Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

meltdown at the grocery store!

Yep it happened, I went shopping for the first time since on the liquid diet, about a week and lost it on my boyfriend. I have considered my self conquering this diet and loving the quick weight loss during it but while shopping and trying to buy food to make sure he eats I lost it! I was past due for my shake and starting to feeling hunger for the first time. I had to leave and go cry in the car. I thought it ended there but no. After I cooked him dinner I had another before bed, this because I Ended up missing one of my shakes and was hungry for the first time going to bed. I was so upset at him for eating! I feel better today but I felt week for the first time, am I alone here?

This is a massive adjustment in our lives..Almost too big to comprehend before actually going through it. Right now you are tired, hungry and angry. I feel your pain as I am seven days out from surgery. This will all get better. It has too, right? Perhaps your boyfriend needs to be a little more supportive and fend for himself while you are transitioning?

The first 4 weeks are torture. Hypoglycemia, hormones changing rapidly, our lifeline being taken away. I'm 6 weeks now and I can confidently say that it gets better. For me it was 3 1/2 weeks out. A few days after figuring out "purées" it does get better and though while you're living in it it seems like forever, I look back at that time and chuckle at my pathetic self. Lol

Oooohhhh, sweetie. It is all OK, such big changes taking place. Forgive yourself - it's all normal. I had a meltdown in Walmart shortly after I had my surgery - my husband was taking W A Y too long to just buy a darn mount for our new TV. It should not take 1 1/2 hours - and I lost it. I was tired, needed to have a shake and all emotional.

I am 4 1/2 months out now from surgery and it gets better - so much better. I am loving my life, my sleeve, exercising (never thought I would ever say that!!) I've settled into a new way of cooking and eating. I, by choice, don't eat Pasta, rice, potatoes, bread - so I just make a single serving of the carb item for him for dinner and he eats the Protein & veggies that I eat. Obviously he eats more of each but it's working.

Be kind to yourself, you have been through a lot and bravo to you!!! This will all be a humorous memory soon enough. Keep up the great work.

I had multiple meltdowns during my preop, usually while working at my boyfriend's convenience store. I felt like a crazy person crying in the bathroom because I couldn't have chips!

Know this, you are ok. It does get better. Most of us who are sleeve and on this Journey have experience stress or even tears. But you are working hard and Hard work pays off even thru the tears only means you are trying hard. . I am 61/2 weeks and and conquering things that I never thought I could have before without turning to my Favorite candy and popcorn foods. Keeping up the good work we are all behind you.

To your Success we are rooting for you.

Ballermom

Thank you tj all for the kind words, I feel better and have excepted that I have to be more vocal and tell people when I can't do cooking shopping etc, my BF has been so good and he feels so bad , I was definitely acting invincible until the meltdown, the reality is that I am going thru a lot of changes and its okay to say no I need to step away from things I don't feel strong enough to do, especially where I have always seen myself as The Cook, he can cook like in his bachelor days lol !

I was there. My husband stopped at McDonald's because he was hungry. I had to sit in the truck starving and weak and smell the chicken nuggets and French fries. I was so mad at him I didn't speak to him for a few days. I'm four months post op and now can go order his and the kids good and drive home it doesn't effect me now.

It gets way better once you are on regular food. I cook for my family and now that I can eat food again I am able to actually just cook something healthy for all of us and then I'm eating the same things they are. That way I don't feel like I'm left out or missing the good food they are getting. It gets way better at that point.

As I look back to my beginnings, I would get so angry and repulsed by my families eating habits that I couldn't stand to be in the same room with them. I would think, "OMG, how can you eat all that???" I am 19 months post op and I still have moments like this. I do know that it gets easier and the emotional moments get further and further apart. When having these moments, I often left the room and busied myself with something else to take my mind off of what was going on..... This is such a major change for all of us, and let's face, how many of us really like change? I didn't in the beginning, but yesturday I realized that I have come to love change. Yes, we all need change or our world tends to get stagnate. So here's to the best change in my whole life style...Cheers to healthy eating habits..... :P

Like you, I have felt strong & ready for the changes that will come after I have surgery in June, but I'm also trying to be realistic about the difficulties. My hubby keeps swearing he's going to use this opportunity to try & eat better. I think that's great, but I'm trying to take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure his intentions are good, but he won't have the physical alteration I will have, and so it may not happen like he thinks. I've already told him he's going to be on his own foodwise for the first few weeks after surgery...I don't want to feel like I have to cook for him until I feel ready.

Too often we feel we have to be everything for everyone in our families, and at the end of the day we end up feeling hurt and angry with them for letting us do too much. This is our time to take things a little slower post op, and if it means THEY have to do a little work to take care of themselves, then so be it!

Michelle, I feel everything you are going thru..i am in my pre-op diet phase and I have had several breakdowns..the most recent was yesterday. I went to weigh in and I have only lost 11lbs of the required 25 i need to loose. Come to find out I had been drinking double the amount of the protien shakes, 2 scoops as opposed to 1. I went to the car and broke down, i felt it was yet again something else that i cant do or have..fear of being hungry is the most overwhelming fear for me..

I too feel like i am of control. My surgery is next Wends. I am really scared now...

I carry a shake in my purse at all times! One week on the liquid diet and no breakdown yet. Luckily, my husband and kids are all very supportive (husband is also going through the process, but is 3 months behind me). My biggest issue is to not eat and drink at the same time. I'm really bad at it, but I figure I'll learn one way or the other; surgery in one week!

I had multiple meltdowns during my preop' date=' usually while working at my boyfriend's convenience store. I felt like a crazy person crying in the bathroom because I couldn't have chips![/quote']

This made me laugh for like 10 minutes straight, thank you!!