Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

And the newest Urban Legand is that in addition to cutting out 80-85% of our stomachs we've cut 18 years off our lives.

HUH? What did I miss?

HUH? What did I miss?

It was on a thread discussing feeling buyers remorse and regret and someone, I believe it was Luckysmomma, stated she was told by 3 surgeons WLS cuts 5-18 years off your life.

OMG How did I miss this thread till now?

You can't ever drink from a straw again

You can't have port again (I love Port and it's the first alcoholic drink I had post-op.)

Everyone who follows a 800 calorie or less diet during the first 6 months trashes their metabolism for the rest of their life.

You can't eat <fill in the blank>.

You can't drink <fill in the blank>.

You won't lose unless you exercise.

Lynda

OMG How did I miss this thread till now?

You can't ever drink from a straw again

You can't have port again (I love Port and it's the first alcoholic drink I had post-op.)

Everyone who follows a 800 calorie or less diet during the first 6 months trashes their metabolism for the rest of their life.

You can't eat <fill in the blank>.

You can't drink <fill in the blank>.

You won't lose unless you exercise.

Lynda

OMG - I was really 'good' but the rule about drinking from a straw, I had too. I started at 2 weeks, for some reason I found I could or would drink more. The 'air bubbles' never happened, if anything I had less. Exercise, let's not go there. :) I never went over and seldom got over 800 calories a day the whole time I was losing, I reached goal in six months. I hope this isn't true. LoL I seem ok, but who knows! I'm not sure what a port is, but as far as I'm concerned, nothing is off limits. There are things I choose not to have or not have often, but other than carbonation, the doctor said, this is a new way of life, not a diet. I took that to heart. :)

Really? Everyone likes Port? I've only tried it once and it was disgusting! I'm willing to give it another shot. Which one is good?

I was really hoping that the last one would be true :)

false false false false true. ;)

Really? Everyone likes Port? I've only tried it once and it was disgusting! I'm willing to give it another shot. Which one is good?

I'm not a fan of Port wine either. It's so sweet and kind of thick.

Here's one I keep hearing.. Most marriages fail after WLS!

I'm not a wine fan at all really....I get Migraines, so I have to be careful. I like Sangria, IF I make it, and I like Manischewitz wine.....cheap and sweet!!! I am pretty sure this is what was served at a church we were visiting with a friend one time....for the Lord's Supper.

A couple of my fav inexpensive ports are Fonesca Porto Bin 27 and Presidential Ruby.

Lynda

Regarding marriages breaking up after w l s ....I wonder if those marriages were already rocky and the spouse that had surgery just gained the self esteem after losing weight to end it? Just a theory.....on some...

Great thread though!

That is will make your weener look bigger. It makes your weener look a lot bigger!*

*well, not really

Haha

This one scares me! I postponed my surgery because I found out less than 2 weeks before that a relative of a good friend was in the hospital dying of liver failure. She had cross addicted to alcohol after surgery to deal with her problems because she couldn't eat and alcoholism runs in my family so it concerned me. She died at age 32 and left 3 kids behind. = (

That is so sad. My husband fears that. I think it is crazy. You are who you are. I did fine not eating a thing my first week and we attend a crawfish boil and a bbq. I drank my liquids and was fine. I do not have any addictive behaviors before and I dont think I will pick any up. Well may be blogging on VST. That is my new thing.

I've only had alcohol on a couple of social occasions.. It hit me fast and made me very flush and uneasy for a minute or two,

The interesting thing for me is I felt very buzzed quickly but then that feeling of being buzzed went away went away just as quickly..

I had some red wine and one time a very small glass of Vodka and cranberry and added ice to it all night.

I've never had a problem with alcohol, just food,

But I will say (as I have said before so please forgive me) that weeks after surgery I was still taking my pain meds every night (same time that I did my best eating too) to feel "better" I started looking forward to my night time dose.

I refilled my meds twice :(

I told my husband what I was doing and how I was feeling and we threw the pain meds out.

I was never hooked on drugs just food..

You are very strong for noticing the problem. I am proud of you.

What about using a straw stretches out the sleeve?

Did you see the post a while back where a poster said that a woman from her support group gained all her weight back in 6 months because she used a straw? Seriously. It was the funniest thing I have ever read on here!

Um....no I'm pretty darn sure something else was going in her mouth besides a straw!