Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hi, I just got home from Denver and was banded on 2/28, I traveled from North East WI. so we have had quite a long day traveling with delays in Chicago. I wish I lived near Dr. Kirshenbaum so that I would be able to follow up with him forever! I will try to make it back there as often as possible, the whole experiance was top notch. Dr. K was wonderful and his staff and everyone at the surgical center across the street were just great:) I think that anyone that lives near him shouldn't even think of anyone else. Right now he is getting busy with everyone traveling from far to get this surgery, you have a gold mine there and no reason to travel. I just can't say enough good, I am so glad that my surgery ended up with Dr. K, because I couldn't come up with the $17,700 that they wanted here in WI. Anyhow I am rambling now, I'm just really tired, talk to you later. Sunnysea :clap2:

Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know it all went well. Welcome to the Light Side. I'm glad to hear you had another great experience with Dr. K. I think it's possible he may be too busy soon to continue with this price. We are the lucky ones! Let us know how your doing in the next few days.

Originally Posted by sunnysea viewpost.gif

Hi, I just got home from Denver and was banded on 2/28,

Congratulations Sunnysea!! Post back when you get some energy and feel like talking more about your trip. I'm so happy you are post surgical!

Congratulations Sunnysea,

Glad you had a great experience. I am scheduled for April 16th with Dr. K and am looking forward to a thinning experience. Let us know how you are doing!

Hi Everyone, I'm doing pretty good, just tired. I wanted to know what Protein powders and ready made shakes you are using? I did order some Unjury but haven't recieved it yet. Paula the Nutr. said to consume them for life between meals. I can see where Dr. K's patients don't have a problem with alot of hunger as time goes on drinking these 3 times a day. Is everyone following this advice????

Hi Everyone, I'm doing pretty good, just tired. I wanted to know what Protein powders and ready made shakes you are using? I did order some Unjury but haven't recieved it yet. Paula the Nutr. said to consume them for life between meals. I can see where Dr. K's patients don't have a problem with alot of hunger as time goes on drinking these 3 times a day. Is everyone following this advice????

I found a pre-mixed Protein Shake called Micellar Milk (or something close to that). It has 40 grams of protein, so that is a lot of protein in one shot. I usually have one of these a day at some point, mixed with yogurt and a banana, or mixed with Peanut Butter. So with that one drink I feel like I'm covered with protein since I also eat solid protein during the day.

I have the Unjury and I like it. That is another good way to go.

I think that drinking the Protein Shakes is a good habit to get into if you can because they do help with the hunger. I think it's just as important to eat enough of the right things as it is to avoid the wrong things. You don't want to just think in terms of eating tiny amounts. That can cause your body to go into starvation mode and resist weight loss. I think it is good to give your body everything it needs. Then it will be happy and you can lose the weight. Since you don't have much room in your stomach with the band, by the time you fill it up with all the items it needs there is not much room for anything else.

Congratulations! I am so proud of you. I remember how discouraged you were when you found out about the financing issue, and now you HAVE YOUR BAND!!! YAY!!!!!:) :)

Hi, I just got home from Denver and was banded on 2/28, I traveled from North East WI. so we have had quite a long day traveling with delays in Chicago. I wish I lived near Dr. Kirshenbaum so that I would be able to follow up with him forever! I will try to make it back there as often as possible, the whole experiance was top notch. Dr. K was wonderful and his staff and everyone at the surgical center across the street were just great:) I think that anyone that lives near him shouldn't even think of anyone else. Right now he is getting busy with everyone traveling from far to get this surgery, you have a gold mine there and no reason to travel. I just can't say enough good, I am so glad that my surgery ended up with Dr. K, because I couldn't come up with the $17,700 that they wanted here in WI. Anyhow I am rambling now, I'm just really tired, talk to you later. Sunnysea :clap2:

Shesha, I thought that you're 1st fill was on the 5th? Just wondering why it got set back?? I'm trying to figure out when I will be heading back, maybe the 5th week out so that I could catch the support meeting they have on the 1st tuesday of each month. If anyone else is going to be there let me know. Dr. K. said the 1st fill should be at 4 weeks, I realize that if we are losing enough we can wait awhile. Also I may dealing with Easter and some spring breakers that week. Sunnysea

It was going to be on March 5th, but work would not let me take two days off during the 1st 10 business days of the month - (just a ton to do with reports and stuff) So, 3/16 was the first date that worked for everyone.

Yes, Dr. K recommends a fill at 4 weeks, but Inamed, and a lot of other Dr.'s say 6, so I decided the longer I waited the better.

Shesha, I thought that you're 1st fill was on the 5th? Just wondering why it got set back?? I'm trying to figure out when I will be heading back, maybe the 5th week out so that I could catch the support meeting they have on the 1st tuesday of each month. If anyone else is going to be there let me know. Dr. K. said the 1st fill should be at 4 weeks, I realize that if we are losing enough we can wait awhile. Also I may dealing with Easter and some spring breakers that week. Sunnysea

Hi Everyone, Well it's 1 week tomorrow! Thank you Mark for the info about Protein Shakes and Thank You to everyone here for your inspiration, kind words, and support:) I am so Dammed glad:D I have my band, ofcourse now I've been reading more of the complication forums:faint: I'm a natural worry wart. I just wonder if most of you feel a tightness in the chest when you breath in? I go back to work on Thursday + I work at Walgreens in cosmetics and actually do alot of running around in a 8hr shift. Atleast it is some exercise, I still poop out fast and my stomach is distended alot. This early banding is weird, I have to get this straight in my head, some things I can have now like soft mushy foods will be the oppisite of what I will need to consume after a fill. Ofcourse everytime I get a fill I will be back to liquids for a few days. If Paula wants us to sip these Protein shakes 3 times a day, when do we have time to drink other fluids? At work I will have to use my 15 min. breaks to get the pr. shakes in and I will have to remember to go to the stock room + time clock area to drink my Water. I already talked to my manager about this, but no drinks on the sales floor. I always have a ton of work to do and or customers so I am really going to have to work at keeping hydrated. Oh there I go again worrying, but I am So So Happy I have this band! Talk to you later, Sunnysea

Well Sunnysea,

You are a month and a couple of weeks ahead of me. Let me keep hearing how things are going. I will be very interested in your progress. I think being busy will help you just get better instead of waiting for a twinge here and there. I meet with the nutritionist tomorrow. I have lots of questions. I will want to really study up on the Protein Shakes in a week or so. I understand I will have to order them from the internet.

Best wishes and happy losing,

Thanks DynamoMini, I'll keep you posted. You are so lucky to be right there in CO., do you live in Denver area? If I ever make it out there for a fill on the support group night I look forward to meeting you. I did order some Unjury Protein Powder that everyone raves about and today at Sams Club I purchased some Atkins pre-made shakes, Paula will tell you the amount of Protein and calories to look for. Congratulations on your future banding!!!! Sunnysea

Thanks for the supportive note. Let me know the next time you are in Denver and we'll get together. I am retired and have time. I have lived here for about 30 years, but grew up in Illinois. I love Denver and am so happy Dr. K is right here. I mean it, let me know when you will be coming out.

Sunny it's great to see you posting one week postop. Glad you seem to be doing great and returning to work. Awesome and I am so envious of you. I can imagine the joy you feel being DONE with the procedure. Way to go.

Mark thanks for the Protein Shake info.

I have my phone consulation in ten days. (I know this is going to go so fast)

Lap Dancer good luck to you too! Things move pretty fast after the phone consult. I usually do more reading than posting, I guess I am pretty happy to be this far. DynamoMini I look forward to meeting up with you, I'll keep you posted as to when I'll be getting a fill. Have you attended any support meetings yet? Sunnysea:)