Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op and sweets

My favorite kind of donut is a Tim Horton's honey cruller. I decided to have one a few weeks ago as a treat. I couldn't leave the house afterwards- stomach cramps, the whole works. That thing must have dumped out of my sleeve at 100 mph.

Not to say I haven't had sweets in small amounts at other times without problems, but dumping does happen...ugh.

-Kendra

Premier Protein shakes does that to me. Early out i had my hubby drive me to Sams club for the shake. i open one in the car drank some and I got a dizziness that lasted a few hours. Seriously also the cramping and off to the bathroom. I don't handle the sugar well. I couldn't even do Splenda the first week or so. So no desire for sweets for me. Funny I use to be a Sugar-Addict.

Oh it also happened to me at a grocery store with Splenda. It was more severe, thought I would passed out in the bathroom. Now however 7.5 weeks out I can tolerate a little Splenda but not certain shakes or sweets.

Ok, guess I have the sleeve of steel....I can eat anything & be ok. Had some Bday cake & ice cream at my grandsons Bday & was fine! Have eaten a few pieces of chocolate during stressful times & that TOM.

I'm curious--I thought sleeve surgery didn't cause dumping? The information I got at my WLS seminar led me to think only Roux-En-Y patients had trouble with dumping syndrome. Is that false?

I wish I dumped sometimes. I can have any and all food with no consequences. Consider dumping from overindulging in sweets a blessing. I am struggling this week with too many Desserts and wish I had something physical to keep my choices in check. I decided to do a week with no processed foods or excess sugars to 'detox' these simple carbs out of me.

Damn, now I want chocolate

I'm curious--I thought sleeve surgery didn't cause dumping? The information I got at my WLS seminar led me to think only Roux-En-Y patients had trouble with dumping syndrome. Is that false?

I heard the same thing Vix.

Thanks you guys! Yeah I would definitley consider dumping a blessing in disguise. I can handle Premier Protein and Splenda well, I just want to know if I can have a little bite of cake sooner or later

It doesn't... But some people think they dump anyway..

I will say your digestion in the beginning is really off and you can get sensitivities to certain things

But it usually works itself out.

I had issues the first few weeks. I couldn't eat anything with sugar, fake sugar, or lactose without getting horrible dizziness, shakes, nausea, diarrhea etc...However, it cleared up before three months post-op and I have been able to eat anything and everything since without any issues.

I am almost 11 weeks out and haven't tried sweets. I wasn't big on them before surgery but occasionally find myself craving a little something. However, I feel like I've detoxed from food that isn't good for me and I don't want to start a cycle of temptation. I feel like I'm better off staying off of bad foods "cold turkey." For me, that means more things like salty, crunchy Snacks like chips rather than sweets. When I get to maintenance, I may re-evaluate about whether I can do a small splurge very occasionally if I build it into my daily food plan.

I was told by my NUT that you can dump with the sleeve. I have also had a racing heartbeat occasionally after I have had Protein Shakes. Just goes to show how everyone is told different things...

I meet with my nutritionist in two weeks--I'll put this on the "things I want to remember to ask" list! Thanks for raising this issue, everyone, there's definitely a learning curve involved all along the way during this process. This is probably just one of many, many things I'll be learning about.

I feel I should clarify- it is my understanding from my NUT that you are much less likely to dump with the sleeve than with RNY, and probably most people don't. Pre-sleeve with my normal anatomy I feel like i used to dump on occasion, in particular after I had eaten out a high-fat meal...but who knows...