Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the hardest part for you?!

I'm about 9 weeks post op, and I'm facing new challenges now that I am released to a regular diet. Being in on the road frequently with business lunches, dinners, buffets plus social situations with bday cake and such is presenting a challenge. 1. I find eating slowly very difficult when I am talking and around others who are eating fast. Plus the "last bite syndrome" when I know I should stop. It's easier to eat the correct amount when I prepare and measure the serving at home. At restaurants, I still focus on Protein, but I end up spitting up most of the time, even when I think I did OK. 2. At bday parties and sporting events, my brain gets all fuzzy around sweets. I fixate on them and even when I KNOW better, I KNOW they have no nutritional value, but I just want a taste. I rarely give in for a taste, but it gives me anxiety. 3. I am more obsessed with food now that I ever was. It's nice to focus on making healthy choices rather than eating everything I used to want, but it is constantly on my mind.

I am having VGS surgery on April 26. My biggest fear is the fact that all of me and my husbands socializing revolves around meals and eating out.(which is why I'm fat)

I am worried about the life style change for both of us. I am also worried about the flabby skin and hair loss but I can deal with that when the time comes. Right now I have such mixed emotions' date=' mostly excited but nervous that something will happen to me during surgery and my kids will suffer.[/quote']

Laura, we eat out maybe three to five times a week. We did so prior to the surgery and we still do. We also have a very active social life and eat at friends homes quite often. We are also wine collectors and our friends in general are all wine lovers (we do allow a few non wino's as well LOL).

Pre surgery dinner out was an appetizer, typically shared with DH or whoever was with us. Then a salad, the main course and a shared dessert. Two to three six ounce glasses of wine and perhaps a port on occasion.

Now dinner is an appetizer as my main course or a bite of an app if we are sharing one at the table. I love a good menu with great apps because they make the perfect meal size for me (only one serving to take home verses four or more). That said I do occasionally have a main course instead, but most of it goes home with me. I rarely even touch dessert but if I do it's a bite. I might have a glass of wine or two, but more likely it's one or even half of a glass.

I still enjoy a meal at the same pace as everyone else, I just eat and drink less. You don't have to change that part of your life unless what you are eating is bad food. I don't think there's a meal I could sit around at MacDonalds and enjoy...that said, they don't have wine so I don't eat there :P

I tend to eat things like steak or fish or my favorite, clams or muscles. And only high quality food. Why eat crap when you can eat so little?

At friends houses I work around my needs. I don't do much with bread or sugar so I eat what makes sense, but they eat pretty well so it's also not that hard. If you are a died in the wool italian with Pasta everywhere...that might be harder :( But even I do eat a bit of spaghetti once a week and it goes down fine.

I'm not having issues losing weight and still maintain the social world I have always been in. I'm just eating less, which is where you will be too.

Head hunger will be the death of me ... One step at a time. :)

Head hunger is the worst. I am 3 1/2 mos post op

Laura, we eat out maybe three to five times a week. We did so prior to the surgery and we still do. We also have a very active social life and eat at friends homes quite often. We are also wine collectors and our friends in general are all wine lovers (we do allow a few non wino's as well LOL).

Pre surgery dinner out was an appetizer, typically shared with DH or whoever was with us. Then a salad, the main course and a shared dessert. Two to three six ounce glasses of wine and perhaps a port on occasion.

Now dinner is an appetizer as my main course or a bite of an app if we are sharing one at the table. I love a good menu with great apps because they make the perfect meal size for me (only one serving to take home verses four or more). That said I do occasionally have a main course instead, but most of it goes home with me. I rarely even touch dessert but if I do it's a bite. I might have a glass of wine or two, but more likely it's one or even half of a glass.

I still enjoy a meal at the same pace as everyone else, I just eat and drink less. You don't have to change that part of your life unless what you are eating is bad food. I don't think there's a meal I could sit around at MacDonalds and enjoy...that said, they don't have wine so I don't eat there :P

I tend to eat things like steak or fish or my favorite, clams or muscles. And only high quality food. Why eat crap when you can eat so little?

At friends houses I work around my needs. I don't do much with bread or sugar so I eat what makes sense, but they eat pretty well so it's also not that hard. If you are a died in the wool italian with Pasta everywhere...that might be harder :( But even I do eat a bit of spaghetti once a week and it goes down fine.

I'm not having issues losing weight and still maintain the social world I have always been in. I'm just eating less, which is where you will be too.

Thank you so much for replying! It makes me so happy to hear that I will eventually be able to enjoy wine again! I have been in mourning for several weeks thinking that I would never be able to have another drink. I guess I didn't realize what would be added back into my diet.

I am less than 2 weeks from my surgery and very excited. This week I plan on buying my Vitamins and liquids so I will have them ready when I get home.

It is so hard to imagine what surgery and after will be like. I'm sure I will have to turn to this forum often to save my sanity!

The hardest part for me was the sip, sip, sip. I don't know why...it drove me crazy. And then I was more focused on it and it drove me more crazy.

I am 13 weeks out and can drink "normal" now. I believe it was around week 8 when I actually NOTICED I could.

I now eat to live, not live to eat. :)

Losing hair, flabby skin and stretching out my stomach with drinking.

My biggest fear before was waking up DURING surgery

Holy cow! I thought I was the only one w/ this fear! I woke up while having a tooth pulled and it was torture, luckily they saw me struggling and quickly juiced me up but what if I have one of those weird things like I can hear and feel what's happening but no one else knows?!?! Sigh.

I'm also worried about looking old after surgery. I see a lot of before and after pics on here and although these people look awesome, some look like they've aged 10-15 years in a matter of months.

I'm also worried about my coworkers ordering food. The aroma in the office will make my life miserable. Also I haven't told them anything and won't be about my surgery so the questions about why I am not ordering will be awkward :-/

Holy cow! I thought I was the only one w/ this fear! I woke up while having a tooth pulled and it was torture' date=' luckily they saw me struggling and quickly juiced me up but what if I have one of those weird things like I can hear and feel what's happening but no one else knows?!?! Sigh.

I'm also worried about looking old after surgery. I see a lot of before and after pics on here and although these people look awesome, some look like they've aged 10-15 years in a matter of months.

I'm also worried about my coworkers ordering food. The aroma in the office will make my life miserable. Also I haven't told them anything and won't be about my surgery so the questions about why I am not ordering will be awkward :-/

[/quote']

No!!!! I was TERRIFIED of waking up and no-one knowing!!! I also made the mistake of google-ing the subject, which was a BIG mistake! Apparently though, they've advanced the monitoring so much that there's no way they can't tell, and that actually, people who do think they had some awareness were actually just dreaming....

I think I look older and I'm really conscious of my new turkey-neck, but everyone says I look younger and the turkey neck will shrink back.... Although they may just be being kind! I think that fluffier people look young anyway because all the wrinkles are filled out, but when we loose, if we age a little is just means we look closer to our real age - and so much hotter!

Take-out food is hell to be around because it smells so much stronger and SO DAMN GOOD! I did find though that it was the flavour I wanted, not the food, and one friend at work who does know (I haven't told everyone either) let's me lick his plate!!! Lol!!!!! :-D As far as questions go, your loss will be dramatic so you'll have to have a diet story ready; I went with a slimfast & Soup diet so the liquid phase would be easily explained....

GOOD LUCK!

No!!!! I was TERRIFIED of waking up and no-one knowing!!! I also made the mistake of google-ing the subject' date=' which was a BIG mistake! Apparently though, they've advanced the monitoring so much that there's no way they can't tell, and that actually, people who do think they had some awareness were actually just dreaming....

I think I look older and I'm really conscious of my new turkey-neck, but everyone says I look younger and the turkey neck will shrink back.... Although they may just be being kind! I think that fluffier people look young anyway because all the wrinkles are filled out, but when we loose, if we age a little is just means we look closer to our real age - and so much hotter!

Take-out food is hell to be around because it smells so much stronger and SO DAMN GOOD! I did find though that it was the flavour I wanted, not the food, and one friend at work who does know (I haven't told everyone either) let's me lick his plate!!! Lol!!!!! :-D As far as questions go, your loss will be dramatic so you'll have to have a diet story ready; I went with a slimfast & Soup diet so the liquid phase would be easily explained....

GOOD LUCK![/quote']

I have been on a diet (again) since march 5th and have lost about 20 pounds so far and they know I'm going to the gym and hula hoop classes so hopefully they'll think I kicked into high gear. Plus I already sought of started playing with her hernia repair thing so hopefully this goes over well. Plus I don't plan on working here much longer anyway. I think a slimmer me can land a better job so we'll see. Sigh but TY

As weird as this may be...my biggest fear is that the weight loss will destroy my tattoos. I've invested a lot of time and money in my tattoos and for a long time now they are one of the only pretty things about me and I'm afraid they will be ruined.

@thetattooedlady Aw girl Im sure they will be fine. Just try to drink plenty of Water and have a gradual weight loss not 100lbs over night! lol. I got my tats on my foot and wrist, places I knew wouldnt be effected once I lost weight and Im getting maybe a 3/4 sleeve or side piece once Im down to my goal weight because I worry about the same thing! But remember everyones bodies are different Im sure youll be fine and your beautiful tattoos will match your beautiful new smokin hot bod before ya know it ;)

Whatsoever you mean by head hunger? Like your not really hungry it's more of a metal thing like a habit ? If you do snack what do ya snack on ?

You will figure out head hunger versus physical hunger after surgery. I had surgery march 12 I am down 40lbs. You get filled with just a few bites you feel statisfied but them you see something on tv or smell something good cooking and it triggers your head hunger. I have to stop myself and say are you really hungry or are you just craving? Most of the time it's a craving because of some sort of visual cue or a a smell. I fight it all he time but its getting better now that I am more in time with it. Hope that helps!

Yeah I've hear a lot of people struggle with head hunger, which I do now lol but I hope I can fight my cravings after surgery I mean it would be stupid not to!:) thanks for the advice

This is what I worry about. We used to do "Sunday dinner" on our Sunday work nights and now I can't participate even pre-op. One of my co-workers has tried to pressure me a couple times to order with the group and I have a rough time saying no. Of course I want to, but its just not worth the calories or fat to eat something fried! It makes me feel a little awkward but I figure that will lessen as time goes on. They know I'm having surgery so I just have to stick to my guns.