Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Life as a Bandster

I decided it was time for me to start a little 'home' for my journey. I am being banded Dec 18/06 with Dr. Ortiz in TJ. I live in Victoria, BC.

I have struggled with weight my whole life - no kidding. I am tired of it. I want to be in control of food, instead of the other way around. I am very confident in this procedure, and in the results I will have after it. I am a hungry person, and not a happy person when I am hungry. So then I eat to control my inner grouch, and get fatter and more depressed. I am sure you can all see where this is going.

I am married to a great supportive husband, and have 2 boys who are 21 and 18. My youngest is supportive of this procedure, but my oldest wants mommy just the way she is. He is worried about safety. My youngest is only worried about money....hmmm.... I might have to chat with him about that.:guess

I am off to work now, I hope anyone who pops by this thread, finds something of interest. Best wishes to you all.

Good luck Bandiva!

i have a tentative surgery date of Jan 8, with Dr. Fielding in NYC. i too have struggled w/ weight all my life. my husband is my support system and I know he will do whatever is required to feed me the "new" way i'll have to eat afterwards. I'm so SICK of this "journey"--just want SOMETHING to happen to help get weight off--and, i'm looking forward to feeling FULL on small meals--which certainly doesn't happen now. i am missing whatever chemical tells your brain "stop eating--you're full now." just doesn't seem to happen.

I also have a vacation scheduled for Feb 10---in sunny Cancun Mexico...so I hope all goes well from Jan 8 till the plane takes off on 2/10==that will be my "short term" motivation. to feel SLIGHTLY better by the time i leave--so i can LIE ON THE BEACH under an umbrella and do NOTHING!

ahhhh, vacation.

let me know your progress--so i can know what to expect. The dr. hopes I can lose 80 lbs--and I sure hope so too.

my pre-surgery liquid diet begins Dec 26--i know that's going to be TOUGH.

best wishes,

girlin

nyc

Hello to you two. I am waiting to be banded as well. I don't have a surgery date yet, but am hoping to get one soon. I am waiting on my inusrance approval.

Oh man, I'm so jealous Girlin that you are headed to Cancun, its one of my most favorite places in the entire universe! Cozumel is my all time favorite - I'm hoping they can get it completely restored like it was BEFORE the hurricanes.

Anyhow, just wanted to say good-luck to all you future bandsters.

Hi bandiva...welcome to the Canuck Corner.....

congrats on starting this journey!! We have all been there and can relate!

:welcomeB:

Welcome Bandiva! I am off to Cancun on Jan 10th! I wish it would be after my surgery date so I could lose some weight but my journey will begin when I get back!

Hi Bandiva! Good luck, it's coming up soon!

Who's going to be doing your aftercare/fills?

Keep us updated!! :)

Mandi

Hi Bandiva,

Welcome! I'm from Vancouver and was banded by Dr. Ortiz on Nov.20th...he and his staff are excellent!

Good luck with your surgery! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the clinic.

It was great to come home after a long day and find all of these messages. Thank you so much.

I have been snooping around many of the Canadian threads for the last few weeks, so it is nice to converse with you here. I just devoured a lean cuisine (tried not to) and I am considering having another one. I only had 300 calories today....not on purpose. I was so busy at work that I didn't sit down until 6:30. I finished work around 7:30 only to come home to find my cats looking at me like they were starving (out of food), so I went to the grocery store and here I am. I don't like days that are this busy, it causes me to sabatoge. I have to learn to pace myself.

Sunsreturn...I was hoping I would get to chat with you. Thanks for your post. I am concerned about my fills, the expertise of the doctors here etc. How have you found it? When you got picked up at the San Diego airport did everything go OK? I have visions of riding in the back of a truck with chickens...OK, I might have exaggerated a little.

Hope you all have a fabulous night, thanks again for your words of encouragement. I really does help, thank you.

I have visions of riding in the back of a truck with chickens...OK, I might have exaggerated a little.

:) :biggrin1: LOL Thanks for the laff so early in the morning before I head off to work!

Hi Bandiva,

Welcome to the Cdn. board. This journey is sooooo worth it. I'm not long into my adventure, but as you can see from all of our tickers, it works. Just keep believing in yourself.

Hi everyone.

Yoda, 60 pounds wow.

A couple of years ago I had lost 60 pounds and my dr said I should go to home depot, pick up a bag of cememt and try walking around with it for a while. It was very powerful.

I have to go to work, but I have a funny story this morning...

My kids are the world to me and I usually put them first, and maybe I spoil them, but I like to think that I just overly love them. I think I may be a little self centered right now...

My youngest son (18) works night shift. So this morning he comes home from work and says "how is the food situation going mom" I said "great, I have lost 9 pounds" he says, "that is great mom, but I meant what is for breakfast!"

Hope you all have a great terrific amazing day! Bye for now.

WELCOME BANDIVA!!!

Love your name!!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery. It's a real adventure, and a happy one too. Make sure you stick around our Canadian Corner here. We are crazy, but fun. You are so brave to go through this right at holiday time. But what a wonderful Christmas present.

Thanks Cloe, I didn't mind doing it at Christmas becuase it will give me more rest and time to adjust to having the band without being at work. I have my surgery on the 18th and then will return to work for the 21,22,23. Then I have a week off. I should be a pro by then. lol

I just went out for dinner with hubby, we are both cranky. I ate about 1/4 of what I usually have. I feel like I want to eat, but I don't feel hungry, so I guess I will live. Just a little PO'd cause I would have liked to have so much more. However, I will have to work on that attitude of mine in that regard!

I can't wait to have this done. I am afraid that next week is going to drag. I have booked myself 10-12 hours a day, and with everyone excited for Christmas that should be a good distraction.

I want to get everthing ready before I go, so I can just relax and not feel pressured. I am having about 10 people over for turkey dinner on christmas eve, but hubby says he will help.

I am flying home (Grande Prairie) on Christmas morning to suprise my mom and dad. They don't know about this surgery, I am not telling them because they would be worried sick. I'll tell them when I am there, maybe boxing day.

I talked to the local bariatric surgeons office today. They said they won't fill patients that have been banded in Mexico. Basically, I told them of all people who disregard and disrespect obesity I wouldn't have thought it would be them. The waiting list here is over 3 years. At the end of the day it appears the almighty dollar speaks loudest. I am really disappointed. Anyways, I am not stressing about it, these things always have a way of working themselves out.

One of my clents used to be the director of nursing educator for BC ( I think that was her title). She is very supportive of this surgery and says she has never met anyone who has regreted it and that Canada is just getting into the swing of things. That is encouraging and a positive way for me to end this post. Just think about how smart we all are...