Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to know honest calorie intake

I'm almost 6 weeks out and i eat about 1000 calories a day. I'm trying to get up to 1200 day because I don't want to slow my metabolism.

I just looked back at my log, and at 7 weeks, I was eating between 600-800 calories. About 10-12 weeks I increased to 800-100, and now at 4 months, I'm 9000-1200. I don't plan to go any higher than that, and like to be closer to 1000-1100 most days. I eat 4 times a day, so that's one way to decrease calories. Eating more frequently = increased calories. I also don't eat much of anything that's processed, and I don't eat bread, rice, or Pasta. My dietician would probably prefer me to be at 800 calories, but I don't feel good at that. I also wasn't losing any faster at 800 calories by the time I was in my third post op month, but initially, I did. Anyway, the other posters have given you great suggestions for getting in Protein on a low calorie diet, and it can be done - honestly, no one is making it up :) Good luck as you figure it out.

I am 3.5 weeks postop and I'm struggling to get 700 calories in a day. Per MFP I should be successful today. I'm still working to balance plenty of Water and eating. I don't want to stay this low. It's better for losing to ease up and provide proper fuel.

Ok I'm not calling anyone a liar but there is something I just don't understand and that is calorie intake. The majority of people at the same time frame as me 3 days shy of 7 weeks eat 600-800 calories a day. At least that's what I've read. Is that honest? Cos I just don't even understand. For Breakfast I had this yogurt with honey mixed in it' date=' I don't remember the name but I got it in the organic section cos it had 12 grams of Protein. That was 190 calories. I ate that at 8am. At 10:30 I had a string cheese which was 80 cal and 6g of Protein. At 1 I had a pure Protein shake that was 160 cal and 30g of protein. Just now 3:20 I had 2 lean cuisine spring rolls with a little bit of cocktail sauce so that is 173 cal but I rounded up to 175. That meal was only like 8g of protein. I've only drank Water and then a fuze low cal which is 10 calories. So total that is 615 calories and its only 3:30. I'll eat two more times, a snack and dinner so how do I keep both those under 185 cals total for an 800 cal limit?? I just don't understand how people stay so low. This is probably the lowest I've been all week and its still gonna be more that 800. Is 6-8 hundred calories really an honest amount or does everybody just differ dramatically. It's very strange. I can't even find food that low in calories. I really wish I would have researched way more before surgery. I thought I did but I really could use some more[/quote']

I would switch the yougart for a 0 fat Greek and add 1/3 cup of granola works out to less cal but much more filling and start mixing your own Protein shakes with Water not milk

I am 5 weeks out and eat between 500-700 calories a day and have trouble getting them in. For breakfast I typically have 3 oz yogurt and 1 scrambled egg. lunch I eat about 1/8 cup turkey and maybe a piece of 2% cheese. dinner is often a Soup at hand and I have a couple of Protein Drinks and a couple of sobe lifewater 0. If I snack, I eat a Jello Sugar Free Chocolate pudding or an unsweetened apple sauce. I have lost interest in eating which I guess is a good thing! I eat very consciously! At my 2 week post op visit I had lost 41 lbs and haven't weighed since. I wouldn't buy any of the packaged dinners. They are a trap. I don't eat bread at all. I try not to get any "white carbs" either. ........... Keep at it! You'll be fine! :)

I was barely getting in 700 calories until yesterday. The manual that I was provided by the docs office says that it's best to get between 1000 and 1300 calories for optimum weight loss. I must say that I've been in stall after stall but I've started losing again after I increased the intake.

I think some people have an easier time with real food than others. I use the Syntrax Nectar shakes and those are only 100 cal/serving. I add Protein to a skinny latte every morning, and it takes me hours to finish that at work, so I don't usually have an AM snack. 5 months out, I can finally eat 2oz of chicken at a time and I've been very happy about that. I know some people can eat anything right away, but I couldn't. I took one bite of pizza 2 months out and my stomach hurt for hours, so I had to wait a few weeks to try later. I still can't tolerate bread or rice. I am still usually between 500 and 700 cal per day unless I eat nuts. I can eat almonds or pistachios like crazy. I think it's all different from person to person.

Every single person is going to be different. There are no hard and fast rules, per se, except listening to our surgeons and nutritionists. Playing the comparison game is a bad habit to get into because we -are-all so very different!

I'm almost six months out and there is no way on Earth that I can eat my daily allotted calories. I use MFP to track my intake, focus on Protein, drink Water, and try to stay active. But I'm human. When my TOM comes around, my calories are a little higher but not over and when I stall I've figured out my routine to get out of it. I avoid carbs, gluten, and most grains because I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease -and- because my sleeve dislikes practically all of them. But I didn't figure it all out overnight. It was a lot of trial and error.

Please please please know that I understand your frustration. Give yourself time to become acclimated and on an even keel. And by all means, feel free to add me on MFP if you want to see what my day is like or have additional support! :)

Per Kaiser: You should have 400-600 calories a day 1 - 3 months, 600-800 3-6 months, 800-1000 6-12 months and no more than 1200 at 1 year plus. You should also have 60-80 g of Protein thru 6 months, 80-100g 6-12 months and 100-120g from 12 months on. Note, the lower number is usually the best for women, the larger for men. Remember, protein first! Stay away from things that have higher calories because it usually means there is hidden sugar, like in the yogurt. Try eating Greek yogurt, it has double the protein than regular yogurt. Buy plain flavor and add your own fresh fruit, like natural applesauce and a pinch of cinnamon. Or your own vanilla or other extract. You can use artificial sweetener to make it sweeter. Reading labels essential to successful weight loss. I am 14 months out and have lost 104% of my excess weight! Even with bypass the estimated loss is 75%! So you can succeed with a sleeve if you want to! Hope that helps. = )

Staying away from home cooked foods???? I just enter my recipe into MFP and it gives me an accurate calorie count.

I cook sometimes with recipes but cook mostly with recipes I grew up with......would I have to find every single seasoning and add it....right now (being only 3 wks out) that might be too much for me.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I also eat Dannon Light &Fit, 80 calories, 12 grams of Protein )breakfast), snack is a Protein Shake (70 calories, 15 grams protein), lunch was a slice ham and slice cheese rolled up, snack is apple and then supper usually 3 oz chicken and veg. Sometimes I forget to eat also....

I'm 7 weeks out today and today was the first day I went over 800 calories. I had a lunch meeting out so ate more calories than I usually do for lunch. I typically fall between 700-750 calories and between 60-70 grams of Protein. I can see how I could eat more if I grazed throughout the day but I try not to do that. I also had two mini chocolate eggs leftover from Easter. Oops!!

I'm 5 months out and eat 1000-1300 calories a day. I've lost 65 pounds. For yogurt I eat Chobani greek yogurt with fruit at the bottom. It has 120 cal and 14 g of Protein. The Dannon light and fit taste better but has artificial ingredients. I only snack between lunch and dinner and maybe after dinner if I have the calories. I don't eat anything packaged because of the sodium and preservatives. If you've eaten too much calories before dinner, shrimp or fish is very low in calories with lots of Protein. Super fast and easy to make too.

I got up to 1000 calories pretty fast after surgery. I've shocked my body enough before surgery with all the failed diets. I want to sustain a healthy lifestyle. Through trial and error you'll find what works for you.

Thank you all for your replies. Some were helpful. I don't know if anyone has read my other posts but I have a real problem with eggs and chicken so I don't eat either of those. Thank you for the yogurt suggestions, I've had a hard time finding low cal high Protein (I'm a very sucky shopper because I have three little kids with me every time I shop). I'm also always hungry and that is why I eat every two hours. If I don't I feel like I'm going to pass out. Hunger is worse now than before surgery so that's been a real struggle even when I have a lot of protein. Anyways, thank you for the suggestions and letting me know that 600-800 is doable. I appreciate some of your advice.

Ok I'm not calling anyone a liar but there is something I just don't understand and that is calorie intake. The majority of people at the same time frame as me 3 days shy of 7 weeks eat 600-800 calories a day. At least that's what I've read. Is that honest? Cos I just don't even understand. For Breakfast I had this yogurt with honey mixed in it, I don't remember the name but I got it in the organic section cos it had 12 grams of Protein. That was 190 calories. I ate that at 8am. At 10:30 I had a string cheese which was 80 cal and 6g of Protein. At 1 I had a pure protein shake that was 160 cal and 30g of protein. Just now 3:20 I had 2 lean cuisine spring rolls with a little bit of cocktail sauce so that is 173 cal but I rounded up to 175. That meal was only like 8g of protein. I've only drank Water and then a fuze low cal which is 10 calories. So total that is 615 calories and its only 3:30. I'll eat two more times, a snack and dinner so how do I keep both those under 185 cals total for an 800 cal limit?? I just don't understand how people stay so low. This is probably the lowest I've been all week and its still gonna be more that 800. Is 6-8 hundred calories really an honest amount or does everybody just differ dramatically. It's very strange. I can't even find food that low in calories. I really wish I would have researched way more before surgery. I thought I did but I really could use some more

I am of the group the tends to eat less than 800 calories a day. I just went for my check ins with my NUT AND MY FITNESS TRAINER TODAY. Basically, my calories have always been a concern for me since I started eating real food. I eat 5 times a day and average between 500-800 calories. When I first started doing cardio I was able to get 1000 calories a day. I have to try really hard to get anything over 800 calories or eat something very high in calories. I was told today that people around my post up time are already up to 1000 calories. My NUT recommended getting close to 1200 calories, but not more to keep my metabolism up. Also, the amount I work out and the intensity at which I work out I need more Water, protein, carbs and calories. Today I feel like I have been stuffing myself and my total calories is 562 and it is 3pm. gah! I don't feel well when I eat a lot, but I also don't want my weight loss to stall. I am not considered a slow loser, but my NUT suggested my weight loss might be quicker if I upped my calories.

So I am going to try REAL hard to up it to 1000 calories a day.

My diary is also viewable on myfitnesspal if you are curious as to what I eat. I had surgery January 30, 2013. username is Lanipooh...o's are zeros