Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the hardest part for you?!

Hey everyone I'm about a month 1/2 away from getting my operation. What was some of your guys biggest fears and hardest things you've had to over come after the surgery?

My biggest fear is that the staples wont hold. I recently learned that my grandma and aunt both had different surgeries and that the staples didn't hold for either of them. The tissue was to soft and they tore through later. That freaks me out! What if I got that soft tissue gene? So I guess my fear in short would be a leak.

I know right I worry about thaT too!! I heard of horror stories where it did and it can be life threatening yikes, just have to baby your stomach the best you can and constantly listen to your body and be aware of any red flags that your body is giving you over it esp. with your family history. More than likely youll be fine my love =) but it is a scary thought for sure!

My biggest fear was not waking up after surgery. And the hardest thing I've had to overcome is head hunger and not drinking while I eat.

I know I will be. :) I am trying not to think about it to much right now. I have one more visit with the NUT then everything will be submitted to the insurance. I am having the surgery, like you said; I will just have to be extra careful!

What's your biggest fear besides a leak?

My biggest fear was not waking up after surgery. And the hardest thing I've had to overcome is head hunger and not drinking while I eat.

That is a valid fear! I was watching Gray s Anatomy and this happened, it really got me thinking about it. Head hunger will be the death of me and I finally got off of caffeine and sodas. Next is most sugar then I will stop drinking while I eat. One step at a time. :)

My biggest fear was and is that the sleeve won't work for me, that 6 months from now I'll maybe only be a few pounds lighter. The hardest things to overcome in the beginning is all the "rules." I still struggle to get all my Protein, Water, and Vitamins in. It is becoming a habit and starting to feel more of a routine but it requires a lot of planning in the beginning. For me planning is a challenge, before surgery I could eat any and everything. Now it's protein first. I wasn't a big water drinker before surgery so success in a day for me is around 48 oz a day. Same with vitamins, I didn't start taking them until last year when I got diagnosed with a Vit D deficiency. Now I'm supposed to take two multi-vitamins and two calciums a day, plus B-12 three times a week. It's a lot. I found it helpful to chart it all out everyday for the first two weeks (I took two weeks off to recover): I wrote out my meals, measured my food, ticked off my water and vitamins. Now I try to always keep a Protein Bar and vitamins in my purse, and bottled water in the trunk of my car.

My biggest fears about this surgery is that 1. I will lose hair 2. I will not be able to drink milk anymore and I LOVE MILK ITS ALL I DRINK AND Water 3.That I will have problems pooping afterwards uhg. Those are what Im super nervous about and I think Im going to struggle not drinking with my meals Ive always drank more than eat during a meal so thats gonna take some getting use to . But I guess after I train my brain everything will become second nature to me but I know the first few months will be a huge challenge but SO worth it

My biggest fears about this surgery is that 1. I will lose hair 2. I will not be able to drink milk anymore and I LOVE MILK ITS ALL I DRINK AND Water 3.That I will have problems pooping afterwards uhg. Those are what Im super nervous about and I think Im going to struggle not drinking with my meals Ive always drank more than eat during a meal so thats gonna take some getting use to . But I guess after I train my brain everything will become second nature to me but I know the first few months will be a huge challenge but SO worth it

I think you need to prepare yourself for these "side effects" of surgery

Hair... it will thin

You may not be able to tolerate milk for a while

Water is necessary, but is challenging.

Pooping? Well it's a sad fact but yes it's hard!

(No pun intended :P)

Everything becomes habit after a while. The pooping thing should resolve eventually but in the meantime you take a Fiber supplement. You will most likely lose hair but you aren't going to go bald ;) milk....you could become lactose intolerant but then your tastes will change after surgery and maybe you won't like or want milk anyway. I was like you in that it was nothing out of the ordinary for me to have coffee, juice and Water along with my Breakfast but you learn to wait. Again, it's just habits you form along the way. But to see the scale move and your clothes becoming baggy makes it all worth it!

Mine is the flab or as I like to call it, a stomach tounge..also sticking to eating healthier lol

The hardest thing for me has been eating slow enough and head hunger. Before I went back to work it was easy but now that I am back on a regular schedule it is difficult. I have to watch a clock to pace myself and it is a constant struggle. Also...head hunger has been an issue for me. I am not hungry...I do eat three meals a day but the snacking in between has been a struggle for me too. Good luck!

Whatsoever you mean by head hunger? Like your not really hungry it's more of a metal thing like a habit ? If you do snack what do ya snack on ?

What do you mean *** sorry autocorrect

My biggest fear before was waking up DURING surgery, and my biggest issue after has been a really slow, extended path back to normal food; I'm 9 weeks out and only just on occasional mush with my liquid! Also, I have terrible loose skin under my chin that's really bothering me.....

BUT! Those things are passing stages or insignificant - I have low moments here & there the same as everyone, thinking 'what the hell have I done.', however I still wouldn't change my decision for anything!

Good luck!