Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Good morning, All! Sorry it's been so long since I posted. My computer is having a hard time loading this web site. Through AOL or MSN, it just won't load all the way. And when it does, this thread won't load, or it bumps me offline completely. Even now I can't get the whole post page on one screen. I have to scroll back and forth. Grrrrrrrr! :angry

Lap Dancer~ Great pictures! What a perfect view you have. How has your fill been going? I'm sure this was gone over the other night, but what size band do you have? You had a big fill. Thinking that I may need more also...

Mal~ Thank you for the lovely compliments. How is your hunger doing? A few more weeks and you can get filled and begin to feel restriction too!

Dynamo~ How has this fill been working for you? How are you doing with tracking your foods through calorie king? I've started writing things down too. For some reason my scale has decided to go up....:) #%@**!!! Who knows why. And I've tried to be more active lately. We went to the zoo for a couple of hours for Cub Scout Day, I've kept the lawn mowed. Things like that. I'm a bit aggravated. I think that I have been averaging 1200 Kcal a day. You would think that would promote weight loss. I haven't been feeling much for restriction lately either. I can chug Water with no problem. Hummm.

Drewslou~ I know your appointment for the knee doc is coming up, but how does it feel? I hope you are feeling and getting around better.

Angie~ Are you home yet? Where are you? How are you doing?

I think that the 12th is just fine with me. Maybe I can get in for another fill before that time. Maybe I just don't know what I am supposed to feel for restriction. I don't seem to have any problems with any foods. Can't figure out if that is good or bad. I'm either tolerating the band really well, or I'm not filled enough. I haven't tried bread, mostly because I just don't do a lot of bread. Maybe I should scarf a big piece and see if there is even a band in there! :nervous food does seem to be keeping me full longer, which is ultimately the goal. But it seems like I still eat more than I should. Or maybe I just can't figure out my brain signal of being full...cuz I really do like food and like to eat. (Sorry to be so whiny!)

Well, have a great day all! I'm going to enjoy this overcast, much cooler day. The warmies are going to be here this weekend!

"Maybe I can get in for another fill before that time. Maybe I just don't know what I am supposed to feel for restriction. I don't seem to have any problems with any foods. Can't figure out if that is good or bad. I'm either tolerating the band really well, or I'm not filled enough. I haven't tried bread, mostly because I just don't do a lot of bread. Maybe I should scarf a big piece and see if there is even a band in there! nervous.gif food does seem to be keeping me full longer, which is ultimately the goal. But it seems like I still eat more than I should. Or maybe I just can't figure out my brain signal of being full...cuz I really do like food and like to eat. (Sorry to be so whiny!)"

Woofay - I am right there with you. I even am hungry today after an egg with some cheese, Starbucks Grande coffee with soy and now a piece of Jerky. This isn't very good. I was discouraged when I went to weigh because the scale has been the same for THREE weeks (altho' Dr. K's scale was a pound and a half lower last Thursday). I do think I eat out too many meals, even though I am careful what I order, I am getting more calories than at home. FRUSTRATION! I am working out harder too, so it'll have to come off. Now, I know I have lost inches, because lots of clothes that I haven't been able to wear are fitting, along with size 18 capris (with small elastic waist at Kohl's yesterday). I wanted to be under 200 when I go to NYC next week, but if I am it'll be by a smidge.

I find that I feel depressed and lonely. I haven't replaced overeating and thinking about food with a constructive other thing. The reading I am doing is sedentary and guess what? I can read and eat at the same time! (Sorry to whine too!)

I need some phone numbers from people who understand my stuff. Anyone want to be phone buddies?

Hugs - it looks like July 12th is a GO!

Hi Ladies and Gents!

Hope all is going well! My computer has a pain in the you know what virus and I too keep getting kicked off and all kinds of pop ups are attacking me!!!! My Laptop works fine and I usually use that in the evening, but I have been so busy during the evening hours...so, here I go...hopefully it will make it through!

LapDancer and Dynamo~Hope your fills are working for you. I sure have been able to eat ALOT, not as much as before surgery but alot more than what I should be...I started to journal my eating too...with Vegas around the corner...I see lack of control coming!

Drews~How's the knee? I can imagine that you are more than ready to get back on your skates!

I treated myself to a pedicure and manicure last night...lovely. Made a promise to treat myself to something special every now and then!

I wish you all a powerful day!

Is anybody just starting or about to start the process with Kirshenbaum? I need and want to have this surgery, but seem to get overwhelmed or discouraged very easily.

8675309~I am very new to this, just banded May 18th. I totally understand the being "overwhelmed and discouraging" feelings, I think we all get them. Believe in yourself, you deserve it! Dr. K is one of the best surgeons, he will take gret care of you. The support here is just what we all need. I truly believe this is the "tool" that many of us have been searching for!....sending you calmness and confidence...

Good day, All! Today finds me a little better. After writing down my foods for several days my weight seems to be going back the other way. Not as far as it was, yet, but perhaps this is what I need to do for a while. I guess that I do more grazing than I am aware of. :)

Mal~ hope banster hell isn't being too rough on you. You sound very positive right now so use the power against the food! Hee hee :)

Dynamo~ I know how you feel. I think that I feel a little sad and lonely without my "friend" food too. Maybe that's why I get so grumpy when I do without it and the scale still doesn't move the right way. It seems to be easier to miss eating when at least the scale cooperates. I have also learned to munch while on the computer.....oh no! Going to have to cut that out!

Have a great day, all!

8675309~I am very new to this, just banded May 18th. I totally understand the being "overwhelmed and discouraging" feelings, I think we all get them. Believe in yourself, you deserve it!

I just called the doctor's office and they said they would e-mail me some information.

I live in Texas and can't figure out how it will work because of the distance. My local doctor (who I'm not crazy about) said he wouldn't approve the surgery because I haven't been fat long enough. (I've been heavy for over ten years.

Thanks for the encouragement!

8675309 - people who don't live here work things out a couple of different ways. You will need to be in Denver for surgery for about three days (to play it safe) or two days (a little less comfortably). The after care like the fills etc, can be handled by a local "fill" doctor (sometimes pricey) or you can fly back into Denver to see Dr. K to be filled. This works for some people and doesn't for others. Most of Dr. K's patients are self-pay. I don't know what the implications are if you are out of state and want to use your insurance. Dr. K is a wonderful orthoscopic surgeon, with a lot of experience. Hope this helps.

Mal - I think my fill just kicked in today. I have a golfball feeling after eating some strawberries. They were so cool and easy to swallow, now I think I may have eaten too many too quickly.

Drews - how's the knee??? Are you up and at 'em yet?

Woofay - I am having to change so many eating habits. I have perrrfect days, and days I really bomb. One thing is for sure I can't eat like I used to, and my habits are in my face now.

Best to you all,

8675309~Good for you for calling!! That step alone took me YEARS!! Once I called the office, the ball started rolling for me. I hope this works out for you. We all deserve to be happy!!

Dynamo~I can't wait to get restriction...nervous but excited to get this thing kick started!

How ya' doing LapDancer?

Woofay~Bandster Hell?? I think for me the Hell part was the Clear Liquids and the Full Liquids...I just wanted to chew, chew, chew!! After that short time, i have been eating whatever, I hope I'm doing this right...I do the protien shakes and Water inbetween, eat my protiens, take my multi and Calcium. I feel sooo hungry, I don't eat as much as I did before the surgery, but I feel like I can eat more than I should be. I am ready for my first fill!!

ooooh, I wanted to share what I found tonight at Target...Murray, sugar free, fudge dipped wafers...YUMMY!! zero sugars, 19 carbs for four Cookies, 140 cals, 10 grams of fat, 2 trans fat...blah, blah...they are delicious..think Kit Kats. What do you think Woofay, do they sound good for us?

One more day and it's off to Vegas$$$$$$$

Goodnight dear friends!

8675309 - people who don't live here work things out a couple of different ways. You will need to be in Denver for surgery for about three days (to play it safe) or two days (a little less comfortably). The after care like the fills etc, can be handled by a local "fill" doctor (sometimes pricey) or you can fly back into Denver to see Dr. K to be filled. This works for some people and doesn't for others. Most of Dr. K's patients are self-pay. I don't know what the implications are if you are out of state and want to use your insurance. Dr. K is a wonderful orthoscopic surgeon, with a lot of experience. Hope this helps.

I'm hoping to fly out for three days or so. Then go back for the first fill or two, then I hope to find a closer doc to do fills. Thanks for the support. I have insurance, but don't feel like waiting to jump through all of their hoops, plus I have an unsupportive PCP.

8675309~Good for you for calling!! That step alone took me YEARS!! Once I called the office, the ball started rolling for me. I hope this works out for you. We all deserve to be happy!!

The call was actually very liberating. And you nailed it about deserving to be happy. I always put my kids, students, husband, friends, etc, before me. Doing something that benefits me feels so selfish, but in actuality it will benefit all of my relationships!

8675309....I'm flying in from Alaska for the surgery...pre-op appt. Monday afternoon with Rx for post-op meds, surgery Tues. morning and fly home Thurs night. I have a fill doctor in Anchorage (this is a VERY expensive thing for me, but worth it, I think) that I'll have to fly in to see so weight loss may take longer for me because I won't be able to do fills as often. After surgery is scheduled, Dr. K will do a phone consult with you...easy, painless, and informational and then his Nutritionist, Paula, will also have a consult with you...again, easy, painless, and informational. I don't know if Dr. K files insurance for you (I'm self-pay), but it won't hurt to get him to write a note saying it's medically necessary and then submit it with your claim. Really, the concern for me wasn't a surgeon away from home, it was finding after-care....once you have that then there aren't too many issues. Good luck.

EVERYONE ELSE: July 12th is good for me...as long as I'm up to it. Just post the when and where and I'll try to be there!

The call was actually very liberating. And you nailed it about deserving to be happy. I always put my kids, students, husband, friends, etc, before me. Doing something that benefits me feels so selfish, but in actuality it will benefit all of my relationships!

I AM THE SAME WAY!!!! I always put EVERYONE before myself...this is something for us!! I know it feels guilty, I often think of what else I could of spent the money on and who else I could of spent the money on, I was even looking for approval from my husband and two sons like "is it okay with them"...We work hard for our money and we spend so much time and effort on others. Let me tell you...once I decided to do this, I felt so much better about myself. So try not to feel selfish, we are giving a better, healthier and happier and person to our husbands, children, families and friends and of course OURSELVES!!

I wish you the best!

Thanks Dynamo!! I hope to bring back lots of $$$$$, I'll probably just lose alot of $$$$ but that's okay too...good friends always = good times!

Ladies, I just checked my calendar for July (and posting Marcyinak's surgery date) when I noticed...The Railbenders (Alternative Country) will be playing outdoors at Southlands Mall @7:00, they have lots of resteraunts and a very nice courtyard with Water fountains and such...anyway check it out online...maybe we could meet up there??? It might not be very convienant to many though, but it is right off of E470 and Smoky Hill...just a thought.