Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hey Denver Banditos!

Don't forget our next Get Together is on Monday night!

February 9th at 7pm!

Red Robin at Arapahoe and I-25.

I hope many can attend!

AND you out of towners, you'll be in our hearts!

Shoot, I am going to miss it by one day:frown:

Put me down for no loss/no gain this week. Right about now I am so looking forward to my second fill.

I opt for a longer time frame on the next challenge.

Hello,

I am seriously considering Dr. K and would like your input. I talked to the coordinator and was told that there are no pre-op test performed because their patients are overweight but healhy. I asked her how she knew they were healthy if no test were performed and I did not recieve an answer. Also, there is no over night stay at the hospital. Can you tell me if this sounds right? And if the over night stay in the hotel was perferred over the hospital. Any info is appreciated.

Hello,

I am seriously considering Dr. K and would like your input. I talked to the coordinator and was told that there are no pre-op test performed because their patients are overweight but healhy. I asked her how she knew they were healthy if no test were performed and I did not recieve an answer. Also, there is no over night stay at the hospital. Can you tell me if this sounds right? And if the over night stay in the hotel was perferred over the hospital. Any info is appreciated.

Well, Dr. K. does a long evaluation with you over the phone and asks lots of health info. I think that it is VERY important that you are totally upfront with him about any health issues. An alternative would be to go to your primary care physician and have a physical and be cleared for surgery (that's what I chose to do). I was also a little nervous about the lack of testing but after doing a little research I realized that many of the tests that you see other people having are due to insurance regulations more than anything else.

As for spending the night in a hospital . . .I believe that this is normally done as an outpatient surgery, so I don't think it's too unusual. Some places may keep you overnight, but I know that all of our local bariatric surgery places do this as outpatient. I have had a number of surgeries in my life, and this one was one of the easiest. I was fine staying at the hotel with my sweet husband taking care of me.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Obviously it takes a bit of a leap of faith to travel somewhere to an unknown doctor and have this done. I think you can see from this thread, however, that we all adore Dr. K. and are very happy with our choice. Good luck to you!!

Hello,

Everything Mini said was right on. I'm glad that I was in the hotel. It was a nice hotel, I had a full be to myself. My hubby slept in the other full bed. Hospital beds are not comfortable and neither are the pillows. When I could sleep I did. I had my laptop and journaled when I felt up for it. I had a bunch of single serving Jello and bought a case of bottled Water. I had to get in the car and ride home for 7 hours the next day. I wish I lived closer and I wouldn't have wanted to fly but it was okay. You only have to do that once. After you heal the fills are no big deal IMO.

Actually except for the drive I LOVE fills. I could get addicted to them if I lived closer! :thumbdown:

I understand that his pre-op is answering questions but what if there is a condition that I am not aware of? Most doctors cover the pre-op test cost with the cost of the surgery. I wonder if he is skipping the pre-op test for cost, what else is he skipping? I just want to pick the BEST option for me.

If you are worried then have your doc clear you. Standard pre-op is an EKG, Chest X-ray and Urine sample. That's it. And it can be waved for a generally healthy person. If we don't have a UA then that is ok and often times insurance doesn't even pay for a CXR for general surgery. I work in a hospital. If you have had a history of heart problems and such Dr. K may have you get clearance from your doc.

I was wheeled to surgery at 11:00am and discharged at 2:30. I wasn't worried about my heart or lungs. I am a healthy person. If you have questions ask Dr. K. If you still have reservation then find a different doctor.

Wow, please don't get pissy about it. I just have concerns and wonder if anyone has experienced it firsthand. I am only asking for advice and first hand experience.

Hey Denver Banditos!

Don't forget our next Get Together is on Monday night!

February 9th at 7pm!

Red Robin at Arapahoe and I-25.

I hope many can attend!

AND you out of towners, you'll be in our hearts!

Hi Dee,

I'll be there tonight, and I'm also bringing a friend from work who was recently banded by a Kaiser doc.

Could you share your recipe for doing the steel cut oats in the crock pot?

Sorry your internet guy was a turkey. I have had the same experience, not fun at all. Keep in mind is is HIS loss.

Wow, please don't get pissy about it. I just have concerns and wonder if anyone has experienced it firsthand. I am only asking for advice and first hand experience.

No, not pissy at all, I promise.

Hello loverly ladies. I am coming to a conference in Denver April 1-5 and just made an appointment for a fill Thursday, April 2 at 10. I am going to fly in Wednesday afternoon and spend the night at a La Quinta near the Aurora Town Center (??) and then go my fill in the AM then take a cab downtown for the conference. I'm wondering if we can plan a get-together the evening of the 1st. Anyone, anyone???

HEY everybody! save me a seat for Red Robin tonight. I wanna catch up on the group. 7pm right?

Sorry John! I just got home from work and I have a horrible headache. I'm not going to make it to Red Robin tonight.

I hope you guys have a good time! Take a picture for all of us!

Hi Dee,

I'll be there tonight, and I'm also bringing a friend from work who was recently banded by a Kaiser doc.

Could you share your recipe for doing the steel cut oats in the crock pot?

Sorry your internet guy was a turkey. I have had the same experience, not fun at all. Keep in mind is is HIS loss.

I came home from work with a bad headache, so I'm not going to RR. Sorry for missing you guys!

I'll post my recipe later, if that's okay.

And about the internet guy, you're right, it is his loss. He's stupid and shallow and I wasn't looking for a Love Connection, just a friend to hang out with once in a while!

Life goes on...

Hello loverly ladies. I am coming to a conference in Denver April 1-5 and just made an appointment for a fill Thursday, April 2 at 10. I am going to fly in Wednesday afternoon and spend the night at a La Quinta near the Aurora Town Center (??) and then go my fill in the AM then take a cab downtown for the conference. I'm wondering if we can plan a get-together the evening of the 1st. Anyone, anyone???

Mini, I think April fools day is a great night for a red robin get together! Let's do it.

HEY everybody! save me a seat for Red Robin tonight. I wanna catch up on the group. 7pm right?

John, I'll look for you there.

Sorry John! I just got home from work and I have a horrible headache. I'm not going to make it to Red Robin tonight.

I hope you guys have a good time! Take a picture for all of us!

Dee,

I'm sorry you're not feeling good. I know you must be sick to miss a red robin night. Feel better!

Hello,

Hey Friend:

I read your somewhat skeptic post and smiled to myself. It was easy to recognize my own familiar wary attitude in your words.

I think being morbidly obese is not an easy 'job'. First off, you have every Tom, Dick and Mary and their Fat Free Medical Side Show flooding the airwaves, magazines and email with the next miracle cure to your hopelessly helpless life of fatness. The magic comes for only $XX plus S & H and YOU TOO will soon be just like the model wearing a bikini. Most times they are selling a dream and not a valid medically safe method.

By the time I FOUND Dr. Kirshenbaum, I had been through my own Oprah's Diet list of all the diet attempts to lose weight, and two seminars locally on weight loss surgery. Why did I not go with the surgeon here in Florida? The first one was gastric bypass, cutting my organs? No thanks., the second one was Dr. Feelbad who spent a portion of the office consult hashing me out for being as heavy as I was ( 381 at that visit ). I was going to tell him I use to way 402 for kicks just to watch his eyes roll back but thought otherwise. At any rate, my thick skin got even thicker once he told me, in front of my husband, I would not fit on his surgical table. Whether or not my insurance covered it was the lesser issue after that visit. This 'doctor' did not seem to have the compassionate professionalism associated with most doctors who deal with disabling disorders. I know this because I work with deaf students, have a deaf foster daughter, my son has auditory processing deficits and was also a premie. I've had my share of the disabled end of the world and also I took it up a notch and got trained as an Advocate for disabled individuals covering the IDEA (education law for disabled children) and a portion of the ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act. The general professional attitude amongst those who work with individuals with life incumbering concerns is not one of chastisement. It tends to lead more on the proactive side of resolution or atleast what can be done as a plan to help this citizen. Dr. Feelgood was no where close to that.

I cannot tell you where I found Dr. Kirshenbaum but I believe it was from another MOP ..morbidly obese person who was basically in the self pay boat looking for the best surgeon at the best facility.

I called one surgeon in Mexico, wonderful secretary, very personable but when I expressed concerns over post surgical care in the U.S. there didn't seem to be a clear path already laid which she could articulate well.

From there my next jump was Dr. Kirshenbaum. I always field my doctors by a call to the office. I am looking for three things:

1. How many rings before they pick-up. *If you have a situation and you are close to going to the ER but don't want without first speaking to the doctor, you call the office. If it rings and rings and rings, and then you get cogged on hold that shows a busy office that has not effectively distributed their patient services.

2. Ease of facilitated information. The person you first speak with at a doctor's office is truly the face of his practice. I know exactly what I am looking for, I by then had already researched the band from it's design in France and use in Canada. I am now ready to explore surgery options. When I called, "Marilyn" was the voice at the other end. She was gracious, informed, answered my questions and also said she had worked for Dr. K for twenty years. Finding ANYBODY in medicine who has worked with the same group for twenty years is rare. But it showed me she had faith in her employer. Marilyn sent me an info packet and the next thing was a call from Dr. Kirshenbaum.

3. The doctor. I do not like to feel rushed. I want my questions answered in a way that if I do not understand them the doctor is concerned enough about my health that as a patient of his he would also like me as educated about my condition to eleviate any concerns or questions. Dr. K sent me a power point via the internet which as an educator is unseen outside the classroom, in the real world in medicine. I regularly take "WEBINAR" classes and to be honest, Dr. K's presentation was the best webinar I had particpated in. I also could pause and discuss specifics of his material as we were both looking at the same page via internet. So not only was he a good educator, he also spoke very clearly and concise and explained things in a way that left me feeling confident not only in the Lap Band but in his knowledge base as a surgeon.

I also did a little search on him. FIRST, his medical practice is laparoscopic surgery. If you didn't know, what is happening these days is "doctors" are crosstraining into Lap Band surgery and beginning this, probably, profitable new remedy to obesity. Do they have extensive clinical expertise in surgery...ahhh, not so much. So with Dr. Kirshenbaum, not only are you getting an exceptional device in the band but you are having it done by a man whose medical practice before Lap Band came along was, is and remains s-u-r-g-e-r-y with a laparoscope. How many surgeries? Over 10,000. Yeah. When Routine Surgery Turns Into a Nightmare - ReliableAnswers.com

Here's an article I came across non-band related but related to laparscoic surgery. Dr. K contributed to the article.

I know this is long winded but I really did my homework with him and I cannot sing his praises enough with where I am in my life and where I was and the surgery itself. Let's talk about that.

I'll post seperately about the surgery and your concerns on being healthy and preop testing.