Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Please pray for my hubby today. Surgery is at 1. They are removing at least 18 inches of his colon, the mass (that we are hoping is NOT cancer). He will be in the hospital for a week. I am a crying, scared nervous wreck. Hoping that I don't have to hear the "c" word.

Praying for you and your family, Brandy!!!!!!!!! Please, please keep us posted if you get the chance. You will be in all of my thoughts and prayers!!!!!

Ladies, a quick question. Is it really necessary to get fills so soon after being banded? In my research, I have read that you would need a fill ideally every 3 to 4 months until you hit your sweet spot, but some people's signatures show them getting a fill every month after surgery for at least 3 months. That's just crazy expensive for me, and I'm hoping that's not normal??? :)

Hey girl! I haven't heard/read anything about waiting 3-4 months between fills. But since it typically takes several fills to get to a sweet spot, wouldn't that mean no real weight loss until about 9 months to a year after surgery?

Please pray for my hubby today. Surgery is at 1. They are removing at least 18 inches of his colon, the mass (that we are hoping is NOT cancer). He will be in the hospital for a week. I am a crying, scared nervous wreck. Hoping that I don't have to hear the "c" word.

You are in my thoughts and prayers dear!!

Brandy, If you need anything let me know you have my cell. Take care and keep us updated. Praying for you and hubby. Big hugs...:):)

And just cuz I thought you could use a laugh.

Hey girl! I haven't heard/read anything about waiting 3-4 months between fills. But since it typically takes several fills to get to a sweet spot, wouldn't that mean no real weight loss until about 9 months to a year after surgery?

Well, that's what I was thinking. Now I can't remember where I read that 3-4 months thing - so I'm kinda scared, LOL. If I need a fill every month for several months, that is going to be expensive! It'll mean a 3hr car ride for a $200 fill, or an all-day trip back to Dr. K's office for a free fill - with a $200 roundtrip airline ticket.

Gosh, now I'm bummed. I don't have that kinda time (or cash) on my hands, ya know? I was thinking I could afford $200/fill every 4 months, but every month? :)

Bah...humbug.

Well, that's what I was thinking. Now I can't remember where I read that 3-4 months thing - so I'm kinda scared, LOL. If I need a fill every month for several months, that is going to be expensive! It'll mean a 3hr car ride for a $200 fill, or an all-day trip back to Dr. K's office for a free fill - with a $200 roundtrip airline ticket.

Gosh, now I'm bummed. I don't have that kinda time (or cash) on my hands, ya know? I was thinking I could afford $200/fill every 4 months, but every month? :)

Bah...humbug.

I hear ya. If you can work it out to go to Dr. K for the first few fills or more, I say go for it! I use Dr. Ahigian in Denver, NC and I like him. If I remember correctly, I pay $165 - $175. But he's through Fill Centers USA, so I had to pay an outrageous start up fee of between $350 - $400. He's always hit my port painlessly and on the first try. (But he says Dr. K really made my port easy to find. He was very impressed by Dr. K's program. Wanted some of his business cards, because I was his first non-Mexico aftercare and he was glad to hear that a US surgeon was being proactive about helping folks stateside.) I've never actually seen the needle. He has a table that moves you to a standing position, then you drink the Water while he adjusts. He'll do it under fluro at the hospital for extra. He's about an hour away from me so it works out ok. But you've got to be VERY careful with Fill Centers providers-- I've heard horror stories. I think I lucked out.

If you can get a $200 flight from RDU to Dr. K. that'd be my first choice. But I have to fly out of Greensboro (with a stop in Charlotte or Atlanta or both) for about twice that, so it's just more practical for me to stay in NC. I want to get back to Denver CO at some point in my life to meet up with these banditos and to let Dr. K really check my band out. I'm saving my pennies for that.

Brandy, Sending positive thoughts your way! My girlfriend had this surgery last summer. Research has shown that chewing gum frequently after that type of surgery helps restore bowel activity, so you may want to stock up at the hospital gift shop. My friend tried it, and felt it helped her.

That's perfect or Puff Mama Heavy DD and the 80 Talking Boobies!

Don't you talk to your Boobies? I do! AND I'm not too happy with them right now!!! They went south for the winter and haven't returned!!!

IN College I had this really cute frog a lady from church crocheted me. He sat on my bed. My roommate used to make him do the most perverted things ever! I'd return to the room from class and find him violating himself and my other stuffed animals! She turned out to be a congresswoman for the state of NE. Go Figure! I loved that silly girl! BUT I was so embarrassed for my frog!

That's what I was thinking when I read about your cows! :)

Don't your teeth ever feel furry after a 12 hour shift? Esp on nights! I remember that!! Maybe the nair would work for that!

Why yes, they do feel a bit furry after a 12 hour night shift. Maybe you are on to something here! They need to make it mint flavored though!

I will be praying for you that everything turns out to be ok.

You should be on time. Sometimes his office is running right on time, others not so much. Did you get my cell number? You can call me and we will wait. What time is your flight? Are you coming here alone?

I'm looking forward to meeting you too!!!

I have your number. I get in to Denver about 11am and am renting a car. I am traveling alone. Did I give u my cell no.?:)

Bah...humbug.

I feel the same way and am hoping that my first fill (Oct. 7) will last a little while. Where did you find fills for $200.?

YAY!! Way to go! :laugh: I have a dress that I'm hoping to get my big butt into by Spring, so I know how you feel!

congrats on that! I didn't save anything from ideal weight days (after all, what looked good on an 8 year old 50 years ago probably wouldn't be stylish today!)

This is good to know. Two wks. from today and I will be banded.:eek: I am freaking out! I'm also not sleeping @ night :tt2: but am excited to get surgery over with.

Congrats to you. You will be fine. the staff are all super.
Updating with Greenie's data. Good job!!!

Adorkable Goal: 15/ wk 1: +5:laugh:

Bahotmomma Goal: 17/ wk 1: -1:laugh:

BellaPerdente Goal: 25/ wk 1: 0:laugh:

Bookholder Goal: 15/wk 1: +1:laugh:

Brandymom Goal: 20/ wk 1: -3.5:laugh:

Deboregon Goal: 15 smile.gif

DenverGirl Goal: 8/ wk 1: -2:laugh:

Greenchrysalis Goal: 15/ wk 1: -2 :laugh:

Lifesaver Goal: 15 smile.gif

Lotzasunshine Goal: 20/wk 1: -2 :laugh:

Marcyinak Goal: 16/wk 1: -4:laugh:

Minidriver Goal: 16/wk 1: -0:laugh:

Munchkin Goal: 15/wk 1: +1:laugh:

PrtyAntOvrYt Goal: 28/wk 1: +.8 :laugh:

ShelbiCallie Goal: 22/wk 1: 0:laugh:

Sidann Goal: 19/wk 1: -2:laugh:

Forgot to post: down 1.4 for first week.

Me too. My CPAP mask left big indentations in my face this morning. Not attractive.
my mask makes me crazy and the indents are truly not attractive:angry:
Oh My Gosh!!!! I have scheduled my surgery! October 3rd is the phone consult. Oct. 28 is the pre-op appt and I am having my very own band placed on OCTOBER 29TH at 11:00am hospital time (give or take 6 hrs.) :)

I am SO EXCITED!!!! I think I'll dress up as the luckiest girl in the world for Halloween! :lol:

I can barely contain myself. I am keeping this private so I can't call and gush to my friends or family about it. My husband was the first one I wanted to call anyway.

WOW! I can't wait!!!!!

Love to all the world today from Kansas!!! (This is the best Monday EVER!!!)

congrats! you will be joining us on the loser's bench before you know it.
Grrrr....why do I keep losing the posts I am writing? So frustrating!

Busy, busy work weekend again. No cute 4 year old patients that wanted to give me cornrows, but I did have an adorable 98 year old man that I didn't think would make it through the night Friday. He was so much better by last night that he wouldn't sleep or be quiet all night! He kept having accidents in the bed, and he told me "Someone keeps shitting in my bed!" I about cracked up. Yep, that would be the shit elves! :) They are the worst kind of elves!

too funny:lol:
I am having that stupid pain again. I did sit ups on Friday and ever since then, my port area feels bruised and so I called. It IS a possibility that it slipped (PRAY HARD LADIES). I could have gone in tomorrow, but DH is having surgery, so the soonest I could get in is Thursday am.

I am doing all liquids until then. PRAY PRAY PRAY that there is no slip. I would be devestated to say the least.

PRAY!!!

my thoughts are with you.

No, we're "special". That's different!

One year DH gave me a card signed by all the animals with comments from each one of them. It was so cute.

Each of my pets have different voices. One of the cats (Scooter Bug) has a speech impediment. Fatso uses really bad grammar. Bitten Marie is very soft-spoken but rather haughty. Sophie Bean is quite enthused. Keeley Anna is earnest. Gracie May talks really fast and kind of has ADD.

Yeah, okay. I'm really freakin' weird.:)

No weirdness. We call Dollie (pictured) Olga Korbut and narrate her gymnastic moves. Plus we caution her about losing that girlish figure and falling off the balance beam.

Brandy,

You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. I am sending good wishes your way and lots of hugs.

Deb