Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So for real, how do you chew your food into a mashy mush of ...

glop without wanting to vomit?

My surgery is on 5/16 and I have a two week liquid diet, pre-op. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row.

I have cut most carbs.

I have started replacement shakes for Breakfast and will replace lunch or dinner with them soon.

I am cutting back on Coke Zero. (KILL ME NOW!!! It's like crack.)

I am carrying Water all day long and trying to sip instead of gulp.

I am really trying to chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew...

It's repulsive. Seriously repulsive.

The more I think about it, the more I want to vomit.

Anyone else?

Well it's not gross for me but it will be hard since I inhale all my food...well actually if its fish then it's gross for me I like to eat my sushi quickly.

This is why there are food phases you must follow:

Clear Liquids, full liquids, then the pureed stage is great; you puree your food so again early on no chewing, then the soft food stage the food is already softer so this week easy to eat, then on to more solid foods. You don't have to chew until mush. Follow your food eating stages to a "T" and you will be fine.

Coming from a guy who used to inhale food and barely chew anything (as a child I nearly choked on a piece of steak because huge bite, little chewing), it's completely possible. It's hard at first, but after a while it's second nature. During my pureed food stage, I would just chew a little to get used to it again, then soft foods was hard at first as well, but after some time it worked itself out. Smaller bites helped me a ton, less chewing, and more room to rearrange things in my mouth to chew the non chewed bits up.

Yeah, I HATE chewing my food. I used to only take one or two chews and then swallow.. Seriously.. even things like steak would get only one or two chews...

I am five weeks out and I admit that I don't always chew my food as much as I'm supposed to.. and I don't know that I will ever chew it as much as I'm supposed to.. but I do get around 20 chews per bite which is a HUGE improvement for me.

definitely one of the hardest things about this lifestyle change. I do agree, that small bites makes it easier. I am still working on this. I tend to take big bites...big enough that its hard to chew the recommended 30 times because it all gets pushed down my throat without me even trying. It does get easier. It also helps not to wait too long between meals so you don't try to inhale your food.

Like I said though, I am still working on these issues. Slowly getting better, but definitely not perfect.

Thanks all! I do need to work on smaller bites. I guess I am so used to eating so fast that sitting there and chewing is torture along with the texture of the food. I am seriously hoping to be someone who never has a taste for food again. Gawd knows I've had more than my share!

It's easy to forget to take smaller bites and chew well - old habits die hard! But believe me, if you don't, your body will remind you pretty quickly. You'll get that feeling like the food is sticking right THERE in your chest! Fortunately, that little occasional reminder has been enough to make me to slow down, take smaller bites, and CHEW, and I have never yet had any worse problem than that temporary discomfort.

I don't chew any differently than I did before. I did my food phases and the only thing any one has to be aware of is to eat slowly. There's nothing different about us but the amount we can eat. I don't chew to smithereens because I don't want to be able to stuff as much as I can in my new sized stomach. Once you're onto normal solid foods you need to eat slower so you are aware when you are full and then NOT overfill yourself. Ignore these steps and you're asking for problems.

It's easy to forget to take smaller bites and chew well - old habits die hard! But believe me, if you don't, your body will remind you pretty quickly. You'll get that feeling like the food is sticking right THERE in your chest! Fortunately, that little occasional reminder has been enough to make me to slow down, take smaller bites, and CHEW, and I have never yet had any worse problem than that temporary discomfort.

I was expecting this, but even when I've forgotten myself, I get no "negative reinforcement" ... I sometimes think this thing is made of cast iron...

LOL :D I'm practicing that now before surgery.

I have to chew, chew, chew... or I get that "rock stuck in the chest" feeling. It takes me quite awhile to eat my food. The hubs will have finished his plate and probably have had seconds and I'm still working on mine. :) I take small bites and chew the crap out of it. Part of the reason is that my serving size is SO small, eating slowly lets me enjoy the meal. (Savor the flavor...)

Fast eater here too! This will be a tough one for me. I hate to say...negative reinforcement "stuck in chest" sensation may help...or vomiting because I HATE throwing up! The first time I throw up because of eating too fast or not chewing well.....I will be extra vigilant from then on! I HATE THROWING UP!