basically, because the surgery hasn't been around for 50 years, no one knows the life expectancy of the band. It's too early in this procedure's life to know exactly now durable it is. That is what I have heard numerous times from numerous doctors. I have been banded for 3 years almost and though I am going through some complications right now, my surgeon said my band looks exactly as it should in exactly the place it should be. I hope this will be the case 10 years from now also :)

I know someone that was banded almost 8 years ago. She had it done when they were doing the trials or whatever you call it. She was a guinea pig, so to speak. She is doing perfectly fine.

I am wary of any stats that aren't backed up with a reliable source.... It is such a new surgery in the states, I trust the opinion of my doctor in Mexico that has done almost 3000 surgeries as apposed to many US docs that are expressing opinions based on less than 500 surgeries. Many of them have done less than 100. It was only approved here in 2001. I do not think we have enough statistics yet to really say. There are so many factors involved with each of us being so different. Whatever he was saying was prob. not supported by a reliable source.

Soda: I never hear mixed messages, everything I have read says carbonation can lead to erosion.........

I'd suspect that if the lapband really did reduce life expectancy by that much and they knew about it, then um, it would be a widely known fact and they certainly wouldnt be banding people as "easily" as they do now. I'd take that particular nugget of wisdom with a grain of salt - surgeons like anyone else are prone to bias and even misinformation.

Secondly I'd say that the reduced life expectancy was more due to the health problems caused by being obese and by losing large amounts of weight (which is very taxing on the body and does increase the risk of many disorders and diseases), and I'd even go so far as to say the Protein first diet recommended by so many surgeons, which by the very nature of the band means you're going short on fruit and vegetables and grains is a great way to die early of bowel cancer or heart disease. High Protein diets dont do anybody any favours.

Otherwise, how is having a bit of silicone in your body any differen to an artificial hip or knee, to a steel rod or collection of pins holding broken bones together. I'd hazard a guess breast implants are more dangerous than lap bands!

have had my band on for 6 years and have had no problems at all in fact had gallbladder out in april and band was checked while out and its still like new and still stitched firmly in place so no chance of slippage

I figure it this way. If my band starts giving me trouble or starts deteriorating in 6 or 7 years, I'll have two things in my favor:

1. I'll be at goal weight for a long time, probably some reconstructive surgery, too.

2. 6-7 years of good eating and exercise habits will be ingrained in me.

I'm really not worried. I think the benefits far outweigh the risks in this case. I've made a committment to a healthier weight and lifestyle.

Like another poster mentioned, had I not had the procedure, my lifespan would have been drastically shortened just by my existing comorbidities.

I'll take my chances and see what happens over the coming years.

As far as erosion goes, my surgeon has said that not controlling stomach acid with Nexium or another similar drug and/or taking ibuprofen will contribute to erosion. Since being banded, I haven't needed Nexium, but I sure stay away from Advil!!