Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or Plication? Scared to death and nervous.

I'm 41 years old and I have battled my weight since age 5. As a teenager, I went to fat camp many summers (I lost in summer, but gained it back). I'm 6'2'' tall. At age 25 is was 200lbs. Age 30: 235lbs. Age 40: 260 pounds. Now, I'm two months shy of age 42, I'm at 270. The problem is, I'm always hungry and diets are hell. I was around 185lbs from age 18-21, but I had to do aerobic exercise at least 45 min a day and diet like hell all the time. The moment I stopped dieting or exercising I gained weight.

My best friend (who has always had natural six pack abs) calls me insane for wanting this done, and tells me workout/hit the gym, but he has no idea what it's like to wage a 37 year weight loss battle (i used to go to the gym, but I admit I've sort of given up).

What I'm most freaked out about is the irreversibility of this surgery. I read one post (somewhere) where it basically ruined a woman's life (gave her all sorts of health issues and illnesses she never had before the surgery). I don't want to be that one in a thousand people whose life is ruined by this.

In January of 2012, I did go to Mexicali and met with Dr. Aceves. I also met with Dr. Oritz (obesity control) and another doctor in T.J. whose name I don't recall, but it was a scary place. I was seriously considering doing it, but but chickened out and decided I would mount one last offensive and lose some weight (now I'm 10 pounds heavier).

I've been looking at the sleeve and plication and tend to think the plication is safer, but it's so untested (and what about ghrelin?) Has anyone out there come across any information that led you to choose the sleeve over plication. Please let me know - and any other words of advice would be welcome and appreciated. Thank you, Daniel

I don't know anything about the plication, but I had the sleeve done on Tuesday, 26 Mar and went back to work half days 2 days later. No complications, no issues, no leaks. I had to ask myself what I was willing to sacrifice to finally get off the roller coaster of weight loss, weight gain, weight loss over my life. I am 46 and would do it again in a heartbeat! Just starting my weight loss journey and so excited for the outcome!!! Good luck.

My mother had the plication and was starving all the time and didn't lose any weight. I've had 10 friends do the sleeve and only one had complications. He had a leak and has been on stints and feeding tubes for 3 months. That makes 20% complication rate for my friends. I am having a hard time going through with the surgery, even though I need it.

The first surgeon I went to was a big plication fan. I decided against it because I realized it wouldn't help with hunger. I get hungry but not like pre- op days. Plus I thought the possible complications with plication sounded worse- necrotic stomach, no thank you. I have been blessed with a relatively smooth recovery since my VSG.

I'd recommend really looking harder at plication.

Many of the original assumptions about plication have proven to be in error.

Plication was originally thought to be reversible, real cases have proven otherwise. The folded portion of the stomach has a tendency to grow together therefore making it irreversible.

Another misconception is that plication is safer or has less propensity for complications. Reality is that it is long term a riskier surgery. The aforementioned folds that grow together also tend to necrosify(die), also there have been multiple occasions there the sutures that have also torn the stomach.

Another thing to consider is that with plication the fundus still exists and can further stretch. Additionally as you referred to grehlin production is not altered through plication.

Lastly consider the fact that while the sleeve is gaining in popularity & becoming more common, many surgeons are ceasing to offer plication as an option.

SKIP plication!! Its not reversible! It actually looks more dangerous. I wanted it at first but now think sleeve is way better after lots of research and discussions with top surgeons.

I have the plication and love it. You ask a question like this and you will get all kinds of responses. There are certainly pros and cons to both. The plication is newer but the sleeve was new at one point too. I would suggest talking

To surgeons and looking up

Medical research to help you decide. Hearing stories or rumors from people who don't have it or haven't gone through it does an injustice to a procedure that is here to help you get healthier and live a longer life. I could have had the sleeve (same price) but chose the plication for personal reasons. The sleeve has worked for many and I have met some fantastic friends on here that are successful with it. But... My mother had it done just over a year ago and almost died. This last year for her has been unreal and she is still not working. Anyway I've come across way more success stories about the sleeve than not, but my moms experience hit too close to home. Was I scared of choosing a newer procedure? Hell yes, but for me after my research and personal experience it was the right choice for me. I am low bmi sw 203 5'7, dec 3/12 and am down to 165 now. I am grateful for this wonderful tool. Do I feel hungry sometimes? Yes but not like I used to. And the amount I eat to feel full

Or satisfied has decreased immensely. It's like a miracle lol. No complications, I feel great. If you are worried about the ghrenalin horomone search it here and you will find that all sleevers have different experiences with feeling hungry. Some not at all, some all the time. You never know, that horomone might come in handy one day lol. Is it reversible? My surgeon says yes, but why would I want to reverse it lol? I just thought If something ever happens I could revise to a sleeve as opposed to rny. And that portion of my stomach that I kept might come in handy one day. You never know what we might need out organs for lol. Anyway I just wanted you to hear from someone that has it and is grateful for it. The plication board is a little slow but there are tons

On the lb site and a few on here that have it but don't voice it for fear of bashing it;) good luck with your decision! I'm sure you will be successful either way!

It's not reversible... When you fold your stomach it grows together.

It's not reversible... When you fold your stomach it grows together.

Oh do you have the plication? You

Must have got info I missed when discussed this with my surgeon who

Performed my plication. Ill tell you what's not reversible is the piece of stomach they throw out when you have the sleeve done.

Oh do you have the plication? You

Must have got info I missed when discussed this with my surgeon who

Performed my plication. Ill tell you what's not reversible is the piece of stomach they throw out when you have the sleeve done.

You do know you are on a Sleeve forum right? And you do know no body mentioned that Sleeve was reversible? We are looking for permanent weight loss. Coming on here insulting any SLEEVE patient is pointless.

Plication is not reversible, maybe a short time after the procedure but the stomach will eventually grow together making it nearly impossible to safely reverse. So yes, looks like your surgeon skipped over that unfortunately.

Please get back to us if you reverse your surgery.

This is what I told/asked myself.

Why would it matter if it was reversible? Is it because you might want to go back to over eating, get fat again and be the old unhealthy you? Are you afraid of missing the food you are so used to pigging out on and being so uttely grossed out and unhappy with yourself? Do you want a way to get out of it when you feel you just can't live without your junk crap food? Etc etc etc...

Either you are ready for a permanant healthy change to a better you or you are not

If you guys read my reply at all no where was I dissing sleeve patients, rather those that do not have the plication and think they know everything about it. So unless you are a surgeon who has experience in performing the surgery your info is at best a guess or here say. Also I never said I would want to reverse my plication, but rather keep my whole stomach in case I need it lol. Which is another long personal story that I don't need to go into, it has to do with my medical history. My reply was to the op who asked about both procedures. I explained my opinion about my surgery, why don't you guys spend your time discussing the pros and cons Of your surgery as opposed to dissing other people's procedures

I had my sleeve done by the most prominent bariatric surgery center in the state of Illinois. They never mentioned the word "plication". They offer three options: lap band, sleeve and Roux-en-Y bypass.

I had my sleeve done by the most prominent bariatric surgery center in the state of Illinois. They never mentioned the word "plication". They offer three options: lap band' date=' sleeve and Roux-en-Y bypass.[/quote']

Yes it's quite new in North America Jon. It started in brazil and the Middle East 10 years ago. Since its been around awhile and the suture technique had been perfected it is now being done more in Mexico and the United States. The sleeve is a great wls, but I am grateful for another wls to be available for those that don't want the band, or can't have the sleeve;)

If you guys read my reply at all no where was I dissing sleeve patients, rather those that do not have the plication and think they know everything about it. So unless you are a surgeon who has experience in performing the surgery your info is at best a guess or here say. Also I never said I would want to reverse my plication, but rather keep my whole stomach in case I need it lol. Which is another long personal story that I don't need to go into, it has to do with my medical history. My reply was to the op who asked about both procedures. I explained my opinion about my surgery, why don't you guys spend your time discussing the pros and cons Of your surgery as opposed to dissing other people's procedures

Did I claim to know everything about it? I have worked in Bariatrics for over 7 years, Plication is a very new procedure- ANYONE uncertain about WLS surgery should know that nothing is guaranteed- INCLUDING Plication being reversible. There is just not enough research for surgeons to tell patients its completely reversible.