Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Post-Op journey so far. Sleeved on 4/2/13

So your only 5 days out and that is normal..The first week was the hardest for me and then every day after that was better and better..Hang in there because it does get better, I promise..Today I am a month out and I feel great, some days I even forget I had surgery..It's still a challenge with the liquids and Protein but it gets easier..Just try to get in as much liquids and protein as you can..The first week the liquids are most important so you don't get dehydrated, try to sip sip sip...Good luck to you..

Hi Kari!

Thanks for sharing. I was sleeved the day after you, and also thought I was prepared for what I was about to endure. I have friends and relatives who have been through being sleeved or had the bypass and they warned me that when I first woke up I would be like "what the heck have I done". They were right. I've typically handled pain well, but considering they're cutting out your stomach and moving all kinds of organs around, how can it not be painful.

Also the few days/couple weeks after really kicked my butt!!!! One day I actually cried, wondering how much longer I was going to feel bad. With that being said, I have reached a turning point and I feel much better now. I am learning quickly what it means to feel full and when I am TRULY hungry (there is a difference in head hunger and true hunger). I've read a lot people say they're no longer hungry. I am!!! Just not for the same things.

I've also had a HUGE problem getting in enough Protein. I HATE the shakes now, and I've tried many!! I get most of my Protein thru yogurt, eggs, and milk. I LOVE milk right now. I drink the Smart Balance milk. Tastes like real milk with 0 fat and more protein.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can start reintroducing food into my diet. I've noticed I ask everyone all the time- so what did you have for dinner, lunch whenever. Lol. Like I'm living my food life thru them.

I am so happy I've done this for myself!! I'm down 31 lbs today and a couple pants sizes!!! But I agree with you Kari, and think its important for people to see all the sides, positive and negative! I'd do it again, but would just be better prepared. Because the first couple weeks were NOT fun!!!

Krys

Yes Krys I agree, but I don't think you can be fully prepared..I'm so glad you are doing better now as well. Good luck to you on your new journey!

Oh and yes' date=' I am doing better everyday. Today has been my best day so far. Went outside for a walk and the fresh air did me some good. I just wonder why I really feel hunger, do you?[/quote']

I did my op almost same period like yours...it was 30/3/2013

And yes there is a feeling of hunger...n missing food,,

How would you better prepare? What would you have done differently?

My surgery date is in 3 weeks and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. I've had a couple of hernia surgeries and they were pretty painful, but it seems like internal organs might be more so. I do know I should have walked more and sooner, so I'm planning to try and do that. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else to do to prepare.

Hi MIrrim....I can't really think of anything I could or would have done differently that would have prepared me anymore..I had been preparing for over a year..Besides the normal pain from surgery and recovering from that, I think the biggest thing for me that is hard to prepare for was the mental part of it that I wasn't expecting..But now, looking back, I really think that also has a lot to do with just no feeling well from surgery, cause you feel terrible the first week and then also have to deal with not eating food and keeping track of everything was hard on me too when I wasn't feeling well..example, crushing up all my meds all day and making sure to get them down, figuring out how much Protein, liquid, etc to get in, it was just all so overwhelming when your not feeling well...NOW, I am 4 weeks out and I feel great, and forget that I even had surgery...Honestly, its kind of like having a baby, it sucks when your going through it, but then you forget about it, I can barely even remember how I felt that first week, if I didn't have my story to read, I wouldn't even remember that, honestly..You will do great, the first week may be tough, but just keep telling yourself that everyday will get better and better and it will only be a memory...good luck to you..

Hi MIrrim....I can't really think of anything I could or would have done differently that would have prepared me anymore..I had been preparing for over a year..Besides the normal pain from surgery and recovering from that' date=' I think the biggest thing for me that is hard to prepare for was the mental part of it that I wasn't expecting..But now, looking back, I really think that also has a lot to do with just no feeling well from surgery, cause you feel terrible the first week and then also have to deal with not eating food and keeping track of everything was hard on me too when I wasn't feeling well..example, crushing up all my meds all day and making sure to get them down, figuring out how much Protein, liquid, etc to get in, it was just all so overwhelming when your not feeling well...NOW, I am 4 weeks out and I feel great, and forget that I even had surgery...Honestly, its kind of like having a baby, it sucks when your going through it, but then you forget about it, I can barely even remember how I felt that first week, if I didn't have my story to read, I wouldn't even remember that, honestly..You will do great, the first week may be tough, but just keep telling yourself that everyday will get better and better and it will only be a memory...good luck to you..[/quote']

Your post spoke to me too. I had lost 65 lbs years ago and got a Tummy Tuck because of the excess skin. So I sort of felt that this surgery would not be as bad...because that TT was a B****. That pain was awful. So how bad can 5 little holes be? This should be a breeze....right. Well Pain was almost equal...I think my recovery time for pain will be the same. I went thru a few recovery melt downs then and I can feel one coming with this surgery. So your sharing is helpful.

Trying to manage a feeding schedule and the pain has been all consuming....I can not image going back to work for at least another week and a half.

Sent from my iPad using VST

When did you have your surgery? I promise, it gets better..

I had my surgery on April 24. Today was my first day getting frustrated with the diet. I want to chew something so bad....I chew my Jello like its prime rub....I can't believe I am anticipating puréed food! This full liquid diet is testing my endurance!

I feel so much better I lose 23 pound Since my surgery I thought I will never feel better now I need Exercise buddy I'm from NJ

How can I lose more weight I'm losing a pound a day but I need to lose more smh it feel like I will never get to my Goal weight

How can I lose more weight I'm losing a pound a day but I need to lose more smh it feel like I will never get to my Goal weight

I feel like that too. When did you get sleeved? I got mine 4/10 I'm down 23 lbs but I haven't lost anything tho past week :-(