Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein bars

Best Protein Bars? Sick of shakes and looking for something yummy and not high calorie but high protein...any suggestions?

Best Protein bars? Sick of shakes and looking for something yummy and not high calorie but high protein...any suggestions?

There is no such thing as a "good" Protein Bar. They are all essentially glorified candy bars.

That being said, the best I've found are

1. Qwest bars

2. Premier Protein Bars.

These are the only two I've found that deliver quality Proteins at less than 10 calories per gram of Protein.< /p>

I must say that I tried several before surgery - and found several I liked! Unfortunately, now that I am 5+ weeks postop and can eat them again, they really don't appeal to me anymore... I think they are all kind of yucky. That being said, my favorites were the Luna Protein Cookie Dough bars - available at Target and many grocery stores.

I like pure protien bars 190 cals 20 protien an low carbs

There is no such thing as a "good" Protein bar. They are all essentially glorified candy bars.

That being said, the best I've found are

1. Qwest bars

2. Premier Protein bars.

These are the only two I've found that deliver quality Proteins at less than 10 calories per gram of Protein.< /p>

I totally agree with the glorfied candy bar analogy! I look at labels of the different ones I see all the time, and none of them seem like a good nutritional value, aside from the fact they have protein. And considering you can get more out of a shake protein-wise, and they are less calories/carbs, I'll stick with shakes until my diet can include more protein-dense food choices.

Of course, that's easy to say considering I'm still pre-op! I'm not even a week into my pre-op liquid diet and I'm already completely sick of these shakes!! :)

There is no such thing as a "good" Protein bar. They are all essentially glorified candy bars.

That being said' date=' the best I've found are

1. Qwest bars

2. Premier Protein bars.

These are the only two I've found that deliver quality Proteins at less than 10 calories per gram of protein.[/quote']

I hate to admit it but I agree with OTR on this one.

I like the premier bars from costco BUT they are high calorie and fuel my cravings :(

They are good to keep around if you are in a pinch (like traveling) but not for everyday when you have access to real food.

On the up side? They taste good :)

Agree. They make me crave. I can't think of them as food, I just can't. There are even better options for your purse.

I like pure protien bars 190 cals 20 protien an low carbs

me too.... Actually this is the only one my nut recommended. I started eating them at 5 weeks post op. At first I could only eat 1/2 of the bar per day as a snack. They are very heavy and filling. Now at 5 1/2 months out I replace one of my shakes for a bar when I am in the mood. Currently, I eat 3 small meals (3/4 to 1 cup) of food per sitting. And 2 snack (which for me are 2 premier shakes or 1 shake and 1 protien bar. No matter what I am good with my protien if I do it this way. And it is working for me.... So yes you can bars! Enjoy!

I got few different pure Protein bars and took one bite and yuck lol so guess I will keep drinking shake in morning until find something I can stand. Thank you all for help

Yes...the whey Protein gives it that yucky taste. Here is a thought, it has nothing to do with Protein Bars, but it is an alternative drink that IS NOT a shake, but contains lots of protein: Isopure. They taste like a Water downed Crystal Light and yield 40 grams of Protein. You can buy them by the case from dealers like Prosource. They have about 160 calories, 0 fat, 0 carbs...the only thing that doesn't have a "0" on the label is potassium and sodium. Hope this helps!

Yes...the whey Protein gives it that yucky taste. Here is a thought' date=' it has nothing to do with Protein bars, but it is an alternative drink that IS NOT a shake, but contains lots of protein: Isopure. They taste like a Water downed Crystal Light and yield 40 grams of protein. You can buy them by the case from dealers like Prosource. They have about 160 calories, 0 fat, 0 carbs...the only thing that doesn't have a "0" on the label is potassium and sodium. Hope this helps!

[/quote']

I was at my wits end so I bought two isopure. I tried fruit punch or a red punch...you would think great but wow what an awful aftertaste. I thought I was going to gag. Now Its like a mental block in my head on them. What kind did you like??

There are alternatives to whey Protein.

Really, if you just can't take whey try another high quality Protein. Egg, hemp, there are others. Whey is the best stand alone protein, but there is nothing wrong with other high quality Proteins. The absolute best thing is a variety of different Proteins. One of my favorite smoothie-shakes uses whey, hemp, egg, & chia as protein sources, and I think it's delicious.