Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Okay, ladies. This is weird and I wonder if anyone else has this problem. For the past week or so I have been retaining Water like crazy. It's not just my ankles, but in my hands, face, etc. I don't have a uterus or ovaries, so it's not due to TOM, and I never used to have problems with this. I've tried OTC water pills, drinking a ton of water, etc. It's so bad it's making my joints ache.

I have a weird hypothesis . . . when you're losing fat from your fat cells, the final products of the breakdown are water and CO2. I'm wondering if this is actually because I'm losing fat. I don't know. That's probably wishful thinking, huh? :lol:

Mini,

That doesn't sound right to me. You shouldn't be retaining water like that. You might have an electrolyte imbalance. Can you get in to see your PCP tomorrow? Fluid overload can cause increased blood pressure. Can you check you blood pressure? Are you voiding regularly? When you increase your fluid intake - does your output increase too? Have you been eating a lot of sodium lately?

I'm concerned.

dee~

Thanks everyone for your welcoming comments and well wishes! I need to get used to checking this periodically throughout the day so I can get in on conversation. I'm going to have a hard time concentrating on work this week. I know I'm only going to be thinking about the surgery...I am so excited!!! Shamefully, I might have to take an anxiety pill to get me through the days because I want to scream everytime I think about it.

I've been seriously overweight since I was 5 years old so the idea of being thin is enough to make my heart pound out of my chest.

Yippee!:lol:

I was so excited, scared and nervous before my surgery! Then I just wanted it over with! I wanted to get in there, get that band and start my new life. Make your lists and get all of your supplies before you leave for Denver. It helps keep you focused.

You're going to love your band! Just like Brandy said! I know I do!!!

Mini,

That doesn't sound right to me. You shouldn't be retaining Water like that. You might have an electrolyte imbalance. Can you get in to see your PCP tomorrow? Fluid overload can cause increased blood pressure. Can you check you blood pressure? Are you voiding regularly? When you increase your fluid intake - does your output increase too? Have you been eating a lot of sodium lately?

I'm concerned.

dee~

I am voiding regularly and voiding more with more fluids. My BP was 95/70 the other day at the doctor! It's really weird. I'll see if I can get in to see my PCP tomorrow. That's a good idea.

Sorry to have alarmed so many.

I've gotten so many PM's since my "Going to be away" post that I'll come back and clarify.

First, please withdraw me from the challenge. My focus will be on healing this broken body rather than the numbers of losing pounds.

The physical therapy is quite painful. I come home numb and sore.

I find that adding the challenge of 'did I lose weight' is not productive for me.

I know that I know that I know that I am doing the best I can for myself at this time. That the numbers do not move is no reflection on me not trying. There is just so much going on with my body right now.

The medication, the last one, has me feeling fine one day and then suddenly I woke up and was soooo depressed. Last night I cried for hours.

So between the meds, the scoliosis, the damage to my spine and still trying to work, I find I am so tapped.

We've talked often here about stepping away from things that are not what you need at this time. So I am doing the same.

I feel it necessary to come and touch base so no one worries where I am.

I'm fine but sore and tired and trying to get that balance.

So I'll leave it at that and I know you all understand it when I say I must FIND MY FOOTING. That's what I'm doing.

I'll be back! Love to all.

Take care of yourself, Lap...that's what this is all about:smile2:

OMG Marcy that is hysterical! I can just imagine people packing their swim suits and shorts for an Alaskan cruise...serves them right! Sorry, my Jello mold has no Alaska - so guess I'll put Sarah someplace in Oregon....LOL, my cell phone does not have a camera, but I'll try to get somebody to take a photo

DON'T YOU DARE PUT HER IN OREGON or....or...or...i don't know, but sumthin'

Upcoming Bandito Events:

Body For Life challenge starting 9/17/08 - Lifesaver is our fearless leader! (thanks Life!) 1st 12 week - to end 12/10/08

September 23rd, Atlanta bread Company, @ 5:30pm, Aurora Town Center (we're going to show Deb a good time!)

October (we need to determine a date for our Red Robin group)

November 4th, Meet Jaime for "the night before she joins us on the bench" dinner (location TBD)

(shall we make the 11/4/08 gathering our usual monthly gathering?)

My fill is at 3:15; so will I be on time or late with 5:30 scheduled? I am sooooo excited to meet people:hurray::lol:

HI everyone, I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. K on the 24th of September. I am unbelievably excited!

Welcome, Cassy....great choice!

well, we spent 4 days at our place in Central Oregon high desert. Beautiful weather. Tucker is doing okay. He won't eat consistently: both in frequency and in the menu. What he will eat one day, he puts his nose up the next. Right now he will eat eggs, cheese, and bbq hamburger. I am thinking of opening everything in my pantry and let him pick what he wants! He gets his stitches out Tuesday.

Getting anxious about my first fill!!

Take care of yourself, Lap...that's what this is all about:smile2:

DON'T YOU DARE PUT HER IN OREGON or....or...or...i don't know, but sumthin'

My fill is at 3:15; so will I be on time or late with 5:30 scheduled? I am sooooo excited to meet people:hurray::lol:

Welcome, Cassy....great choice!

well, we spent 4 days at our place in Central Oregon high desert. Beautiful weather. Tucker is doing okay. He won't eat consistently: both in frequency and in the menu. What he will eat one day, he puts his nose up the next. Right now he will eat eggs, cheese, and bbq hamburger. I am thinking of opening everything in my pantry and let him pick what he wants! He gets his stitches out Tuesday.

Getting anxious about my first fill!!

You should be on time. Sometimes his office is running right on time, others not so much. Did you get my cell number? You can call me and we will wait. What time is your flight? Are you coming here alone?

I'm looking forward to meeting you too!!!

I am voiding regularly and voiding more with more fluids. My BP was 95/70 the other day at the doctor! It's really weird. I'll see if I can get in to see my PCP tomorrow. That's a good idea.

It's possible an electrolyte imbalance. But only a blood test can tell you that. I'm glad you're voiding regularly. Any extra sodium intake? Hidden sodium?

Quick question for all of Dr. K's patients... I have heard he does both Lapband and Realize band.... Does Dr. K decide for you or give you the choice? if you chose...which one did you choose? And what was the deciding factor for you?

Thanks

Hello again! Dr.K does give you the choice to decide which band you want. However, the Realize is an additional charge. The last time I checked he is still in negotiation with the company for the price but Natalie thought it would be anywhere from $100-$500 in addition to the $9950. I think I have decided to go with the Lap Band just for the simple fact this is what Dr. K prefers and has the most experience with. After all of my research, I cannot find a significant difference for one vs. the other. Good luck in your decision! :lol:

Cassy and Lowbmier welcome! :lol: I cannot keep up with all these girls so I tend to 'chime' in when I can. :(

Cassy, my surgery is a few days after yours (29th) so you'll have to let me know how it goes. I find myself extremely anxious these days. :cursing: Did you look into Dr.Atkinson's office in Vegas?

I'm calling today and planning to find out information on the lapband vs the realize band. I've heard the Realize band costs more.

I'll let you know!

I'm calling today and planning to find out information on the lapband vs the realize band. I've heard the Realize band costs more.

I'll let you know!

Good luck!!

I read on here that the Realize Band doesn't cost more than $100-$500 more. It was posted somewhere in the last two pages of this thread I think.

Personally, of course the cost is important. Also, like someone else said, I think I'd like to get the band that Dr. K is most comfortable placing, and since he's done so many of the Lap Bands I plan to go with that. Let us know what you find out about pricing!

Okay Jaime!

I'm up for a night out with the Banditos on the 4th of November!

Let's just plan it!

Everyone - save the date!

Oops, I forgot to mention, Yes, I will pray for you and your grandpa! Let us know how things are going, please.

I will get togther with you Jaime. Hopefully, I will be at goal then and you can see what a huge difference 1 year makes!!! I bet your getting excited!!
The 4th is on my calendar...Yay!!!

I will be praying too Jaime. It is always so hard...

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my DH's grandpa. He was much more talkative this weekend than he was at Christmas time (the last time we saw him). He suffered a stroke a few years ago and has been bed-ridden and on around-the-clock nurses' care ever since. Well, in my unprofessional opinion, he was doing better this time than he was at Christmas time! My DH thinks his mother overstated a few things, guilt-tripping us to come out for the weekend since we don't make it out there very often. It certainly seems as though that was the case, because Pops was very chatty and didn't seem at all in pain. I really hope his mother didn't blow things out of proportion to guilt-trip us. :cursing:

Also, thanks for trying to plan a get-together around my surgery! I'd love to meet everyone Tuesday night November 4th. You can calm me down! And I can see all the wonderful results of Dr. K's work - that's sure to do the trick. Just tell me when/where and I'll be there. My pre-op with Dr. K is at 3:30p on Tuesday November 4th and then I'm free.

Brandy ~ Congrats on the Bandiversary!!! Wow, 100lbs in a year! You're such an inspiration!!!!

Can't wait for November!!! Now I have even more to look forward to!!! :lol:

It's possible an electrolyte imbalance. But only a blood test can tell you that. I'm glad you're voiding regularly. Any extra sodium intake? Hidden sodium?

My goal for today is to make SURE I'm not eating hidden sodium. I usually don't worry much about sodium because my BP tends to run low. Weird.