Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!

I just turned 18 on March 17, 2013. I had my sleeve gastrectomy on March 26, 2013. I am currently two days post-op and already feeling worried. I am having a really hard time noticing when I'm full, and I'm craving all kinds of real food already. Is it normal to feel hungry? How difficult was it for some of you to learn to listen to your body and know when you're full?

I believe that's head hunger. Just make sure you get in your Proteins and your fluids each day. I'm still trying to listen to my body....since I'm not sure when I'm full either, I measure my food.< /p>

I believe that's head hunger. Just make sure you get in your Proteins and your fluids each day. I'm still trying to listen to my body....since I'm not sure when I'm full either, I measure my food.

My doctor is only allowing me Clear liquids until 1pm tomorrow so all I've eaten is Soup broth, unsweetened tea, crystal light, and Water. Tomorrow I can start my Protein shakes. I guess I'm just worried that I'm still hungry but I'm fighting the cravings.

Hi crazee and welcome. This adjustment to a whole new way of eating is a challenge. I am 3 weeks out from surgery and no expert but I can tell you my experience so far. I think a lot of us feel hungry afterwards. It's partially because your mind still thinks the way it always did and partially because you haven't eaten in a while and you want it. Your hunger feelings are very normal. The question is are you really hungry or is it just the desire for food. I was hungry too. 3 weeks later I recognize that it's not really hunger - it's a head game. I get less hungry each day and so will you. Trying to figure out when you are full is a new experience as well. Probably most of us have had trouble with that. The fact is that your new stomach can hold maybe 4 oz at a time. This will get a lot easier with each day but in the meantime just remember how much you can hold and try not to exceed that. You'll undoubtedly eat too much on occasion and you will know it when you do. Your new stomach will let you know in no uncertain terms that you went too far. Hope this helps and have faith - it gets better all the time. Congratulations on your sleeve and I hope you find a lot of support here:)

You all may need a PPI, many times that helps. Acid reflux mimics hunger.

Congratulations on your surgery! You are still healing, so take it slow. liquids gave me a very different feeling than more solid foods. For the first week, I took sips from a 1oz. cup every 15 minutes. Focus on getting in your Water initially.

Did your doctor prescribe a PPI for you? Often acid mimics hunger pains

As your diet progresses you'll learn when you're feeling food, you might find that measuring all your meals to 3-4oz. helpful. When I cook for the week, I portion things out in 4oz. containers for later use, I find it really helpful. And most times I cannot finish the 4 oz. When you get to purees and soft foods, you'll want to go slow, chew really well and take breaks in between bites.

I try not to eat until I'm "full" Full now is a little uncomfortable. Denser foods fill you quicker, so go accordingly.

You will get the hang of it, and when all else fails, call your NUT.

Good luck!!!

I am 7 weeks post op and just started getting that full feeling within the past week or two. Previously I always seemed to take one bite too many and everything came right back up. Fortunately, it's all tiny amounts of food but it was painful and maddening. My experience is that as I heal internally, the messages of satisfaction become much easier to read. Give it a couple weeks. In the meantime, just try to measure food in increments of about 2oz per meal to prevent the nastiness I went through.

Sweetie, you need to realize something very important here or you will never win this battle against obesity. We are the same as before the operation. You didn't have your appetite or your cravings removed. They are all still there inside your body and if you don't learn to control those hungers, now that your doctor shrunk your stomach, all you'll end up doing is sabotaging yourself. You don't want to do that now do you? The doctor only helped you by reducing your stomach size so you shouldn't over do. This is your time to really analyze what you really want for youself. Do you want this opportunity to finally lose the weight, or are you going to continue to find excuses for why you can't? It's up to you right now. I'm sure your doctor told you not to eat any foods for six weeks, just liquids, that means 60-80% of Proteins per day. NO food. You'll love me for this later. Fight those urges with all you got. In the end you will have won the battle, and won it. Good Luck

First of all.. Welcome! And second, congrats on taking the steps to become a healthier and happier you .. Especially at such a young age. I only wish I could have done this 35 years ago and I wouldn't have yoyo'ed my way into such unhealth. Good for you!

Now, chances are you're not really hungry, but some do say they didn't lose their hunger post-op, so who knows, right? Either way, you have to set your mind and realize you're the one who gets to say if you're really hungry or not. You will know when you're full and if you don't.. Your new tummy will let you know and not in a kind way at all. It only took me once to know never eat too much, too fast or the wrong thing and from then on I ate with caution.

I see you're from the Seattle/Evt area... So am I :D pm me if you need support

Sweetie' date=' you need to realize something very important here or you will never win this battle against obesity. We are the same as before the operation. You didn't have your appetite or your cravings removed. They are all still there inside your body and if you don't learn to control those hungers, now that your doctor shrunk your stomach, all you'll end up doing is sabotaging yourself. You don't want to do that now do you? The doctor only helped you by reducing your stomach size so you shouldn't over do. This is your time to really analyze what you really want for youself. Do you want this opportunity to finally lose the weight, or are you going to continue to find excuses for why you can't? It's up to you right now. I'm sure your doctor told you not to eat any foods for six weeks, just liquids, that means 60-80% of Proteins per day. NO food. You'll love me for this later. Fight those urges with all you got. In the end you will have won the battle, and won it. Good Luck[/quote']

I agree with most of the sentiments you just said, but one thing I would point out is that every surgeon is different, and my doctor told me Protein shakes were not allowed after 2 weeks post op. At that point I have to start soft foods, and 4 weeks out dense Protein. Not that either dr is wrong, but she should probably stick with what her doctor said, and we should try not to make assumptions based on our own experiences.

Thank you all for the advice and support! I think I was just dealing with a lot of emotions and head cravings from seeing foods. Starting the full liquid diet has made it a lot easier to recognize when I'm full and when I need to eat. On another note, how difficult was it for some of you to get Protein in? My doctor told me 60g a day and I can't even get in one 30g shake. I want to try Protein Shots but there seems to be a lot of controversy over whether those are helpful or not. Thank you for the support!