Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY vs SLEEVE Wt loss...

So frustrated not sure what to think. Had the sleeve done July 2012 and I'm down 66lbs. Have a co-worker who had the bypass in Oct and she's already down 90lbs. Thing is, I have two co-worker who had the bypass and I feel like they don't eat...like EVER. And here I am,able to eat and etc but losing SLOW...where am I going wrong?!

So frustrated not sure what to think. Had the sleeve done July 2012 and I'm down 66lbs. Have a co-worker who had the bypass in Oct and she's already down 90lbs. Thing is' date=' I have two co-worker who had the bypass and I feel like they don't eat...like EVER. And here I am,able to eat and etc but losing SLOW...where am I going wrong?![/quote']

You would agree that scale weight does not tell the complete story, right? You might be losing at a more healthy rate and for sure are getting more nutrients because RNYERS patients are malnourished by definition. A few other questions. Are you getting 80+ g of Protein, 64 oz Water daily? These are minimum requirements. To be really successful, you will want to think about doubling those numbers. Are you exercising? 30 minutes a day of rigorous exercise is helpful, but an hour is better. And you want to be really working out where you are pushing yourself in both the upper fat burning zone and the cardio zone. Make sure you are weighing your food and not eating more then 3-5 oz Protein at a time. I am also a July 2012 Sleever.

Weight loss 6 months 35 lbs. The sleeve has a 20% chance for failure I fell into that. I will be getting a RNY now should have got it to start with.

Weight loss 6 months 35 lbs. The sleeve has a 20% chance for failure I fell into that. I will be getting a RNY now should have got it to start with.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of your excess weight did you lose with sleeve so far? If you are 40% or higher, I would not call it a failure. Even if it is lower, you have not "failed." It just means you need to figure out some changes to make. Do you exercise daily and eat as clean as possible? Even walking is a good exercise. How is your Protein and Water intake? Lets just talk as a group to see if we can help you out.

You do realize you can fail at bypass as well as stretching your pouch which a you may loose faster for a little while but you'll gain it all back in the end. Unless you realize you need to change how you eat and not what procedure you do.

My dr said the average weight lost between sleeves and bypass averages out about the same. The difference is the rate it is lost at. I know someone who had bypass and list 80 pounds quick and gained all and then some back. It's about discipline with your food choices and exercise. She can still only eat small volume but is making poor food choices as she hasn't list and just maintains her current weight.

what a disappointment! :-( I wish you great success with your revision!

Sorry you are dealing with this. I'm interested to know where you got this statistic because I had not heard that. My doc's office lumps the RNY patients in with the sleeve patients for statistical purposes. Based on that, it looks like I'm losing slow, but I don't so (even though I'm in the midst of a 3 week stall!). We still absorb every calorie we eat, so really, we can't expect our bodies to behave magically different than they did before the sleeve. We all know it's only a restrictive tool, but I keep thinking that the laws of nature will win and we will lose weight (slowly for some of us) as long as we continuously maintain a lower calorie intake. So, I'm wondering, is that considered a failure? Is less of a restriction a failure? Is continued hunger the failure? I'm not sure, but would love to know. I have much less restrriction than some people here report, but I still have a LOT less capacity than before. I could easily "eat around" my sleeve right now, if I chose to, but I think that woule make me the failure, not the surgery. I would love to see studies about what constitutes failure, and the causes.

I'm sure you have tried all the things we all must do to lose the weight, so I'm not going to give you advice about things you already know. Again, what you are describing is my worst feat, and I'm so sorry you are going through this. I do wish you success!

Sorry you are dealing with this. I'm interested to know where you got this statistic because I had not heard that. My doc's office lumps the RNY patients in with the sleeve patients for statistical purposes. Based on that' date=' it looks like I'm losing slow, but I don't so (even though I'm in the midst of a 3 week stall!). We still absorb every calorie we eat, so really, we can't expect our bodies to behave magically different than they did before the sleeve. We all know it's only a restrictive tool, but I keep thinking that the laws of nature will win and we will lose weight (slowly for some of us) as long as we continuously maintain a lower calorie intake. So, I'm wondering, is that considered a failure? Is less of a restriction a failure? Is continued hunger the failure? I'm not sure, but would love to know. I have much less restrriction than some people here report, but I still have a LOT less capacity than before. I could easily "eat around" my sleeve right now, if I chose to, but I think that woule make me the failure, not the surgery. I would love to see studies about what constitutes failure, and the causes.

I'm sure you have tried all the things we all must do to lose the weight, so I'm not going to give you advice about things you already know. Again, what you are describing is my worst feat, and I'm so sorry you are going through this. I do wish you success![/quote']

Your monthly track record is not too shabby according to your ticker. Good job!

I think failure is a misnomer. You only truly fail at something if you stop trying. What can be learned from the last round of sleeve month to month? Take what does not work and throw it out or change it. Keep the things that do work. Bodily physics will win in the end. We are all destined to be winners, just at different rates. It is a daily learning experience.

I wish for everyone to have success. After all, this surgery was a last chance effort by many of us. We found the past dieting efforts did not work and got tired of the insanity of trying the same thing over and over again. Stop the insanity!

Your monthly track record is not too shabby according to your ticker. Good job!

I think failure is a misnomer. You only truly fail at something if you stop trying. What can be learned from the last round of sleeve month to month? Take what does not work and throw it out or change it. Keep the things that do work. Bodily physics will win in the end. We are all destined to be winners, just at different rates. It is a daily learning experience.

I wish for everyone to have success. After all, this surgery was a last chance effort by many of us. We found the past dieting efforts did not work and got tired of the insanity of trying the same thing over and over again. Stop the insanity!

Thanks, Fiddleman. I agree, it is a daily learning experience. A big part of that learning is coming to the realization that we are all unique - all the way down to our sleeves. No two bodies will respond the same, and there are so many variables. I think that's what makes it harder to find a "formula" we can live with and find true and lasting success. Love reading your posts and watching your journey, thanks for the insight.