Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Autoimmune Issues and VSG?

I have Psoriatic Arthritis and psoriasis. I am on a horse-sized dose of Remicaid' date=' and voltaren daily. I am on the OR table tomorrow for the sleeve.

I will certainly know more about this soon. I have high hopes because the autoimmune disorder is killing me. Constant discomfort and very often pain. I know that weight and diet won't fix this alone, but I am hoping that a major reduction in weight will be helpful.

The only thing I am nervous about is how, if at all, the medicine will impact my healing and how my body will react to it once I re-start it after surgery.[/quote']

I was told to hold off my RA meds until my incisions healed so they would not slow down the healing....work with your surgeon and Rheumatologist about restarting the meds, and good luck tomorrow!!!!

I am about 8 weeks post op and I have Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed by one Rhuemy with RA and another said I don't have RA' date=' so I'm kind of in limbo on that. The original Rheumy said my symptoms matched RA but I only ever had one blood test that came back with a high Rhuematoid Factor. After that no markers of inflamation. She put me on Plaquenil for 9 months or so but it never helped so I stopped it. Dr. feels my body hasn't really figured out what's going on but my symptoms indicate that I may have more issues down the road. So for now I just take Savella for the fibro which does help some. The pain I have always managed with ibuprofen.

After surgery, I didn't have any fibro pain or symptoms for 4-5 weeks. Then I started getting the same knee, shoulder pain and some achyness like before. Only now I can't take ibuprofen. Thankfully it hasn't been quite as bad and I can manage it. I really think the 43 pounds I've lost helps with that. I plan to see the doctor for some pain med that I can take with the sleeve (tylenol does nothing for me). I really started to wonder if I have some kind of food sensitivity because I was really eating a limited diet until 4 weeks post-op. Maybe I started eating the offending food again (gluten??). I don't know. Just a theory.[/quote']

That's a pretty good theory....you could always go back to what you were doing prior to the 4 week mark, then gradually add a new food every 4 to 5 days to see if you respond negatively....or if you have a good idea (ex: wheat?) Just get a blood allergy test for that item or the most common items like wheat, milk, eggs, fish, etc.....it is not as definite as the skin tests are, but it is less painful and gives a good indication.

Have a question on meds. I saw my Rheumy today and he asked me to take an Enbrel shot exactly 7 days before the surgery and then, to stop the shots and the methrotexate until the time that almost no one gets an infection after surgery. I don't really know what time that is, and plan to ask the surgeon, but was wondering if you guys were given specific timing for when to get back on it, or if you just got back on when you started hurting?

I take 9 methotrexate and an Enbrel weekly.

Have a question on meds. I saw my Rheumy today and he asked me to take an Enbrel shot exactly 7 days before the surgery and then' date=' to stop the shots and the methrotexate until the time that almost no one gets an infection after surgery. I don't really know what time that is, and plan to ask the surgeon, but was wondering if you guys were given specific timing for when to get back on it, or if you just got back on when you started hurting?

I take 9 methotrexate and an Enbrel weekly.[/quote']

I was told by my surgeon that I needed to stop my methotrexate injection 2 weeks before surgery and at least 3 weeks after surgery. This has me concerned!!! I can't imagine going off the injection!

I was told by my surgeon that I needed to stop my methotrexate injection 2 weeks before surgery and at least 3 weeks after surgery. This has me concerned!!! I can't imagine going off the injection!

Wow I would be too. I sometimes skip an injection because I am a naughty girl, but at the end if two weeks, I sure start to feel some aches and pains.

Wow I would be too. I sometimes skip an injection because I am a naughty girl' date=' but at the end if two weeks, I sure start to feel some aches and pains.[/quote']

I can't miss a week or I am in tremendous pain. I really dread that part of this journey!!!

I got off the pills 5weeks b4 surgery but was told the same off 2 weeks b4 surgery and 3weeks after. My surgery date was changed which is Why i was off so long. Surgery was 6/18 was feeling pretty good, so i went à little longer with out the meds, but some of the pain is returning à little more intense now, im due to see the RA doctor soon, but it sure was good while it lasted.:-)

I saw my rheumy today, almost 4 weeks post op.....I stopped my methotrexate (8 tabs weekly) and enbrel about 2 weeks prior and restarted the enbrel (only) when my incisions healed, about 2 weeks after surgery. The rheum told me today she will switch me to methotrexate injections equivalent to 4 tabs per week....then may back NE off it completely i seem to be going into remission......so far so good as far add rheum pain post op too,!

Hello all...I'm now scheduled for surgery on August 6. I'm going through a fairly bad flare up in my right hand. I took my last 6 methotrexate two nights ago (2 weeks before surgery). I will see the surgeon today to figure out the plan for restarting. I might see my rheumy to ask about injections instead of oral. I'm hoping I can handle this without ibuprofen. I'm so dependent on it! Scary to think about.

Anyone else with an August surgery date?

Brenda, how are you doing? Still recovering well?

Brenda' date=' how are you doing? Still recovering well?[/quote']

I am still doing very well....picked up my methotrexate injections but have not been able to bring myself to give it to me...I have no problem with the enbrel injector pen but then again I don't see that needle, lol....I know it is a mental thing, I have given other people shots for years......otherwise doing well, just keeping busy with various appts.....had insomnia last night, did not get to sleep until 5:00...my alarm went off at 8:30 for a Water aerobics class, luckily it was raining so I went back to sleep and slept through my stretch class, :-/ note I just want to be lazy.....have to go to physical therapy for my elbow later tho. August is coming quickly!! Best of luck!!

Question: Are the injections because of issues swallowing pills and out small tummy? I notice many going from pills to shots...

I can swallow tablets bigger than that now, but it is because of the type of medication it is and the healing tummy inside cannot handle that medicine yet....maybe one day....I CAN take a sinus (Sudafed) tablet or 1/2 of my synthroid at a time...1/2 and 1/2 with separate sips of water.....but the surgeon did not want me to take the methotrexate that way yet.......btw, I did give myself that shot this morning and it was not as bad as my head thought it would be, lol....

I can swallow tablets bigger than that now' date=' but it is because of the type of medication it is and the healing tummy inside cannot handle that medicine yet....maybe one day....I CAN take a sinus (Sudafed) tablet or 1/2 of my synthroid at a time...1/2 and 1/2 with separate sips of Water.....but the surgeon did not want me to take the methotrexate that way yet.......btw, I did give myself that shot this morning and it was not as bad as my head thought it would be, lol....[/quote']

Oh ok thx for explaining