Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After my first surgeon appointment (my surgeon recommend me the sleeve and changed my mind about what I want), I remember when I asked him if he do the sleeve surgery and he told me yea, yes I do....well, I did my lab tests, change my insurance, change to a new pcp, send my phsyc papers,...wait, etc, then today I ask him some questions about the surgery, and finally I told him that I want the sleeve based in his recommendation......well, he told me now that he is now beginning in the process to do the sleeve surgery ( he's a lap band surgeon)....and if I want the sleeve with him I need to wait until september!!!!!!

What???? I'm very disappointed and mad, and I don't know what to do now...smh...

I'd find another surgeon. You probably don't want to be one of his first sleeve patients (I'd want a surgeon who has a couple hundred under their belt already)...but that's just me.

So sorry for all your troubles and frustration. I'd put in a call to my insurance and see what will need to happen if you switch surgeons.

Take all your test results and go to another surgeon. Discuss the options with him/her instead of going just based on what one dr. said. It's your body...you make the decision! There are plenty of well qualified surgeons out there. Your insurance company should have a list available on their website. Sorry for your struggles!!

How do you change your insurance so easily?

Look for another surgeon in the area. The new surgeon will review your paperwork and determine what's needed next. Call your insurance company and let them know as well. As long as you complete all of the pre op requirements from your insurance, the surgeon is changeable.

Do not go to this surgeon. Besides mishearing you, he has not practiced the surgery. You do not want to be one of his first patients. Surgeons, like everyone, get better with practice.

So sorry about how frustrating this must be.

I vote with everyone else - find someone who is experienced with and COMMITTED to the sleeve. I believe that not just their surgical skills but their follow up protocol and support is key to success (for me anyway!).

first surgeon I saw and started the process with didn't really believe in the sleeve for high BMI people like me. He was technically very competent/good reputation - but I NEEDED to have a surgeon who believed i would be successful.

I vote with everyone else - find someone who is experienced with and COMMITTED to the sleeve. I believe that not just their surgical skills but their follow up protocol and support is key to success (for me anyway!).

first surgeon I saw and started the process with didn't really believe in the sleeve for high BMI people like me. He was technically very competent/good reputation - but I NEEDED to have a surgeon who believed i would be successful.

Totally agree! And if this surgeon is only doing the lap band now, that means the surgeon isn't even experienced in laparoscopic gastric bypass, which is at least a bit more similar from a technical skills standpoint. If this surgeon only does the lapband and is starting VSG in September, I would definitely seek out someone experienced in laparoscopic VSG.

Nothing is stopping you from changing Drs. Your paperwork should be transferable.

Totally agree! And if this surgeon is only doing the lap band now, that means the surgeon isn't even experienced in laparoscopic gastric bypass, which is at least a bit more similar from a technical skills standpoint. If this surgeon only does the lapband and is starting VSG in September, I would definitely seek out someone experienced in laparoscopic VSG.

I agree, I searched until I found a surgeon with an excellent reputation in VSG before I committed.

Thank you all for the advise and support.... I am will search a new one....any recommendations for MA area>?

@Ms. AntiBand , I have Masshealth , and I can change the insurance!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches