Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know when you are at goal? I have 7 more pounds I'd like to lose but I noticed that some friends tell me I should not lose any more.

Not sure if they are not used to seeing me small or if I'm not seeing myself accurately.

I'm 5'4 and weigh 146.5.

I would say lose what you want to lose. Go ahead and shoot for those last seven pounds. Sometimes there is a bit of regain, so that is something to take into consideration.

I'm getting the same feedback from friends and family.. I wanted to stop at 150 but I'm down to 136. I think you should stop when you feel like you've reached your goal, where you want to be. I block my mother out now last year she kept telling me to lose weight I was too big etc etc now she says put meat on my bones., can't win lol

I have had friends and acquaintances tell me I don't need to loose any more weight as well. Sometimes it can make me pretty uncomfortable - especially if it happens to come along with someone observing and commenting on what I eat or how much I eat. I had a male acquaintance (with his wife right there at the table too) ask me if what I was eating was all I was going to eat and then go on about how I didn't need to loose any more because I'd be too thin. I'm a size 14... at 5'7" so it's not like I'm skinny, just more averaged sized than when he met me and I weighted 240! AND, I'm still technically overweight! I think I need to get down below 160 to be considered in a healthy BMI range.

I will say I'm getting better at redirecting conversation! ;)

You are the only one who has to be comfortable and live in your body in the end. So please yourself and find a place where you're happy and confident. That's my two cents at least!

Im 5'4 also and was told that 140 would be a great goal weight by my surgeon. He knows better than any of my friends I would think.

Slightly jealous!! Hehe... Whatever makes you happy should be your goal. Don't listen to others!!

http://www.healthche...weightchart.htm

This is a time when I actually look at the charts. Since health is my primary concern I look at the charts and I can get down to 197-155 for a 6'2" man. I am at 217 now and no one thinks I am fat anymore.

I am concerned more with being healthy than looking good. I am quite unconcerned whether anyone thinks I look too skinny. It is amazing to me how easily people grant themselves credentials about any conceivable subject. So they are authorities on what is healthy and what is acceptable in a fashion sense.

If folks would kiss my posterior as many times as it crossed my mind that they should I would need Desitin for the chapping. :huh::D

Do whatever makes YOU feel good and happy about yourself. Some people maybe slightly jealous on how amazing you look.

Everyday I hear how thin I am and need to put on weight. My husband thankfully if VERY supportive. I am 5'5 and weigh 136 last time I checked. I am wearing size 6/7 but those are starting to get baggy. I DO NOT want to lose any more weight but it is hard. I average 700 calories a day.

I would say lose what you want to lose. Go ahead and shoot for those last seven pounds. Sometimes there is a bit of regain, so that is something to take into consideration.

This brings me hope!

Good luck :)

I also let negative thoughts go in one ear and out the other! I focus on positive and what makes me feel good! :)

My drs goal for me was 150. I exceeded that last year (down to 144), but my personal goal was 135. I've since gained a few lbs (what happens when you have band complications) so I'm that much further from my goal. I think I will shoot for 130 after my sleeve is done so I can have a 5 lb cushion. Seems cozy!!!

Well.. Leave it to me to play the bad guy here, but.. This can be a slippery slope. We need to be careful because the scale doesn't always tell you want or when you look good. You may be losing a lot of inches and not pounds. If you go too far you look like death warmed over. Trust me.. I thought I looked good at 104 because that's what I was when I got married. Not so. My daughter made me stand in front of a mirror and look at myself. It was sickening. I was all bones and nothing else. We.. As fat fighters don't always see the real us because we focus so much on what we think we should weigh.

Focus on health and stop obsessing with the scale.

My goal weight will be 130 and the 125 on my ticker is a red flag SIREN for my own good. I know right now I'm in trouble if I think it's ok to go lower then my 125 marker

I say ask your doctor! They would tell you if youre losing too much weight or not. Unless your anorexic I can't imagine a dr saying you're too thin, IMO.

I agree, listen to your doctor, not your friends or family. My doc told me to stop so I listened. I know someone a few years younger than me who didn't listen and didn't stop. She has clearly gone from obesity to anorexia. So sad! She is one of my motivators to listen to the people who are smarter or at least better educated than me.

Thanks for all the great feedback. The dietician said I could be at my goal weight because the skin may way up to 30 lbs. she td me to increase my Water and Protein. If my body wants to lose a few more pounds it will otherwise it will stay the same.

And yes there are 2 sides to the coin. Those who aren't used to seeing us thin vs those of us who can see ourselves thin when we are.

I have a doctor appt next May so I'll see what she says.

Appreciate your encouragement.

How do you know when you are at goal? I have 7 more pounds I'd like to lose but I noticed that some friends tell me I should not lose any more.

Not sure if they are not used to seeing me small or if I'm not seeing myself accurately.

I'm 5'4 and weigh 146.5.

At your height and weight, your BMI is 25.1 which is right at the 'healthy' line. I'm almost 3" taller than you and this morning I weighed exactly what you do, I'm at a healthy BMI. You can still afford to lose more, give yourself a "pad", if you want to. That's up to you. The nurse said I could lose to 130 and they wouldn't worry, but that is way too low for me. I couldn't stop the weight loss (I didn't know how to play with this tool) and I got down to 132 and made a frantic call to Dr. D's office, I looked gaunt, so I purposefully added calories and gained up to where I am now. I've maintained this weight for over 2 years now. I feel and look better, but it is all a personal choice. People are not use to seeing us 'small'